News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Richard Choi

Re: MELVYN!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:39:58 PM »
That is sweet. :)

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:41:42 PM »
"It is not necessarily just Tiger Woods, but he is probably the worst offender when it comes to throwing clubs."

I would be interested in hearing how you came to that conclusion, Melvyn.

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 07:04:06 PM »
None of that proves your claim, Melvyn.

I made no argument either for or against your statement, I just asked if you could explain how you came to the underlined conclusion.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:06:09 PM »
I think Pat Perez is far worse about throwing clubs and on course behavior than Tiger. But then again he's not likely to even qualify for the Open, let alone win it.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »
Melvyn is no better than any other "celebrity" using their newsworthy status to push a personal agenda.

He's Old Tom Morris' great great grandson, I suppose there's a story in there somewhere.  :-\

Congratulations, Melvyn, you haven't really done much to promote "golf as it's meant to be played" but you've stirred up some attention for your cause.  ::)
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:50:18 PM »
Cool stuff!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Matthew Runde

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 01:57:30 AM »
Melvyn, I was about to send a message to you regarding that article, when I saw this thread.  I like what you're doing, and I think it's very interesting that you're the great-great grandson of Old Tom.  I think Tiger's tournament behavior is terrible, and I applaud you for supporting your belief.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 02:26:07 AM »
Melvyn is no better than any other "celebrity" using their newsworthy status to push a personal agenda.

He's Old Tom Morris' great great grandson, I suppose there's a story in there somewhere.  :-\

Congratulations, Melvyn, you haven't really done much to promote "golf as it's meant to be played" but you've stirred up some attention for your cause.  ::)

No publicity is bad publicity etc...

I think it's worth mentioning that the on-course behaviour of certain pros is less than desirable... Woods is the easy story because of his celebrity... Whether this is the best way to do it is beside the point... It's the way that got in to the papers... so it's worth it...

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 07:05:29 AM »

can't wait to meet you in person Melvyn. Cheers.

Anthony

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 07:51:43 AM »
Whilst no fan of Woods I doubt he has hit a shot as a professional that wasn't recorded by TV cameras.

I doubt any other golfer has had such exposure; a few bads words, sulks or club throws in at least 84 000 shots - 20 events @ 280 shots x 15 years hardly calls for his achievements not to be marked should he win at St Andrews.
Cave Nil Vino

Carl Johnson

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »
Admittedly I'm not familiar with the professional tournament golf business in the U.K., but here in the U.S.A. I think it is a mistake to confuse PGA Tour golf with real golf.  PGA Tour players are professional golf entertainers, not golfers in the true sense.  I applaud Melvyn's interest in upholding the standards of traditional golf, but the US PGA Tour is show biz, plain and simple.  Tiger's just one of the many diverse characters in the show.  It's the Tour that permits, if not encourages, a certain amount of "colorful" behavior by both players and fans ("patrons" in the case of the Masters, which is possiby the closest to an exception).

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 09:00:06 AM »

Scott

Sorry old friend but all I need is to find one incidence to prove my claim. If I find two plus then my case is proven. In the case of Prestwick they have more than the above two, all in glorious colour and wait for it, moving images as well.

Scott, You are always good at challenging others but when challenged you come out with statements like “None of that proves your claim,” – well that’s your humble opinion, I feel I have provided more than would be required for a court of law.

Michael

What some of you seem to miss is that golf is not just a game to my family, it’s a way of life. Not many on this site have ever really consider that, so are at odds with me before I even begin. Neither is our interest in the game restricted to just one individual in history but encompasses many of the great names of the past. Allen Robertson is a product of the Morris Family some two generation earlier by marring a Morris so had a connection to Old Tom. For nearly a century my family has been promoting golf and designing golf courses (George & Jack Morris; Charlie Hunter &  John; Robert and John Hunter {Darien USA}; and not forgetting old Willie Rusack) for both the general public and Private Clients alike. The family aim was not to get rich quickly but to introduce people to the Game of Golf. Perhaps that does not sit well with the greedy times we live in today where each is out for what he/she can get. But that’s not mine or my late father way.

