News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Shane Gurnett

Re: If you had to go with one set of blades you would choose.....?
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2010, 02:24:03 AM »
These ones (taking them out for a spin later this week)

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2010, 08:35:47 AM »
I acquired a set of the new Titleist 710 MBs a couple months ago, with KBS Tour shafts in them.  They're really, really nice.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Lou_Duran

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2010, 09:07:46 AM »
1999 Hogan Apex irons are in my bag today, but I've been playing Hogan irons since the late '70s (talk about brand loyalty!).  Prior to the '99s, the Apex PC was my favorite model.  Some of these are still around, though they suffer from the reputation of being hard to hit.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/1999-hogan-apex-blades/

As an aside, Pete Dye rumaged through my bag at Kiawah Island several years back, pulled out my 5-iron and swung it a few times.  He followed us around for a couple of holes and kept extolling the virtues of the Hogan Apex.  He was still bragging on the club when we saw him at dinner that night.  I had another set at home and thought about sending him my clubs but learned that he already owned multiple sets.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:13:56 AM by Lou_Duran »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:03 AM »
I have been using Titleist Blades for about 7 years now.  I have gotten so used to the profile and shape that I can't imagine using anything else.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

David Amarnek

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
Epon AF Tours (Endo) with KBS shafts.
Best looking blade and surprisingly, somewhat forgiving.

Ken Kearney

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2010, 12:08:58 PM »
Mizuno 18degree 2 iron
Mizuno MP 58.... 3 - 6iron
Mizuno MP 68 .... 7 - wedge
Mizuno 54 and 60

Got fitted earlier this summer... DG S300... absolutley love them...
Mind you... I need to get a really good putter. I amusing a piece of crap now, that is starting to misbehave... who does the best. please dont suggest a Scotty !!! I hate mass production junk that is overpriced...

KK
KK.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2010, 12:12:30 PM »
As a lefty, my blade options are a little more limited.  I have the 690 mb now.  I've been looking at the new Mizunos and Titleists, but they have a thicker top line that doesn't suit my eye.  I have to get a look at the new Nike VR Pros, and I am hoping Scratch builds some lh musclebacks, but I am sure the company has better priorities.  The Wilson Staff fg-59s were stunning, but no lh.

Jim Eder

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2010, 12:22:09 PM »
It is interesting that I have not seen many (any?) play the Nike VRs. I hit them, liked them, got fit for a new set and then when push came to shove I couldn't stop playing my Hogans. There is just something about Hogans. I am envious of Shivas, Mickey and Bob that they have the early 70s Apex irons. I used a set owned by a former State Am champion but they were lent to me and never mine and I had to give them back. Still my fav set ever, and the PCs are still amazing. And I have sets of Mizunos (terrific), MacGregor Muirfield set and the 20th set, Titleists and I see these other posts and think I have to try some other makes................................. Why are clubs so interesting.........................

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
Will,
Miura has a couple of lefty options in irons:

and wedge:

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

David_Tepper

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2010, 01:00:56 PM »
Sets of forged Hogan irons come up for sale regularly on EBAY, sometimes at surprisingly low prices.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »
Does anyone play those Goldwin AVDP blades that Nick Price designed in the late 90's?  Ive been casually looking for a nice set to buy, but cant find them anywhere...

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim Eder

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »
Shivas,

Thanks for the excellent poster of Hogan clubs. I think I need to go looking for some........... I forgot about those Medallions, I totally agree with you.

I will add, Kris Tschetter's book about Mr. Hogan was really good.  Of course, I worship Mr. Hogan so...............................

David,

Thank you, I need to check it out on Ebay. I really need to find me a set of those and maybe a few others as well.

PCCraig

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
I have a set of the 1984 Hogan PC's.... but honestly I don't care for them at all. I agree that the 1999 set is very solid and would be worth a look on Ebay.

I went back to blades this past year (MP-14's) and I never plan on switching back to cavity backs ever again.
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »
People who don't keep score don't count.

