News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Kimball

The Swallows -- NoCal guys, any thoughts?
« on: June 11, 2010, 10:13:32 AM »
OK, I just read my SI Golf+  US Open issue and there was a really interesting article about The Swallows golf tournament that takes place every year at Pebble, Cypress and Spyglass. To say it's a congregation of well-known names in the golf and business world would be an understatement.

The author didn't name Huckaby by name, but I am sure he was there (in Spirit at least).  :)

Does anyone here have some stories to add? NoCal guys, or former Pebble loopers? I don't know if the article is online, but to sum it up: it is an invitation tournament that takes place in late April for about 90 guys.

Some highlights: Obviously playing Cypress, having Pebble Beach closed down for a day to play at your leisure, playing Spyglass, listening to stories of past tournaments byt the old timers. And I was most impressed by the author's playing partner -- Chris O'Donnell is really a good golfer with some nice clubs he frequents.

Certainly someone can add something. Or, I will always settle for a Tom Paul anectdote . . . . either way it's a win-win!

--Rob

Tom Huckaby

Re: The Swallows -- NoCal guys, any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 10:16:36 AM »
Rob, I am as far from an invitation to that as Peg-Leg Peter Pirate is to the Fifa World Cup.   :'(

Who you need here is Mr. Huntley.  I have little doubt he must have played in it, or if not, knows all the stories one would want to know.

John Foley

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:40:35 AM »
Read the article and it was pretty cool!! 'm sure Bob has some stories.

Suprising how much Chris O'Donnell pops up in the GCA worls. He was pictured in the Lengendary courses book by de St. Jorre at Pine Valley - this article. Wonder if any of the Chicago guys know or have played with him?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »
I loved that article as well - especially the part about playing a closed down PB... what fun that would be.

I've not run into COD (as he is referred to in the article) but have heard he plays at CGC and that he and his brother are both excellent players. If I'm not mistaken, his brother has played in the US Am?

Mike Benham

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 11:37:34 AM »

Sworn to secrecy but I am surprised that they let Shipsuck write it ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

David Whitmer

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:50:58 PM »
There is a guy mentioned in the article from Cincinnati, Joe Mayernik, who played quite a bit at the club where I was the pro (he was not a member but was friends with many members). I always knew Joe went out to Pebble a few times a year, but never knew he ran in THOSE circles until my last year there. In August of that year some buddies and I decided to go on a trip in October to "somewhere nice." Joe was at the course one day and I asked him if it was absolutely impossible for a foursome to get a tee time at Pebble with two months' notice. He asked when we were going, and went to the men's grille. He came back to the shop 5 minutes later and said he got us rounds at Pebble, Cypress, and Spyglass.

Reading that article brought that memory back to me. What a nice fraternity to be associated with.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »
If I ever got that invite I think I would scrape up the money to play on my own and not write a tell all about a private event in a national publication.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »
From what I read, the guy was up front about being from SI and writing a story. I'm sure no one really had idea an event like that existed until the article, but now that I know it just sounds SO freaking cool. I mean -- to have Pebble all to yourselves for a day is a miracle in itself.

One thing that got me thinking was that they have a shotgun start on the courses. My mind of course thought how interesting it would be to be playing Cypress Point for the first time and have to start on #16!!  Would that be a bummer? Let's see, my first shot of the day is a 200+ carry over the Pacific. . .  Sounds like a nice problem to have, I guess!!

JohnV

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 06:41:50 PM »
Rob,

Right after I came to work at the NCGA, I was invited to play Cypress one Saturday.  When I got there and met up with my host and his two other friends we found that the first tee was packed.  They have a Marion Hollins tournament for the women there every year on the day we were to play.  It was going to be about an hour until we could play.  They were sending some other players out to places like #10 to start.

My host talked to the pro shop and came over and said, "We're going over to 15 to start."  Needless to say, I was a little disappointed to be starting on 15-17 with little warmup.  But, then he said, "We going to play 15-18 and then 1-18."  Couldn't complain about that one bit.  We gave the caddies a little extra for the four holes and had a great time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back