News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Braunsdorf

Joe, GREAT pictures.  Kyle brought me there in 2005.  What a great day.  Jim does a wonderful job.  The scenery from the course is beautiful also.

Has 4 green been altered?  I seem to remember a tongue in the front and what appeared to be a fairly benign slope was actually very severe. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mark McKeever

Doug,

Hole 4 was one of the greens that has been modified.  It has multiple small levels/undulations that make for some pretty cool pin positions.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Phil McDade

Joe (and Mike C.):

I'm not sure I've seen a course here on GCA that has greens as small as this one with as wild contouring. I've seen plenty of courses with small greens, and plenty of wildly contoured greens, but the combination of the two seems really in play at Schuykill. I might have to get back to PA to see this!

Mark McKeever

That can be arranged Phil!

Mark

Doug Braunsdorf

Doug,

Hole 4 was one of the greens that has been modified.  It has multiple small levels/undulations that make for some pretty cool pin positions.

Mark

Mark,  Thank you.  I recall well Jim and Kyle telling me about the speed of the green and shaking in disbelief at Jim's putt for birdie from a few feet above the hole. Which he made. 

It's such a good course.  Fun.  And the people are nicer than anything.
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mark McKeever

Doug,

Mark

Mark,  Thank you.  I recall well Jim and Kyle telling me about the speed of the green and shaking in disbelief at Jim's putt for birdie from a few feet above the hole. Which he made. 

It's such a good course.  Fun.  And the people are nicer than anything.

Good thing he made it!   From what Ive been told about the old green, if you were above the hole and missed, bring a wedge..

Mark

Sean_A

The greens look very fine and exacting - a needed antidote for what look to be many flat lies.  I also like how many of the greens are grade level in front and padded out in the rear (a sign of hills I expect).  Yes, more trees need to go, but the course looks very playable as is.  Thanks Joe! 

Does anybody know what of Park is left?

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Doug Braunsdorf

The greens look very fine and exacting - a needed antidote for what look to be many flat lies.  I also like how many of the greens are grade level in front and padded out in the rear (a sign of hills I expect).  Yes, more trees need to go, but the course looks very playable as is.  Thanks Joe! 

Does anybody know what of Park is left?

Ciao

Sean-  You'd love this place.  The golf course itself is very similar in feel to Mid Pines, where we played 5 years ago (already!).  Same type of Ross feeling, as opposed to Pine Needles.  The terrain is not similar-it is hillier, but plays well. 

I think Kyle had a thread from a few years ago with a listing of the original Park work vs. the Ross work.  I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall it was Frank James or Meehan who built it for Park.  Check around, I am sure the original thread is still up. Probably from the 2005-2006 period. 

What should be noted is that the transitions on the holes are not abrupt-e.g. the player is rarely going straight up and down a hill.  This is evident in Joe's excellent pictures.  "Transition" holes, to move the golfer from the upland part of the property to the lower part, are found on holes 3 and 11.  The third is a sweeping par 5.  The player then works gradually down the hill, eventually arriving at the bottom of the hill on 8 green.  Although 9 is pretty much straight uphill, it is not done in an abrupt manner.  11, a drop-shot par 3, accomplishes this on the second nine.

What I also like is a feature within the par threes-they're all different yardages and shot requirements, in contrast to, say, the par threes at Bethpage Red which are all relatively similar in distance, meaning, they are within the 170-190 range.  Schuylkill's par threes are (in rough estimates of yardage) #4 at 190 on relatively level terrain, #6 at roughly 220 slightly downhill, #11 at roughly 185 sharply downhill, and #16 at roughly 140 uphill. 

Kyle Harris

Park Holes:

1, 2 tee to 5 green, 6, 7, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Ross added his nine to the periphery of the property on both sides and moved the 15th green closer making the hole a long par 4.

Mark McKeever

Im really hoping they put the big gaping bunker back in the middle of the fairway on the current day 15th hole as depicted in Ross's old drawings for the course.

