News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike H

National Memberships
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:07:14 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows of any "good deals" on any National Memberships for Top 100 courses? 

Mac Plumart

Re: National Memberships
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »
Any specific part of the country your looking in?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:11:58 PM »
Do the famous town clubs do National memberships or does it just tend to be the out of the way places? Also what sort of cash are you talking about for such memberships? I guess they do not require monthlies.
Cave Nil Vino

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:22:23 PM »
I'm hitting the rack soon...so I'll just share what I've found thus far (as I am searching for a national club as well).

Some "deals" that I have found are Inverness and Prairie Dunes.  Both cost about $5k in up-front fees and have required annual/monthly dues tha a much less than the regular memberships.

Kingsley has even an even better cost structure, but per your original messages content it isn't a Top 100 course in every list...just Golfweek.

Some clubs have national memberships but are very expensive.  Old Sandwich comes to mind $75 of $85k if memory serves me correctly.  Canyata is something like $100k for a national membership!  That course and club must be awesome!  :)

What I am doing is checking out the clubs in areas of the country I travel to on a yearly basis anyway; usually where family is located. So having a national membership would incent me to go more often.  Hence, my question about what part of the country are you looking in.

Also, I think Pat Mucci posted a few days ago that you can get access to all the Trump courses for no initiation fee.

Also the Outpost Club is a pretty cool deal.

Good night!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:23:21 PM »
It's a LOT easier today than it was 10 years ago.  I was inquiring into a non-resident membership at an excellent Ross course in New York State. 

Back then they had no national memberships, but you could join for many $thousands, "move" and take on a non-resident membership.  The initiation fee would be lost forever.

They called me back last year and offered a great deal.  Unfortunately, my wife Laura was (still is) unemployed, so we couldn't afford it.

The point - deals are out there, some of which are extremely generous.

Good luck!

jonathan_becker

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:28:09 PM »
The Holston Hills deal is hard to beat.  All the info is on their website.

Mike H

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:47:29 PM »
Mac

I am located in Dayton, OH and have inquired to Inverness this week.  I would like to find something in the midwest. 

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:00:54 PM »
Many if not most prominate clubs have non resident Memberships which is somewhat the same as a National Membership. I am aware of many that are in both major cities and remot locations like Prairie Dunes. The ones I am familiar with do have annual, monthly and/or quarterly dues. The rules are all over he map but at the end of the day, most are great deals for the clubs and good deals for the Member. Oh by the by what self respecting GCA golfer would be a Member of any Trump Club for free or even less.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:04:08 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 11:14:19 PM »
i believe Wolf Run is a very attrative deal
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jon Heise

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:27:09 PM »
I'll spout off about Greywalls just about every opportunity I get...  National Memberships are so dirt cheap there (think- one car payment...).  Not ranked super high quite yet, but you get the picture.

Hope they open soon, I'm thinking road trip.
I still like Greywalls better.

Jim Tang

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:28:03 PM »
Mike -

You may want to consider Black Sheep Golf Club in Sugar Grove, Illinois, 50 miles west of downtown Chicago.  Many national members fly into Aurora on small private planes.  From there it's only maybe 30 minutes to the course.  There is an old farmhouse on site that sleeps 10 guys or so.  Roughly 110 members, perhaps 90 or them local and the rest national.  They do something like 6,000 rounds per year.  They've got 27 holes, prairie style.  Their national membership is very reasonable.  I want to say 8K to join plus dues, but I could be wrong there.  They are looking to grow their membership.  There isn't a pool or any social events other than a handful of tournaments.  It's just golf.

The only potential downside is it's a mens only club, so if there is a Mrs. she may not like that aspect.

Rob Miller

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 11:29:18 PM »
The Pete Dye Golf Club in W. Va is currently looking for members. Information I believe can be found on their website.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 12:40:43 AM »
Check Hidden Creek out...

http://www.hiddencreekclub.com/

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 12:54:55 AM »
I wonder what the cost breakdown would be on a national membership at a US Top 100 club vs an overseas membership at a GB&I Top 50 + however many airfares you'd use in a year?

Obviously it would only make sense to someone who lived on the East Coast (or loved sitting in planes...) and had a decent amount of disposable time, but I guess if you're looking at National Memberships away from where you live you have at least a modicum of the latter.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 01:04:48 AM »
Perhaps look into Ballyhack's membership program.
http://www.ballyhackgolfclub.com/
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bill Brightly

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 04:50:01 AM »
Saucon Vallley in Bethlehem, PA , 3 great courses, guest house, etc. Send me a message if you would like details.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 05:53:22 AM »
I can certainly vouch for Black Sheep very good courses that play in a style to links golf. No chef or dining room just decent food from the barbie and simple facilities. I understand they have some good accommodation, just avoid the "walk of shame"!!

Inverness is on a different scale, proper championship golf, excellent facilities and lovely cottages to stay in. As a Brit used to varied weather I'd find Inverness uncomfortable in the summer months meaning April, May and early June followed by September and October as the only real pleasant golfing weather.

Yet to visit Saucon Valley but the members I've met from there are charming so it must be a great place!
Cave Nil Vino

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »
I have several friends who have joined Old Memorial in Tampa as National Members. The course is close to the airport and features outstanding cottages and food. This is a Steve Smyers design that excels in both course conditioning and service. Worth a look if you frequent Tampa.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 08:43:06 AM »
I wonder what the cost breakdown would be on a national membership at a US Top 100 club vs an overseas membership at a GB&I Top 50 + however many airfares you'd use in a year?

Obviously it would only make sense to someone who lived on the East Coast (or loved sitting in planes...) and had a decent amount of disposable time, but I guess if you're looking at National Memberships away from where you live you have at least a modicum of the latter.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_38/b4001089.htm

Reality is it is hard to get to any of them national or international........

Bill Kubly

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 08:58:27 AM »
Flint Hills in Kansas has a National membership for $15,000 and is a great club.  They really try to get their National and Regional members involved.  Ballyhack's National membership is $15,000 as well and is limited to only 60 local members so it is really more of a National or Regional membership club anyway.

Jim Colton

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 10:16:13 AM »
Speaking from experience, I'd advise to stick to something you can get to on a direct flight without too much hassle or cost (or 4-5 hr drive at most).  If you're spending a lot to get there and wasting a day each way, it may limit the number of times you can reasonably get there in a year, where a club that you can get to quickly makes a last-minute 3-day weekend fix always a possibility.

Mike H

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 10:28:55 AM »
Maybe I am in the minority but I don't find $15,000 to be a great deal lol.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 11:39:41 AM »
If $15k is no big deal, then join Holston AND Pete Dye.  PD is $12k initiation. 

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 12:06:15 PM »
Mike, check your PM.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 12:20:25 PM »
I played Old Memorial in March, and it is a nice club with housing "on campus" and close to the tampa airport. It was ver easily from JFK. I was interested in the membership details, does anyone have specifics?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back