News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

36 holer shoes - Classics too tough
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:03:22 AM »
With forthcoming trip to the US and many rounds of 36 + planned, I don't think my feet will be up to my Footjoy classics.

Any recommendations - have my eye on a pair of Nike Air Rates and would also love a pair of "Freddy" ECCO golf Street premiers - but it appears they are sold out worldwide? I like to alternate shoes each day to look after them.

Golf shoe etiquette in the States? what is considered the norm in US for golf shoe attire? leather lace ups, runners, am assuming the more private clubs are much stricter with their policies? Are shoes like the Nike Air Rates acceptable attire at the private clubs?

thanks
@theflatsticker

Ulrich Mayring

Re: 36 holer shoes - Classics too tough
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:05:05 AM »
The best 36 hole shoes are those that you change after 18 :)

That being said, I expected the Freddy Couples shoes to fit me perfectly, because I generally have "Ecco feet" and use their other shoes quite fervently. However, those didn't fit me at all, they were very uncomfortable.

Generally I don't wear golf shoes, because they are too uncomfortable, seldom water-proof and I hate cleaning and changing the spikes all the time. So I go for regular outdoor/hiking/climbing shoes and look for the more refined designs, so no one will notice that they aren't golf shoes. The Ecco outdoor line usually has one or two somewhat "elegant" models. I have also had success with Geox, but they are usually not water-proof, you do need Goretex or Sympatex.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Rob Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 09:42:31 AM »
Brett-  I'm a big fan of ECCO's.  As a US size 14, options are often limited.  My ECCOS and the only shoes that have held up for 36+ a day.  I always bring the running shoes just in case, when you're walking for 7-8 hours a day, the last thing you want to worry about is your feet.  Just go with something comfortable.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:46:30 AM »
Foot Joy Contour have always served me well, right out of the box.

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »
The Adidas 360 Tour is the best golf shoe I've ever worn. I used to be a FJ only kind of guy, but the 360 is awesome.
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:37:50 AM »
I did several successful 36 hole days in Kent last summer wearing Nike Summer Airs.  I don't think they are a problem anywhere.  Comfort first.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »
Brett,

I suffered last year between a pair of Nike's and Footjoys.

I purchased a pair of Ecco Classic Hydromax in February and these shoes are a dramatic improvement over any other shoe I've tried.

I read about them and then went to a golfing store and spent at least 2 hours trying on multiple pairs...and could not be happier!

Best of luck!

Mike

jonathan_becker

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 11:44:43 AM »
I have had foot problems my entire life and some days it's a struggle just to walk 18.

The most comfortable golf shoes that I've ever worn were the Nike Shox from 2007.  I should have bought 10 pairs of those as they're discontinued now.

The Nike Air Max Edge from last year is what I currently wear and they're more comfortable than most.

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 11:49:11 AM »
I guess it depends on your foot width, pronation etc. But in my experience any 2 pairs of ECCO's that you favor will put you in good stead for any trip.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JSlonis

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »
I've worn nothing but Ecco's for the past several years until recently when I picked up pair of Adidas Tour 4.0''s.

I still love the Ecco's but the new Adidas shoes are fantastic.  Very comfotable right out of the box.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »
I just did back to back days of 36 in my Footjoy Classics and have to say their days are numbered.

I too have heard the Ecco's are amazing.

There isn't really an "aesthetics" shoe policy in the US.  Just as long as they don't have metal spikes.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »
My Adidas are by far the most comfortable golf shoe I've ever worn.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »
I believe our American cousins have invented a device which negates the need for super-comfy golf shoes. I think it is called the 'Golf Cart'. Maybe you could try one of those...

'tough classics - easy moderns'?? ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »
Kikkors, from James Lepp
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 07:57:33 PM »
I believe Mephisto makes golf shoes.  Not very posh, but like wearing slippers.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matthew Sander

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 08:07:36 PM »
I've heard really good things about the Adidas FitRx. You would have to be OK with more of a sneaker style, but some of the guys I play with swear by them.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 08:14:04 PM »
I believe our American cousins have invented a device which negates the need for super-comfy golf shoes. I think it is called the 'Golf Cart'. Maybe you could try one of those...

'tough classics - easy moderns'?? ;D

FBD.

MHM off duty?   ;)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 08:22:20 PM »
Brett

Your feet will take a pounding no matter which shoes you wear on 36+ hole days - particualrly if you get a few wet days in them.

Suggest you take some well worn in golf shoes + good hiking / walking one's to boot.

C. Squier

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »
The key is 2 pairs of shoes and 2 pairs of socks. Especially if putting your street shoes on between rounds. Nothing is worse than puttig a pair of wet shoes on. And bring the cedar shoe trees.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 01:23:20 AM »
Ron, those Kikkor shoes are out there from a golf stand point and very reasonably priced- not sure they are for me - but interesting market segment.
http://www.kikkor.com/Products/Shoes

Shoe trees are a given, I was thinking I would need some new ones, but KP is right again, some tried and tested pairs will probably be the go.

CHeers
bm
@theflatsticker

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »
I have had foot problems my entire life and some days it's a struggle just to walk 18.

The most comfortable golf shoes that I've ever worn were the Nike Shox from 2007.  I should have bought 10 pairs of those as they're discontinued now.

The Nike Air Max Edge from last year is what I currently wear and they're more comfortable than most.

I'll second Jonathan's recommendation.  They were my shoe of choice for an 8 day stretch of playing 252 holes, including a 36, 54, 36 stretch with Mike Leveille and Jim Colton at Ballyneal.  Mike would recommend his Merrill hiking shoes, which also seemed to work wonders.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 06:51:45 PM »
Another vote for Ecco.  I started wearing the golf shoes after several years of only wearing cross trainers to play golf because FJ's, Nike's, etc. just killed my feet.  After a couple of really bad bouts of plantar fasciitis, I tried the Ecco's and have never looked back.  For quality and comfort, they are unmatched.  I walk well over 100 rounds a year, and they are indestructible as well.

Short story long, Eccos are all I wear now for anything.  I think I have about 15 pairs total, from street to dress to golf to sandals to work boots.  They are just the best shoes made if you are going to be on your feet for extended periods of time.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Sam Morrow

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 07:10:22 PM »
I carried for 36 holes yesterday as I caddied for my sister in Open Qualifying and I wore cross trainers the whole time and am in pure agony right now.

Richard Choi

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 07:16:13 PM »
No more Footjoys for me as I have a wide feet and their arches are just too high and they dig in to my feet. I found Mizuno shoes to be very comfortable, but they are not available widely. The Nike shoes are pretty good for me as well.

I am planning to bring 3 pairs of shoes to Bandon as it seems like we will get some rain.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »
Adadias 360 are great.

I remember Redanman (an orthopedic guy) loved Ecco too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back