News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cristian

Please check out Mike's progress at The Haagsche. Currently he's 3 under for today climbing from 36th to 12th.

http://www.europeantour.com/seniortour/season=2010/tournamentid=2010856/leaderboard/index.html?showLeaderboard=Y

Hope he keeps doing well. Unfortunately I cannot come around and cheer him on, as I am leaving to go on holiday this afternoon.

I would be interested to hear his opinion on the Frank Pont renovations later on.

Photo thread on the Haagsche:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41086.msg869324/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:39:44 AM by Cristian Willaert »

Tom_Doak

Re: Mike Clayton at the Dutch Senior Open (Koninklijke Haagsche GCC)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 10:30:08 AM »
Cristian:

This should come as no surprise.  Mike is a very good player, and he is so opinionated about the architecture that he tends to only play well on courses he really likes.  I know he has always been a fan of the Dutch links [in general; I can't remember if he'd played Haagsche before] so I'm not surprised he is playing well.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »
Christian,

Thanks for the note.I played here in 1980 and won the Dutch Amateur - and whilst the routing is the same the course has changed a bit.The bunkers look quite different and the two really severe greens - 6 and 14 - come at the two most difficult holes.
The second shot up the hill at 14 is one of the most intimidating in golf - certainly where there is no water involved.
We are playing 6 off a forward tee and it is more manageable but I hit a six iron second that must have got within fifteen feet of the hole and came back off the green almost into the front bunker.

It is a really fun course and well worth the effort of checking out if you get anywhere near here.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:43:32 AM by Mike_Clayton »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 11:02:07 AM »
The sixth is such a great hole, albeit wildly tough. There is a spot high in the dunes, further back and right, where a tee could be made that would turn the hole into a phenomenal par five - I couldn't make my mind up whether it would be a better hole like that, or not.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Cristian

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:27:40 AM »
Adam, ...No. 6 from the back tee's used to be, I actually think it still is, a short par 5 for the members...

I really like the course because although its playing corridors are not that wide it offers tons of strategy with options to go for safety and accept a longer approach or to cut off part of the fairway or shape a shot into position A. Holes like 3, 5, 7, 9, 14, 15, 16 are all great examples of this. It 's a gameplan kind of course with wind very much influencing decision making, well for the handicapped amateur anyway, maybe less so for pro's.

Mike: Good to see you've moved up so well, but what's with the bogeys on 7? Should be 5wood wedge for you in the prevailing southwestern wind, (hole 1 downwind, 10 upwind, or is it coming from the other side?).  ;)

Good Luck tomorrow!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:33:17 AM by Cristian Willaert »

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 11:37:10 AM »
Adam,

The 6th is a brilliant hole - not unlike the 6th West at Royal Melbourne in terms of shape and the shots you need.
I like it as a par four. If it was a par five with the tee back so many of the second shots would be blind - and its a shot you want to see because it looks so great.
Unlike 6 at RM the green repels balls on all sides - front,left,right and back - which is severe for a hole that is so long and difficult.

Christian.
I have made two horrible 5s at 7. Good tee shot yesterday (my 16th hole) pulled an easy wedge shot left and 3 putted and I hit a 3 wood right than ran down under one of those bushes.I had a swing but missed the green.
Yes - 1 has been drive and 3 iron and a 5 iron.Interestingly a couple of guys are playing 1 down the 2nd fairway to open up a better angle
There are so many hole where you can get a completely different lie and shot depending on where you drive - 1,2,3,5,6,9,10,11,14,15 and 16.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 07:01:52 PM »
How cool is it that a Pro Golfer of the calibre of Mike Clayton would be happy to take some time DURING A FREAKIN' TOURNAMENT to discuss his play and the architectural attributes of the course he's playing with his internet pals???
More power to you, Mike.
Coming up to Fife next week? I'd like to buy you a beer or two...
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 02:36:29 AM »
Marty

I will be at St Andrews all week and then Carnoustie the following week.
I am assuming you will be there?

Sean Walsh

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 05:17:23 AM »
FBD,

This is me sitting here in a victorian winter green with envy... :'(

It seems the tournament is running behind.  Does Mike have 2 rounds to play Sunday?

Break a leg Mike

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 01:10:59 PM »
Only 54 holes, Sean. These old guys have it good!

Tournament over, not a bad week's work for Mike and now I am sure there might be a place or two in The Netherlands willing to show tonight's game...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 10:00:27 PM »
How cool is it that a Pro Golfer of the calibre of Mike Clayton would be happy to take some time DURING A FREAKIN' TOURNAMENT to discuss his play and the architectural attributes of the course he's playing with his internet pals???
More power to you, Mike.
Coming up to Fife next week? I'd like to buy you a beer or two...
cheers,
FBD.

Nephew, I believe this is what makes GCA.com the great community it is!  Have fun at the Open. 

I always wonder if Ran had any idea of what he wrought with this website!

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »
Final scores from the event. Mike C. had a nice top-20 finish.

http://www.europeantour.com/seniortour/season=2010/tournamentid=2010856/leaderboard/index.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back