PCCraig

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »
I need to get a really good putter. I amusing a piece of crap now, that is starting to misbehave... who does the best. please dont suggest a Scotty !!! I hate mass production junk that is overpriced...

KK

The Ping Anser 2 is still the gold standard, as far as I'm concerned.  That's why Scotty ripped it off the second it came off patent...

H.P.S.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
Ken,
Can't miss with this, mine's been better to me (lefty version) than I deserve.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mickey Boland

« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »
Looks like I only have original shafts in 5 or 6 of them.  These are the 1973 model, based on Shivas' poster and knowing when I bought them.  When I was pulling these out I also found a beautiful Wilson Staff 1-iron circa late 70's that I forgot I had.  Beautiful iron.  Has an appearance like what I think we call a "muscleback" today.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:38:41 PM by Mickey Boland »

JR Potts

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2010, 11:02:54 PM »
Mizuno 18degree 2 iron
Mizuno MP 58.... 3 - 6iron
Mizuno MP 68 .... 7 - wedge
Mizuno 54 and 60

Got fitted earlier this summer... DG S300... absolutley love them...
Mind you... I need to get a really good putter. I amusing a piece of crap now, that is starting to misbehave... who does the best. please dont suggest a Scotty !!! I hate mass production junk that is overpriced...

KK

Get the see-more center shafted black putter.  Not the mallet.  I've been making everything.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2010, 12:19:54 AM »
Mizuno forgings/ProjectX shaft/Lamkin Tour cord grip.

Yummy!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2010, 01:25:26 AM »
Dave, it has always bugged me about that Hogan chart that the PC's are listed as a 1984 set.  Unless I'm younger than I think, or I graduated high school a year later than I think, I had a set of those 1-Equalizer with Apex 5 shafts that I bought from Rick Rhoads at SFGC in 1983.  He fitted me by having me hit some member irons out of the club storage...I took a few lessons from Rick back then as a high schooler.  Wish I still had them, but I sold them on the Golfweb classifieds back in the mid-90's.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2010, 01:26:48 AM »
Get 'em. Those Apex Grinds are as good a set of irons as there has ever been, IMO...

Hogan's without Apex shafts just aren't the same.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Rick Sides

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »
My two cents.....
Go with some type of cavity back irons.  A lot of tour players use cavity back, two examples are  Lee Westwood and Dustin Johnson.  Technology today is made to help the average guy. Heard a guy on the tour the other day say, "why wouldn't you use cavity irons if it can't hurt you."

Jason Topp

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2010, 09:02:20 AM »
My last set of blades were Palmer Standards which I played from around 82 through 91.  I liked the feel of those clubs far better than Hogans or Wilson Staff.

Tim Martin

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2010, 09:09:48 AM »
I went back to blades this past year (MP-14's) and I never plan on switching back to cavity backs ever again.

Pat,

I've played blades since age 8, so for over 42 years. I have hit the cavity occasionally and it felt wrong. Last week a playing partner told me I was really giving up a lot by playing the blades, which I don't believe. Even if it cost me a few strokes per round it is well worth it because the feel of a well hit blade is a pleasure like no other in this world. My youngest son is playing the Ping 10 and he is getting more serious about the game so I am troubled with whether to give him one of my Hogan blade sets so he can get the same pleasures out of the game that I have had playing blades.

It reminds me the other day I put Sticky Fingers on the turn table and in my mind I think it does sound much better than the CD, and you can't beat the occasional crackle. With more new issues coming out in vinyl I am thinking about making that switch back to vinyl when available. Unfortunately a lot of the really old stuff like Blind Willie Johnson only come on CD as far as I can find.

Kelly-My son is 15 and plays tournament golf. He wanted to try blade irons and I gave him some Magregor Tourney`s I had. He has never been happier or hit the ball better than after switching back to his Mizuno MX-900 cavity backs. I don`t think there is anything wrong with letting him try them out but there is no doubt that my son scores better with the cavity backs. My two cents.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back