News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Final round 59 wins?
« on: August 01, 2010, 10:39:30 PM »
And nobody seems to care?  Did I really just see/read that?

28 on the front nine for Blanks...

J.B Holmes missed a birdie putt on 18 for another 59 on Saturday...

Do the masses enjoy watching this slaughter?  Is this really better than the U.S. Open type championship golf where even par wins???
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Garland Bayley

Re: Final round 59 wins?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 10:42:09 PM »
Not only do we care, Greg Tallman predicted it before the tournament began

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45256.0/
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:45:23 PM »
Michael-When I got online tonight after I found out that Appleby shot the 59, I was very surprised to see that no one was talking about the world being about to come to an end because of this round. I don't really like seeing individual round scores that low, but the total score I am fine with. US Open scoring is fun once or twice a year, other than that, lets see them play. I think these 59's are still far more rare than a perfect game in baseball, and no one seems to be thinking the world is ending because there have been two of those this year.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:47:23 PM »
Michael-When I got online tonight after I found out that Appleby shot the 59, I was very surprised to see that no one was talking about the world being about to come to an end because of this round. I don't really like seeing individual round scores that low, but the total score I am fine with. US Open scoring is fun once or twice a year, other than that, lets see them play. I think these 59's are still far more rare than a perfect game in baseball, and no one seems to be thinking the world is ending because there have been two of those this year.

A funny thing happened on the way to the records book, however....

.....with so many 60's and 61's thrown around, suddenly 59 doesn't seem quite as impressive.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:49:05 PM »

.....with so many 60's and 61's thrown around, suddenly 59 doesn't seem quite as impressive.

No, the world as we know it ended when a junior shot 57 from 6600 yards to set a Guiness Book of World Records record.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »

IIRC, its still less than 20 people total, in 150~ years of competitive golf (from the beginning of the British Open) have shot sub-60 in competition. Fine, 3 have come this year, but its still not a common occurrence. 3 rounds of 59 also happened in less than 12 months in 1998-1999 as well, took 11 years to see another one in an event, not a qualifying round or Q-School.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:59:38 PM »
interesing stat, John K. Moore....

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 11:03:07 PM »

No, the world as we know it ended when a junior shot 57 from 6600 yards to set a Guiness Book of World Records record.

Garland: You said it right, a 6600 yard course. He will be playing at a major conference university next year. Give me the starting 5 golfers from every school in the Big 12, Pac 10, ACC, SEC, Big 10, and Big East, let them all play 3 rounds under the same set-up seen in that tournament, and I will bet that 1/3 of that field shoots a lower 3 round gross than he did (-18) and you'll probably see 5 rounds of 59 or better. 6600 yards is a joke of a golf course for a guy with that level of skill. Keep playing PGA Tour events on 6900~ yard golf courses that feature soft greens and limited rough and you'll see more rounds like that shot. Give that course today some brick hard greens and grow that rough up a inch or so and its a totally different golf course. (BTW, Pebble Beach played roughly the same length as The Old White and you didn't see any 59's there did you?)

rboyce

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 11:07:55 PM »
There have been a lot of no-hitters in baseball this year too. Have golf courses stopped taking steroids? More seriously, is it possible that hole locations are being set in easier spots?

John Moore II

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 11:15:14 PM »
There have been a lot of no-hitters in baseball this year too. Have golf courses stopped taking steroids? More seriously, is it possible that hole locations are being set in easier spots?

When greens are as soft as the ones seen today and yesterday at The Old White, pretty much any pin is fairly easy. Like I said, fairly similar designs and course lengths at Pebble Beach and The Old White. Pebble Beach yielded Even par golf, The Old White yeilded -22. I do think Pebble was slightly over the top as far as trickiness, but it goes to show how much difference set-up can make.

As far as the 59's go, prior to the two this year, there have been 14, 8 and 11 years between the rounds on the PGA Tour. This has just been two guys playing incredible golf in excellent scoring conditions, I don't expect this to become anything close to a trend.

David_Elvins

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 11:38:43 PM »
When greens are as soft as the ones seen today and yesterday at The Old White, pretty much any pin is fairly easy. Like I said, fairly similar designs and course lengths at Pebble Beach and The Old White. Pebble Beach yielded Even par golf, The Old White yeilded -22.

Would Pebble be a windier site as well?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 11:49:50 PM »
I missed the broadcast. Did they mention that in 1960, 11 days before his 47th birthday Sam Snead shot 59 at the Greenbier in the Sam Snead Festival, which used to be the GreenBrier Invitational. The tour doesn't recognize it, but there was a fine field of tour players. 

John Moore II

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 11:53:25 PM »
When greens are as soft as the ones seen today and yesterday at The Old White, pretty much any pin is fairly easy. Like I said, fairly similar designs and course lengths at Pebble Beach and The Old White. Pebble Beach yielded Even par golf, The Old White yeilded -22.

Would Pebble be a windier site as well?

Yes it would, but I don't remember the wind blowing all that much at Pebble this year. Certainly not enough to influence scoring nearly as much as it did at the British Open. So far as I recall, the conditions were pretty much as good as you'll find at Pebble Beach for the 4 days.

Steve Kline

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 06:11:49 AM »

Garland: You said it right, a 6600 yard course. He will be playing at a major conference university next year. Give me the starting 5 golfers from every school in the Big 12, Pac 10, ACC, SEC, Big 10, and Big East, let them all play 3 rounds under the same set-up seen in that tournament, and I will bet that 1/3 of that field shoots a lower 3 round gross than he did (-18) and you'll probably see 5 rounds of 59 or better. 6600 yards is a joke of a golf course for a guy with that level of skill. Keep playing PGA Tour events on 6900~ yard golf courses that feature soft greens and limited rough and you'll see more rounds like that shot. Give that course today some brick hard greens and grow that rough up a inch or so and its a totally different golf course. (BTW, Pebble Beach played roughly the same length as The Old White and you didn't see any 59's there did you?)

