News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Burke

Re: Golf Scholarship
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 02:05:08 AM »
Did a quick look at a local jc in southern california
Not great news I'm afraid :(            http://www.ivc.edu/iso/Documents/estimateofcosts.pdf
Sample cost for non resident.
Outside of California, there are schools that offer financial aid (Midland College in Midalnd Texas for example)
But there isn't a ton out there with current budgets.
Advice from some earlier on the thread to look at small schools and Division II, DII, even NAIA schools, may
open more doors, especially for an international student.
You could change your name to a Hispanic name, and jsut claim you live in california, probably be able to attend for next to nothing! ::)
Sorry, just ignore that OT rant ;)

Mike_Cocking

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 03:30:22 AM »
Hi Michael,

One question - why do you want to go the the US so badly?  I played to a relatively high amateur level here in Australia before briefly turning pro and experienced some excellent programs right here in Australia - through state junior golf, state golf, National programs and the VIS. 

Many firends of mine went to the States through the college program but from my experience few offered comparable programs and unless you were one of the star players you ddn't necessarily get to travel to all the major events. 

Given your age I wouldn't have thought you need to rush into anything.  I would be aiming to make your state junior side first off and if you play well enough, perhaps the National junior team awaits.  As soon as you start making these sides and sqauds you will find doors quickly open up - national events, international events etc.

Even if you stayed here after school, if you can make the senior state team the same thing applies - national squds, national teams, overseas represntation, VIS / NSWIS / AIS, funded trips etc etc.

Whilst America sounds fantastic there are some benfits in being in a 'small pond' so to speak. 

Best of luck with it all,

Mike Cocking.

BTW - Irrespective of which option you choose finishing year 12 is about the best advice anyone could give you - especially if you are a little unsure what you want to do.  I did an engineering degree at University before getting into the VIS and then finally getting into golf course design and I was constantly amazed at how many 15, 16, 17, 18 year olds I came across were prepared to give up school because they wanted to be a golf pro.  In fact every year at the Australian amateur I bet most of the field (180 or so) would have answered with a big YES to that question, yet if lucky 2 of them would make a great career of it, perhaps just 1.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 05:47:57 AM »
Mike,

I would love to get into the state teams and all of that crap, and I am of the caliber to represent them already, but for reasons I am not aware of, they will not let me play for them. And I've never received one ounce of help from them either, so that's a 'no go' zone.

Well Mike, the reasons why I'm asking these questions now, is because it's highly likely that I will be heading over to the US next year on student exchange for 5 or 10 months, and I thought it might be a good idea to get a shortlist of universities to check out while I'm over there.

Re: school. I DESPERATELY want to become a GCA, and would love to know what courses would be best to complete in order to get into that field. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to become employed in the field? I've heard studying Landscape Architecture is a good starting point.

Pup

Jason Topp

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 07:19:45 AM »
Micheal:

You may want to email Brad James or John Means for advice.  They built a powerful golf team at the University of Minnesota recruiting primarily Australian players.  I understand that strategy does not work as well now for the program due to either some NCAA or other rule changes.  Here is contact information:

http://bradjamesgolf.com/

http://www.johnmeansgolf.com/collegiate.php

Harris Nepon

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 08:56:53 AM »
Micheal,

I know very little about school as I was horrible student. Got my degree and moved on.

I know a lot of people from Ontario have gone to school in Australia because it was easier to get in or financially easier, not sure exactly. It may be worth looking into attending school here. I believe we have some good programs for GCA as well. Here is one in Toronto - http://senecac.ca/fulltime/GCTC.html

However, we don’t have sport scholarships in Ontario, so you would need to get an academic one to attend school here.

Good luck.

David_Tepper

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 09:14:45 AM »
Michael Taylor -

St. Mary's College in Moraga, California (near San Francisco) is a small college (less than 3,000 undergrad students). I know they have recruited a good number of Australians to play on the basketball team there.

Scott Hardy is the coach of the men's golf team. I know he has recruited foreign players in the past. You could send him a letter and introduce yourself.

