News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Hines

Two Awarii Dunes Photos - Jim Engh
« on: May 30, 2010, 08:12:08 PM »
I was in central Nebraska this morning and took a couple of snap shots of Jim Engh’s Awarri Dunes.  I want to apologize for the lack of quantity and quality of photos whereas it was hard to take shots from the driver’s window while hearing the comments of, “Daddy, what are we doing out here?” or “Why are we looking at another golf course?”

The first is of the “new” back nine that appears to be staked out and the second is of the “original” front 9 that was originally known as “The Links at Craneview.  The back 9 was a pasture that appears to be the remnants of the Platte River from only god knows how long ago.  The original front has been redone to include more bunkering and improve the green to tee walks from the original 9.  What these photos do not show is the dunes are more pronounced on the front 9 than the back and the back nine seems to be more channelled and flow between the dunes.

It would be wonderful if Jim could chime in again, because all of what I hear is hearsay.  And speaking of hearsay, It sounds like they have been doing a lot more work than expected on the irrigation system and will have the range and teaching academy open this summer.  The rumor around town is that the University of Nebraska-Kearney golf team will be playing their home events at Awarii Dunes.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Two Awarii Dunes Photos - Jim Engh
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:16:40 PM »
Where are the dunes?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jason Hines

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 08:32:18 PM »
Besides in the name?  They are very gentle in the first photo and off to the right of the second photo.  Sorry for the lousy photo quality.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 10:46:08 PM »
... The rumor around town is that the University of Nebraska-Kearney golf team will be playing their home events at Awarii Dunes.

Good old Keaney State. I remember them. They're the ones with the homer refs.
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tony Weiler

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 11:30:08 PM »
What is the meaning of "Arwarii"??

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 07:45:06 AM »
" Awarii derives its name from the Pawnee Indian word for windblown, and that is a very accurate description of this part of the world. "

http://www.bauervossconsulting.com/index.php/bvc/news/bauer_voss_welcomes_awarri_dunes
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 09:50:19 AM »
Jason, No need to apologize for the photos. Very cool to see low profile work there.

Having just survived the Journey at Pechanga, (Art Hills) where on the 18th hole I was greeted with the ooze and ahhs from my playing partners, in regards to the hole's beauty, Only to look down at recklessly disturbed terrain, seeing Mr. Engh follow through on his statements made on this web site previously about this project and the sensitivity to the land, is refreshing.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 12:40:24 PM »
Awarri Dunes is having an event on June 29 with a view towards touring the course and selling memberships before an anticipated price rise in July.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »
Email from the club:

Course Tour with Jim Engh Friday June 11

Due to an overwhelming response for tours of the course prior to our June 29th Membership Sign Up Event, Jim Engh, the Course Architect, will be on hand to assist us on Friday, June 11 at 5:00pm at the on site Sales Center. This event will enable us to take a large group out at once and for potential members to get a good feel for the golf course layout and to ask Jim any questions that they have regarding the course.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 02:53:34 PM »
Kearney has a population of 30,000 as compared to 2000 in Valentine - should make it easier to operate a golf course.

Jason Hines

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 07:02:23 PM »
and 7,000 college students hungry for work.  It sounds like Awarii is beginning to pull members from the Kearney Country Club.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »
Here's a few sneak peek photos from the night of their Membership drive, and some schematics/artist renderings

I think this is the ninth hole. (Don't hold me to it)

The back tees are farther right of the above line. Giving the player an option to challenge the bunker complex. The hole runs north and with the dominate south wind, should tempt most.

Here's an example of some of the natural dune rolls.

Random shots

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Hines

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 09:26:56 PM »
Adam,

I like fairway contours in some of the photos, looking forward to see how they play.  Adam, did the give any guestimates on when the new front 9 will be available for play?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 09:29:40 PM »
Soon I will be sick of the word "dunes" in the name of a golf course, almost as much as I am of "national."  Ergo, can "National Dunes" be far off?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »
Jason, They expect to be hitting balls on the front in the fall. I heard today that two holes of the back are done being built. I don't know when grow in will start on the back.

RM, If they are real dunes, I will never get tired of seeing all of their many different characteristics. Plus, It implies SAND based, golf.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:27:50 PM by Adam Clayman »

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 10:35:06 PM »
Adam -- How much did Jim change the old Bates routing from before? Is there anything left? From what I have seen of the old place, he could have saved a few item but not much: long tee-green walks were fairly common at the old Craneview golf course, I think.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 11:11:59 PM »
Tony, I can't compare, never having seen Crainview. But, most of the hole corridors were either reversed, or improved, from what I've heard. The green to tee walks should no longer be an issue.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 04:31:57 PM »

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 04:37:57 PM »
SI writer blogs about Awarii Dunes.

http://jgarrity2.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/engh-reaches-top-rung-with-awarii-dunes/

If his "arbitrary" definition of a designer with a green jacket includes Tiger and Ray Floyd, then he needs Mickelson and Couples on that list, as well.

Jason Hines

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »
“the newly-planted fairways and greens are a deep green framed by fescue-covered dunes, golden fields of wheat and elegant cottonwood trees.”

Wheat fields?  In Central Nebraska?  Did this guy even go there?
Adam, have you been by the property recently?  I am not going to make it back for the holidays this year to see for myself.  I see that Awarii is going to house and host the UNK team and it appears they are going to have heated bays and an indoor putting green for the winter.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
Jason, No. I have not been on prop recently. Kills me too since I was in Kearney yesterday.

'We are allowing preview play this Saturday and Sunday October 23rd and 24th along with Sunday October 31st.  Please call (308) 743-1111 to reserve a time.  Any memberships bought now until October 31st, 2010 will include a FREE Winter Golf Academy Membership.  Call or email with any questions.'
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:34:19 PM by Adam Clayman »

Derrick Vest

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 01:41:34 AM »
I was on the property maybe 3-4 weeks ago. What were you wondering?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 02:13:10 AM »
I stopped in to have a look basically from the road so to speak.  I did meet Chad the D.O.G., and apparently he is the golf coach at UNK.  there is a neat learning center off the back 9 and he wants to run something of a golf academy, I think.  I just walked out on two holes and looked at turf.  The course has 'the look' of being pretty good.  But I really didn't see enough to make any intelligent comment.  I quess the big question will be the turf - bentgrass wall to wall.  The terrain has adequate elevation changes and rolls, and I am sure Mr. Engh did find good golf holes out there.  The handy nearness to the I-80 gives it plenty of positive market positioning, I would have to believe.  We'll just have to wait and see after folks play it.  I suspect it will be a welcome prairie NE trail addition.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Hines

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 07:41:12 AM »
Hi Derrick. RJ,

I was wondering how the turf was filling in, I am curious as to why the choice of bent. Also, the impressions of the back nine compared to the front, the topography on the back seemed more gentle than the front.

I am also curious as to their business model of being 100% private and how that was going.

Dick, are they still on track to open this spring?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back