Mark

Joe Bausch

The entire photo album for Schuylkill CC is now available at GolfArchitecturePictures.com (thanks Frank!):

http://www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/USA/Pennsylvania/Schuylkill/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Rory Connaughton

Mark was kind enough to host me yesterday at Schuylkill.  The green sites are every bit as good as advertised and the course fits the topography beautifully.  Conditioning was excellent. The whole club has a great vibe.  If you get a chance, make sure you play Schuylkill you will not be disappointed.

Mark McKeever

Glad to have you and Webb over the weekend.  I think we all had a great time and I look forward to playing again!

Mark

Dan Herrmann

Re: Schuylkill CC (1921 Ross w/ some W Park, Jr): a photo tour (all holes up!)
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »
Folks - Rory is 100% correct - SCC is not to be missed.

Mark was kind enough to have Laura and me out there today.   SCC is one of the most fun courses I've ever played.  The green complexes are fantastic, and I kind of like the trees.   (My club essentially has zero trees, and it was a kick to try to play fades and draws as desired (some worked, some didn't!).

Let me put it another way, I felt like SCC was like a little brother of The 'Mink, and that's a pretty darn high compliment in my book.

Honestly, I don't know why this course doesn't get more GCA attention.  it's got a ton of wonderful architecture and it's in really great shape.  It's a very walkable course with elevation changes that won't wear you out.

From an artistic standpoint, there are some great mountain views that make you realize you're not in the coastal plain!

Good membership too - they were playing a member-member ahead of us, and we finished in just over 4 hours.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 07:56:34 AM »
Dan,

I had a great time hosting you and Laura out there over the weekend..  The course is in great condition right now and Im glad you made the trip up.  See you Friday!

If anyone is interested in playing, give me a shout!

Mark

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
I encourage anyone within driving distance to take Mark up on his gracious offer.  Schuylkill is worth a visit for the green complexes alone.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 09:39:45 AM »
Rory - Amen!
I felt like a fool on a few puts out there due to the wonderful green surfaces.  Actually, I hadn't misread puts so badly since I was learning the game.

Lots of confused laughs out there.

Folks, if you're in PA, NJ, MD, VA, or NY - you owe it to yourself to get to SCC.  The leaves are just starting to change and I'd imagine SCC would provide great golf and tremendous beauty in the next 5-6 weeks.

(PS - Pottsville, PA is the original home of the Washington Redskins)

Mark McKeever

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 10:53:42 AM »
On Saturday, we had the pleasure of playing with an 83 year old member who joined SCC in 1963.  It was very enjoyable and he chuckled a few times when Dan misread some of the putts.  All in good fun.  It was a great time.

Mark

Mark McKeever

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »
KBM,

I see the BMHS kids out there all the time.  Im not sure of the connection with the club, other then that the HS is across the street and can be seen from the 11th tee.  They are all very respectful of the golf course and are class act golfers.  They always strike up conversations with me about the Scotty Cameron Putters I am always using when I'm out there playing.  Its good to hear that they do well in their matches too!!

Mark

Mark McKeever

SCC is now running an October special where members can bring 3 guests for 120 dollars.  If anyone wants to play some beautiful fall golf, let me know!

Mark

Steve_ Shaffer

I played SCC with Mark today.It was a crisp fall day and the foliage was beautiful. Not too many courses can claim a Ross/Park heritage. I concur with all the praise . This course should not be missed. Prichard's work is top notch,the greens are a blast, the bunkers are deep and the variety of holes is there. There is more work to be done but the present state of the course presents an excellent study.

Thanks again Mark.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mark McKeever

Glad to have you out anytime Steve!

Mark

Mark McKeever

Bump.

Mark

Joe Bausch

Full Schuylkill CC photo album here:

http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Schuylkill/index.html

This place is a blast and should not be missed, IMO.

Joe Bausch

The pics in this thread are now being hosted on another site and hence are showing again.  Head to the first page to (re)check them out!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back