I think you will find the level of golf played in American colleges to be of a very high standard.

DT 

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »
Micheal:

You may want to email Brad James or John Means for advice.  They built a powerful golf team at the University of Minnesota recruiting primarily Australian players.  I understand that strategy does not work as well now for the program due to either some NCAA or other rule changes.  Here is contact information:

http://bradjamesgolf.com/

http://www.johnmeansgolf.com/collegiate.php

Micheal allow me to make a third post to reinforce the recommendation of Jeff and Jason's advice to contact Brad James. I've caddied for him on a number of occasions in MN and he is a very good guy and I think the type that would take the time to at least help point you in the right direction for your future. He could also probably give you a very good evaluation of your game and if you were good enough to earn a scholarship in the States. If you were able to go meet with him at some point now that he is back in Australia at AIS I would encourage you to do so.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Michael Taylor

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 08:09:48 AM »
Another option has come to my attention.

Instead of going straight to College, I could do a Year of High School golf for a team, getting my name known by some coaches.

Is that a good idea at all? I'm currently in Year 11, so if it is a good idea, would it be best to do my final year of schooling in the US, or to do it after my Australian schooling has finished instead?

Pup

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 09:15:30 AM »
Another option has come to my attention.

Instead of going straight to College, I could do a Year of High School golf for a team, getting my name known by some coaches.

Is that a good idea at all? I'm currently in Year 11, so if it is a good idea, would it be best to do my final year of schooling in the US, or to do it after my Australian schooling has finished instead?

Pup

For Division I probably not, most Division I recruits in golf are followed through http://www.ajga.org/. I am sure there are a few high school programs in Florida and California that have a number of good players with DI talent, but they are probably the exception rather than the rule. See: http://www.ajga.org/Membership/collegerecruitingmailbag.asp

For Division III, you can consider a post grad year at a prep school, as I don't think you will just be able to walk in September 2010 unless you have a connection. A couple of these school have golf courses (Hotchkiss, Lawrencville, ......). Prep schools are more expensive than many colleges.

http://www.admissionsquest.com/cfm_Public/pg_SchlInfo0.cfm/mode/results/SearchStateID/0/ParamList/244|616,243|611

Rob Rigg

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 12:41:39 AM »
Pup,

Depending on your long term goals - a D3 school might be a good option - but the "top" academic schools tend to be in the Northeast which has a short season. I would imagine there are some great "golf" school in the south and Florida - I knew some guys who went down there.

I met a couple guys in the PGM program at New Mexico State who were +1s and didn't have a hope of making their golf team.

Don't mean to discourage, but there is A LOT of competition over here for spots at D1 schools. If you make a name for yourself at home then you will be recruited (especially if you show interest in playing in the US).

Good luck!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 06:01:31 AM »
Michael I'm sure if you are getting high finishes in local events especially away from NSW and your on and off course manner is appropriate you will come to notice of the state golf association. Representative sport is just that and selectors quite rightly need to look at the full package.

Having been at school with a Walker Cup/Ryder Cup player and another European Tour player I can honestly say +2 at 16 to 17 and winning events is the standard required to have a chance as a pro player and for the 2 I know who were successful I know 20 who were that good at 16 and fizzled out. It's a tough world!
Cave Nil Vino

Jud_T

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 07:27:23 AM »
For reference a business acquaintance's son just went through recruiting two years ago.  He was a +2 and was ranked 426th in the nation in his graduating class.  The only full scholarships he was offered were from a couple of lesser cold-weather programs...I believe he was offered some partial scholarships to 2nd tier warm-weather schools...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:38:01 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 08:47:21 AM »
Michael

Good luck with your goals and aspirations. Please take the following as well meaning advice.

1. Focus on year 11 and 12. A lot can change in 18 months to 2 years and you do not want to eliminate other options at this stage of your life.

