News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_McMillan

Doak and Devries to talk at St. Andrews
« on: May 23, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
No ... not THAT St. Andrews.

St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in Beulah, Michigan will host Tom and Mike on Wednesday night, June 30 at 5:30 pm.
I asked Tom and Mike to do a "Siskel and Ebert" type talk on their perspectives on golf course architecture, and on what makes Northern Michigan a special place for golf.  The early speculation is that Crystal Downs will receive "two thubs up."

If you're in the Traverse City area on June 30, come and participate.

JC Jones

Re: Doak and Devries to talk at St. Andrews
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:00:50 PM »
I can certainly make the drive down from Charlevoix for this.  I'm glad I get 5 weeks to work on my questions.....;)

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »
First question to Mike:

do you feel guilty taking strokes when playing against a 20 handicap on a course you designed?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:30:15 PM »
 8) 

Have they been back to Wilderness Valley - Black Forest to check out how it has held up?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:38:35 PM »
For both:

If they could modify 1 hole at Crystal Downs, what would it be?

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
First question for Tom:

are your best days behind you? ;) :)

George Freeman

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 10:30:42 PM »
Sounds very cool.  I wish I could make it!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Pflum

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 10:34:38 PM »
Hmmm, I wonder if we could arrange to meet at The Cherry Hut for breakfast.........  :-)
--
jvdp

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 10:27:01 PM »
At a little over a week away, I'm bumping this.

John,

Is there a max on the numbered of prepared questions audience members are allowed to bring? ;)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 04:51:38 PM »
What is the CHerry Hut?

I will be in Glen ARbor, so I ma show up as well...

Anyone ever play Pinecroft?
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

John_McMillan

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »
Just a reminder.
Doak/Devries talk this Wednesday at St. Andrews (Presbyterian Church in Benzie, MI).

Directions to the church are available at: 

www.benziestandrews.com

Look forward to seeing those who can make it at 5:30 pm.

Limit to prepared questions is 10 per individual.

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 10:39:17 AM »
Just a reminder.
Doak/Devries talk this Wednesday at St. Andrews (Presbyterian Church in Benzie, MI).

Directions to the church are available at: 

www.benziestandrews.com

Look forward to seeing those who can make it at 5:30 pm.

Limit to prepared questions is 10 per individual.

So what you are saying is that there is no limit to unprepared questions. :)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 08:09:06 PM »
Double Barky Sparky, sorry for not saying goodbye, however, you were deeply engrossed in conversation....

The land behind the church would make an EXCELLENT par 4 IMO. Thanks for the Q&A Mike and Tom, much appreciated.

Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »
And, I found the Cherry Bowl Drive In! My kids even made me play the putt putt there. Notice the Ross like mounding in between the holes....

George Freeman

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 11:36:30 PM »
Over the years I have expressed my passion for golf course architecture to my parents a hundred times over.  Tonight my Mom drove over an hour to Beulah MI to listen to two men, who she has no doubt heard me bring up many times, discuss GCA to a uniformed crowd at a small church.  I'm not even sure how she found out about the event; I was shocked when I heard she attended.  She thoroughly enjoyed the discussion, enough to have jotted down some notes that she would later share with me over the phone on her way home.  In addition, she got to meet Tom, Mike, and Double Barky Sparky (aka JC Jones), enabling her to finally put a few faces to names and stories.  She now wholeheartedly wants me to buy a piece of land that will one day house a great golf course...

This is one proud son!

Sounds like it was a great conversation; wish I could have attended.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 10:15:42 AM »
Over the years I have expressed my passion for golf course architecture to my parents a hundred times over.  Tonight my Mom drove over an hour to Beulah MI to listen to two men, who she has no doubt heard me bring up many times, discuss GCA to a uniformed crowd at a small church.  I'm not even sure how she found out about the event; I was shocked when I heard she attended.  She thoroughly enjoyed the discussion, enough to have jotted down some notes that she would later share with me over the phone on her way home.  In addition, she got to meet Tom, Mike, and Double Barky Sparky (aka JC Jones), enabling her to finally put a few faces to names and stories.  She now wholeheartedly wants me to buy a piece of land that will one day house a great golf course...

This is one proud son!

Sounds like it was a great conversation; wish I could have attended.

Just because I was there does not mean the crowd was uninformed.

George, your mother is very nice and seemed to be really into hearing what Tom and Mike had to say.  You should be proud.

Thanks to Tom and Mike for their patience, it was good to hear their thoughts on various matters.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »
Six weeks notice and no video link? I'm disappointed.  :P

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
Six weeks notice and no video link? I'm disappointed.  :P

I would have taken video but the subjects have faces made for posting on gca.com.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 10:25:40 AM »
Come on Boys... You can do better than that for all us living vicariously?

Was it standard geek 101 or what? 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 10:45:16 AM »
Adam:

It was about a 45-minute question Q & A -- or about 1000 hours less than most of you here have gotten over the past few years.  But it WAS a nicer setting.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Tom,

Agreed, the setting was nice and will be that much nicer once you get to work on that downhill, par 4 behind the church!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 07:09:10 PM »
Anthony Gray has dibs on that par 4, Rich......with JC as the historian on record.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Steve Lang

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 07:23:08 PM »
 8) so TD and MD.. have you been back lately to The Black Forest to check out how it has held up?

JC-DBS & Joe Hancock.. you're both on notice..  leaving TX on 17th, be up in the woods at Blue Lake 19th.. ms sheila & i are looking for a game.. neutral or non-neutral venue
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

JC Jones

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 10:31:25 PM »
8) so TD and MD.. have you been back lately to The Black Forest to check out how it has held up?

JC-DBS & Joe Hancock.. you're both on notice..  leaving TX on 17th, be up in the woods at Blue Lake 19th.. ms sheila & i are looking for a game.. neutral or non-neutral venue

All the golf you can play after 3:30 on Tuesday the 20th at Belvedere for $35  :)

JC Jones

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 10:32:38 PM »
Come on Boys... You can do better than that for all us living vicariously?

Was it standard geek 101 or what? 

It was geared much more towards the lay person.  The few of us geeks that were there sat back and deferred to those who don't get the generous time that we do.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back