Golf is far more than a game to me. My family is from St Andrews, the back door of my grandmothers and fathers home was adjacent Old Tom Shop across the road from the 18th Green of TOC, a few yards further is the R&A Club House full of trophies many from my family.

Yet I am just an ordinary bloke, I claim no special treatment, in fact have arranged more courtesy of the course for others but never claimed any for myself.  Where possible I try to help those on this site, share information that might be of interest to some, open my arms to new members with photos and maps of St Andrews to enable them to understand the location of the courses and hotels etc. Yet surprisingly less than half ever acknowledge my efforts.

Of course I am going to have some strong feeling for the game and more so how the game is played and given the opportunity I will fight for the game. As for the Belt that’s personal, that’s family. In the years of 1860-70 it was won seven times by the Morris’s and finally outright by Young Tommy in 1870. It’s was the pride of place of Old Tom while he lived, it still was with my father and now me. Of course, even the replica I want to see go to a true sportsman, my campaign is not all about Tiger just that he has been the most visible and worst offender in the last year so I lead with him. But is this about honouring the old past Champions or a cynical approach by Prestwick Golf Club to generate publicity, stating,  we are still here come and visit us. Initially I did not believe this to be the case but now I wonder about their true motive, where as I am just seeking to protect my family and the pride and honour we still feel for the Championship Belt.

Tell me Michael what are you doing to make our golf course safer, sorry did not get that I though you said Sweet F*@k All. No problems, say and think what you like, why not indeed after all you just play the game and nothing else.

Whatever, I may be right, I may be wrong but I am standing up for what I believe in, attack that and not me, but of course you guys will always try and score point ignoring the game you say you so care for.

To others the Game of Golf like life and breathing is by its nature a repetitive game, live with it and my comments or just do not read them.

Melvyn

Gary Slatter

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 09:32:04 AM »
I would agree that he is the sorst offender for the simple fact that he is so prominent on TV with the largest audience in golf and the world.   I also think it will be an interesting Open as Tiger's outside romantic urges first sufaced during the Open at Turnberry with a certain UK TV person.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bill Brightly

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »
I applaud Melvyn. Tiger knows that he must stop his antics. The belt itself means little. The public scolding that this "threat" represents, however, DOES mean a lot to Tiger, in my estimation, especially coming from a storied club in Scotland.

Tiger is completely media savvy and he understands the history of the game. He also knows that his on-course behavior is a huge problem and he has to change.

I believe he will change, and that will be good for the game. I just hope Melvyn and others acknowledge that change if it occurs and applaud him.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 10:29:31 AM »

Bill

If Tiger changes and stops this nonsense of swearing or more seriously throwing clubs, I will be more than happy. Our sporting heroes should IMHO display a true sporting approach to the game that is fair and considerate to all. But that requires inner strength, so let’s hope he can claw his way back and be the sportsman we know he can and should be.

Its all down to him, lets not forget whose fault all this was from the start - Tigers. Perhasp a warning from the Governing Bodies might have made a difference but then they were rather quiet on the subjects, but that did not stop Wie from receiving a $90,000 fine while no one said anything to Tiger - does not quite sound fair or reasonable to me.

Melvyn

Andy Hughes

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12:25 AM »
Melvyn, good for you! 
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Anthony Butler

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 11:41:19 AM »

Its all down to him, lets not forget whose fault all this was from the start - Tigers. Perhasp a warning from the Governing Bodies might have made a difference but then they were rather quiet on the subjects, but that did not stop Wie from receiving a $90,000 fine while no one said anything to Tiger - does not quite sound fair or reasonable to me.

Melvyn

A $90,000 fine for Wie for her on-course behavior? When did that happen? As far I can remember, she was assessed a two-stroke penaty for breaking a rule and that cost her $90k in prize money.  There is currently nothing in the Rules of Golf about penalties for throwing clubs, just fines the PGA Tour levies and does not publicize. Current understanding here in the US is that Tiger has been fined somewhere between $100-200k for his on-course behavior over the last decade.