2. Play as many vardon trophy events as you can, 6 rounds so far this year is not many. The NSWGA takes a lot of notice of results at these events and if you perform you will be selected. At 15 you have 3 years of juniors ahead of you and you have no reason not to be able to make under 16 and under 18 squads over the coming years. State squad and team on your resume for college golf makes a big difference.

3. Michael Cocking talks about a big fish in a small pond - the NSWIS, the VIS, the AIS all have produced many world class players. The facilities they offer are world class as is the coaching. The coaches involved at these programs are world class and unless you are going to get to a top line college you will not get better coaches. The coaches involved with the Jack Newton foundation can be very valuable assets for you to use and to get advice from. Speak with the guys at NSW to get some contact info.

4. Since moving to NSWGC your good golf has been excellent and your bad scores shocking, this is all part of growing up and developing as a player. If i was a state selector at this stage you would not have come on the radar for junior squads, keep working on what you are working on in your golf and you will get on the radar. They will select golfers who perform, so play so well they cannot leave you out.

Your passion for GCA is obvious, your love of the game oozes out in your posts. work hard at school and at golf and everything you want will open up in front of you.

Good Luck ;)

Tim Nugent

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 03:14:38 PM »
Pup, I hope you realize just how many kids in the US would love to get an athletic scholorship.  As has been mentioned, the level of play is very high and being a lesser Men's sport (most of the scholorship $$$ goes to 'Gate' sports like Football and Basketball) golf may only get a couple scholorships/yr and these are usually divided up into partials (too bad you're not female). Plus, many prospects have been on scouts radars for years.  Scouting starts at a very early age.  I have a 15 yr old girl who is already getting mail from D-1 Volleyball coaches.
Not all kids on the golf team are on scholarship.

But, if you are bent on this track, here's some things to look at. 

1st go to the NCAA website and lookup the rules concerning recruiting.  Since you are in yr 11 (our Junior Yr)there is a bit more freedom concerning correspondance. 
2nd go to BeRecruited.com and make a free profile page for yourself.  Many scouts - especially at schools without a huge recruiting budget use this to find prospects.  This will also link you to schools and programs, listing pertanent info and coaches.
3rd go to school's website under athletics - go to Men's Golf and look up the rooster to see who is currently playing on the squad - usually they have some Bio info listed.  Also go to the Coaches page and get the Bio on the coach and use this info when you write them.
4th Put together a video of you playing, maybe high-speed photos of your swing etc. so you can send this along with your intro letters.  Let the coaches see what you are all about.
5th High academics is very valuable.  College athletics is grueling and coaches don't want to waste S-money on someone who won't be able to cut it.  Also, D-3 don't offer athletic Scholarships but can offer Academic Scholarships.  Private schools mix the 2 together.

Actually, you are already late to the table and it doesn't appear that, while good, your grades or play is top shelf.  You don't have to rush right in, you can come over when youo are 19 or 20 and still be a Freshman.  You may wish to get your playing Resume together with more local tournements.   If your mum isn't willing fund your entry fees, get a job - preferrably at a golf course (so you can practice in your off time).

While you dream of being a GCA, that field doesn't look very promising.  However, a good parallel track would be Civil and Environmental Engineering.  It woud give you the tools and licensing along with a solid fallback degree.
Coasting is a downhill process

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 03:23:33 PM »
Pup-

One more thought, I will still encourage you to contact Brad James, is to take a look at Augusta State. I caddied for one of their players in a tournament this Spring and they are/were the 2nd ranked NCAA team this season. Their #2 player was from Australia IIRC. This type of school, smaller but D1 in golf, probably has more scholarships for golfers since they don't have the big D1 basketball and football teams if I'm not mistaken.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 06:27:50 PM »
Patrick,

I've actually played before with Mitch Krovolich (I just typed it how it's pronounced  ;D), and he's a very good golfer. He has reccommended Augusta State, so that is definately one to check out.

Tim,

Thanks very much for that, very very good advice!

I guess it's time to start try and 'getting myself known'. :)

Pup

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »
Patrick,

I've actually played before with Mitch Krovolich (I just typed it how it's pronounced  ;D), and he's a very good golfer. He has reccommended Augusta State, so that is definately one to check out.