That's not exactly true JKM. I've played in the Southeastern AM twice. Once in the mid '90s and then in 2008. It was all college kids (from many of the major conferences but the SEC and ACC represented the most) both times except for a few mid-ams. The tourney is always played at the Country Club of Columbus in Georgia - a very cool Donald Ross course. The course is very short but the greens are quite small with a lot of slope - there is nothing tricked up about them. No one has approached 59 there as far as I know. I think the best round in a tournament there is around 63.

The biggest factor in the destruction of the Old White was the soft conditions. When Tour pros can throw darts they can take it low anywhere - remember Olazabal shooting 61 at Firestone.

On TV it was mentioned that Snead shot a 59 in a tournament at the Greenbrier in 1959 but it was on one of the other courses. It was also mentioned that Snead told Faldo he had shot 59 numerous times while out playing the Old White.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »
I like the occasional 59 as a reminder to the rest of us that we really should keep our day jobs, of how much practice the pros put in (they definitely put in more time on their golf games than I do on being a teacher, and I put a lot of time in on being a teacher) and of how self-centered *depending on your perspective, a good or a bad thing) one really has to be to ascend that ladder.

Birdies are like chocolate...they make the body feel good.  Not many want to attend a pro tournament ('cept the sadists) and watch scoreboard fluctuations based on boges and duble boges...most folks like ascent, not descent (ironic in golf as scores descend as play gets better.)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 08:42:59 AM »
From what I saw last night on the Golf Channel replay of the tournament I thought it was the most exciting non-major tournament I've watched since the Tiger-Els showdown at Kapalua around 2000. The course looked great in HD, the commentators were talking about things we love on here (Alps, Redan, thumbprints, etc...) the players were all playing well, someone shot a 59 to win on the final day, and Overton had a mental breakdown on the 17th green. Great stuff to watch and I wish more of the week-to-week tournaments were like this past week.
H.P.S.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 08:56:55 AM »
From what I saw last night on the Golf Channel replay of the tournament I thought it was the most exciting non-major tournament I've watched since the Tiger-Els showdown at Kapalua around 2000. The course looked great in HD, the commentators were talking about things we love on here (Alps, Redan, thumbprints, etc...) the players were all playing well, someone shot a 59 to win on the final day, and Overton had a mental breakdown on the 17th green. Great stuff to watch and I wish more of the week-to-week tournaments were like this past week.

Agreed.  The competition, player(s) vs. player(s), is what interests me more than the final medal score.  There was human drama, even if not Tiger vs. Phil.  That having been said, if the tournament continues, I wonder if they'll try it on the Greenbrier course next year.

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 09:13:11 AM »

Agreed.  The competition, player(s) vs. player(s), is what interests me more than the final medal score.  There was human drama, even if not Tiger vs. Phil.  That having been said, if the tournament continues, I wonder if they'll try it on the Greenbrier course next year.

I just read this week's GlobalGolfPost which quotes the owner Jim Justice as saying he would like to see a Major on the Old White...perhaps not the most knowledgable guy on the world of golf, but at least he has the guts to try.
H.P.S.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 09:31:27 AM »
I just read this week's GlobalGolfPost which quotes the owner Jim Justice as saying he would like to see a Major on the Old White...perhaps not the most knowledgable guy on the world of golf, but at least he has the guts to try.

He recognizes what a longshot that is at present but has the ambition.  As he says, he has to "walk before he runs."

Remember that the Greenbrier Classic wasn't even really in the works just 14 months ago.  It won't surprise me if Mr. Justice calls in Lester George (if he hasn't already) to ask "What do we have to do here to make our course major-worthy?"  I'm not saying it will happen, but I do believe he has high hopes (and unimaginable resources).

WW

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 10:49:56 AM »

Thanks, saved me a lot of typing.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Brian Laurent

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 11:13:23 AM »
I also enjoyed the tournament this weekend.  Even my wife who could not care less about golf watched with me as Stuart poured in the birdie putt for 59 and Overton threw a hissy-fit on 17, then almost jarred a bomb to tie.  On top of the drama to win the event, we got to see an architecturally relevant course and even heard a little talk about gca...fantastic stuff!

Congrats to Jim Justice and the entire tournament staff on producing a successful 1st time tour event. 
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Greg Tallman

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »

I would guess you will hear about major plans for the Greenbrier golf facilities sometime this fall and if it happens as I suspect this board will not be amused.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »
Greg,

Per chance did you also hear this?

Let's get down on our knees and pray this does not come to pass.  Fresh off the XM radio with Brian Katrek, a fellow who was a Pace of Play Ambassador (I know, chuckles) at The Greenbrier this past week stated that Jim Justice and John Daly will go around the course to potentially determine where the holes should be lengthened.

pause

pause

pause

OK, enough.  Lester...Lester?!?!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 12:03:17 PM »

The only bummer was they didn't have a ground-level view of Overton's putt on 17 to see if it actually hit something.  He sure seemed to think so, but he also seemed to complain a couple of other times on the weekend about his putts bouncing offline, so I wanted some visual evidence.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 12:12:04 PM »
Greg,

Per chance did you also hear this?

Let's get down on our knees and pray this does not come to pass.  Fresh off the XM radio with Brian Katrek, a fellow who was a Pace of Play Ambassador (I know, chuckles) at The Greenbrier this past week stated that Jim Justice and John Daly will go around the course to potentially determine where the holes should be lengthened.

pause

pause

pause

OK, enough.  Lester...Lester?!?!

Did not hear Daly but do know the resort has been contemplating some big changes, far beyond lengthening Old White. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back