Melvyn, you have some good points (even Tom Watson has taken your side on this) but when you conflate facts to prove a point I think it weakens your argument considerably.

arb:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:01:41 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 11:51:57 AM »

Read the whole story

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Descendant-of-Old-Tom-Morris.6306595.jp

Just one of two examples to prove my case. Scott now its time for you to put up or shut up.

A) http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-videos/jb-ware-of-flying-clubs-13328/?ref=26000&rsec=298&select3=1

(B) http://ballhype.com/video/tiger-woods-throws-his-club/

(C) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Y1T761x5I&feature=related

(D) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcsqM06_nHU&feature=fvw

Melvyn

Two of those videos you posted are no longer availibe!!!  Since we are being sticklers here.

Also, ask yourself are there more cameras / video recorders on Tiger Woods than any other golfer and as a result catch every single time he does this.  I also must agree that tiger Woods does not do this more than any other golfer on tour.  I do not know if it is even possible to conclusively verify if Woods does it the most or not - we can say he certainly gets recrorded alot, but that does not mean that he does it the MOST.

I whole hearted agree that this is awfull behavior and does not belong on the golf course and your efforts are to be commended.  One alwasy must be carefull when using superlatives!

Chris

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »

My point about Wie was not behaviour but it show that the Authorities can act IF THEY WANT.  Had someone said last year had warned the players then we may not be in this mess today. If you are in charge, you are in charge but not seen any heads pop out of the R&A or any other Foxhole.

As for Tiger he is the most filmed/photographed player so one expect he will get the Lions  or Tigers share. But all my comments about poor course behaviour are aimed at all players (and I have said this time and again), I just leading with Tiger who has actually been the worst up to Christmas last year.

Its not about individuals its about respect for oneself, other players and those who love and enjoy the game or in the Pros case their paymasters The General Public, so surely we should expect a little in return.

What’s that old saying 'its not the individual you salute it’s the rank' – rank being the General Public in this case

Melvyn

Mark Woodger

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 01:01:42 PM »
removed. posted in error.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:04:37 PM by Mark Woodger »

Anthony Butler

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 02:52:33 PM »

My point about Wie was not behaviour but it show that the Authorities can act IF THEY WANT. 

This point, Melvyn, is simply wrong. The authorities did not act in Wie's case. The 2 stroke penalty occurs as soon as you ground your club in a hazard where your ball rests. To 'act' the authorities would have to reverse the Rules of Golf. In Woods case, there is nothing in the Rules of Golf that would cause them to act. The PGA Tour has the right to levy a fine on Woods for his outbursts... which they have done on at least a dozen occasions. Obviously whatever the fine is has no ability to change Woods behaviour. (although given how cheap he is, you'd think he'd hate giving up even $20,000 a year). 

The rest of your note is incomprehensible so I can't comment.
Next!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »

Anthony

Was Wie fined $90,000 and if so by whom and for what?

I am surprised you say the rest is incomprehensible so lets see if I can help

Tiger being the most visible offender I used him as my example of unacceptable behaviour. Tiger getting the lions share of my criticism.
up to Christmas last year. I have mention on GCA.com that I am using him as my example on many past occasions and why

Its all about Golfers showing respect to all others on a golf course -  many Pros get sponsorship and endorsements being payed big bucks , which is paid for in the end by the General Public - so in return, I expect the Pros to show some consideration to the General Public who seem to pay for everything in the end.

Trust that is no longer incomprehensible  - just a point of interest do you use an electronic aid when playing?

Melvyn

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Melvyn, she lost prizemoney as a result of the two shot penalty causing her to finish in a lower position. Not through a fine.

I think most of us agree with you that Tiger's on course behaviour has been less than ideal, along with many other pros, and would applaud an attempt for that to be addressed across the board, but to make statements like:

"It is not necessarily just Tiger Woods, but he is probably the worst offender when it comes to throwing clubs."

just dilutes your point, which is by and large a pretty valid one in this instance.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back