Mitch it was, yea I was going to look up his last name tonight but you beat me to it. I caddied for a teammate of his and met Mitch at the tournament. Seemed like they had a great team with a good program. A round once a year at Augusta wouldn't be bad either.  ;)

Michael Taylor

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 01:41:46 AM »
I'd love to play at Augusta, but that might be more of a hinderence than anything, because you'd be getting so excited on playing the course, rather than focusing on your studies!  ;D

And I must say that the size of the universities in the USA are astoundingly large! Oklohoma state has like 30 thousand students...that's the size of the suburb I live in.  :D

Pup

Chris Kane

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 04:59:38 AM »
And I must say that the size of the universities in the USA are astoundingly large! Oklohoma state has like 30 thousand students...that's the size of the suburb I live in.  :D

The leading universities in Australia, with the exception of ANU, have more than 30,000 students - it will be a big change from school, wherever you go! 

Michael Taylor

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2010, 09:07:21 AM »
That is 20 times the size of my own school, which is itself massive! I can't comprehend the size of the universities over there.

Anyway, is there a distinct advantage over going to a southern state Uni?i than a northern Uni? Or does it not matter that much?

Jud_T

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2010, 10:39:13 AM »
It depends on your focus.  For golf, only the southern schools can offer year-round play.  Some of the northern schools do have extensive indoor facilities however.  Many of the best academic programs are in the north, although the south has some excellent schools as well.  Really depends on your focus.  Unless you are a world-beater at golf, I would seriously consider using your golfing talent to help get you into one of the better academic institutions that you might otherwise not be able to attend...This way you have a fallback position besides working in a pro shop somewhere or grinding it out on one of the developmental tours.  If you are creative and put the effort in there are a variety of scholarships available as well as grants, loans etc....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:41:29 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Trent Dixon

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2010, 11:25:43 PM »
Hi Michael,

A few things that may be of assistance:

http://www.cpoa.com this website will give you some info/contacts which may be helpful.

I'm not sure if things have changed, but I was in a similar position to you when I was finishing school, although I was involved in state squads. When I went through, even if you were offered a full scholarship, you had to be able to prove that you'd be able to cover the costs to complete your degree should you lose it for any reason.

Lastly, you mentioned that you can't make state squads, essentially because of reasons beyond your control, I'd suggest that having played so few Vardon events would be the major contributing factor to why you've not been selected. Having a good scoring average in those state averages events has always been one of the main selection criteria for state team selections. You'd pretty much need to win one of the big events to even be considered if you're not playing Vardon events on a weekly basis. Further to this point, playing club comps is a nice social outing, but the experience you gain from playing in events against the best players in the state week in, week out, is what will help you reach your goals.

I hope you get to where you want to be, not being able to go to college in the states, due to finances, despite being offered a full scholarship will always be one of the great regrets of my life.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2010, 10:18:46 AM »
How does this sound as an idea..

Complete my High School education in a HS in the US, giving the coaches of the different colleges the chance to see my ability, rather than completing my education over here?

I'm looking at one school in particular, down in Texas. I'd like to check it and (maybe) some others out. (Can High Schools pay for my travel costs to get there, or does this not count as an 'official visit'?)

Pup

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
How does this sound as an idea..

Complete my High School education in a HS in the US, giving the coaches of the different colleges the chance to see my ability, rather than completing my education over here?

I'm looking at one school in particular, down in Texas. I'd like to check it and (maybe) some others out. (Can High Schools pay for my travel costs to get there, or does this not count as an 'official visit'?)

Pup

I don't believe high schools can pay for your visit.

As mentioned before more important in the U.S. than high school golf is competing in the AJGA tournaments and Scratch Amateur tournaments.

Scott Warren

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2010, 12:04:37 PM »
The brutal but obvious question, Michael, is not could they, but would they?

Is there a consecutive run of 3-4 tournaments you could go over and compete in just to see where you're at in comparison with the competition for school/college spots?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back