News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Mickelson v Norman
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:14:09 PM »
Both aggressive players....one's exciting to watch.....both have had their highs and lows in Major tournaments....who would you rate the better golfer ? Why ?

Kalen Braley

Re: Mickelson v Norman
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:23:45 PM »
Phil,

Double the amount of majors won and almost double the amount of PGA tour wins as well.

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:27:12 PM »
Both aggressive players....one's exciting to watch.....both have had their highs and lows in Major tournaments....who would you rate the better golfer ? Why ?

Norman won all around the world multiple times, on all sorts of courses, in all possible conditions.

Mickelson only plys his trade in on the sanitised US PGA Tour, apart from maybe two OS sojourns a year.

Norman number one for years, so he was consistently there, taking back the position from the likes of Faldo and Price during their brief periods at the top - and he did it with the old equipment.

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:32:24 PM »

Norman won all around the world multiple times, on all sorts of courses, in all possible conditions.

Mickelson only plys his trade in on the sanitised US PGA Tour, apart from maybe two OS sojourns a year.

Norman number one for years, so he was consistently there, taking back the position from the likes of Faldo and Price during their brief periods at the top - and he did it with the old equipment.

I didn't realize that Faldo and Price won back then with modern equipment. Where did they get it? Back to the Future DeLorean? :)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:35:08 PM »
Mark,

Let's compare meltdowns at the Masters. Oh, wait. That category belongs to Greg. Never mind.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

mark chalfant

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »
I need to sleep on this.......

some U. S. A. tour stats

Greg  career scoring average    68.40      21 PGA  wins          top tens   139   out of  351 starts

Phil    career scoring average    68.17      37  PGA  wins        top tens:   143   of      402 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:57:17 PM »
Mark,

Let's compare meltdowns at the Masters. Oh, wait. That category belongs to Greg. Never mind.

Gayland

Lets not forget Mickelson's 5 US Open R/Ups as well incl. his Winged Foot meltdown  ;)

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 12:06:11 AM »
If Norman didn't have an incredible ability to find ways to lose and get beat by some absurd shots in majors, he probably would be considered the better player. But he did, and history is judged by majors so Mickelson will be considered better by history.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »
And to boot.

Phil has got at least 10 more good years on tour.  I predict 3 more majors and 15 more wins...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 12:16:16 AM »
Mark,

Gayland

Lets not forget Mickelson's 5 US Open R/Ups as well incl. his Winged Foot meltdown  ;)

Kayvan,

By Greg's definition of "meltdown", what Phil had was a hick up.
Are you denigrating Jack for his 13 runners up finishes?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Coan

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 12:28:20 AM »
Pretty simple really.  Phil has WON twice as many majors as Greg; 4 to 2.

Not only that but Phil has elevated himself from the Vijay, Ernie, Paddy troika of guys with 3 majors in the Tiger era.  He can easily win a bunch more; time will tell.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:31:45 AM »
Garland (sorry)  ;)

True for Norman re: 1996 and Faldo....

What say you of Mickelson's British Open record ?

Re: Jack's record....I think his 18 Major victories offsets that to a degree  :P

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 12:39:04 AM »
Mickelson by a landslide.  Its not even close.  Mickelson has more game then Norman could ever think of.

A number of years ago I followed Norman at Cypress Point.  On #10, a par 5, he was just off the green to the left in 2.  I was standing directly behind him.  He had the easiest chip ever, a short bump and run.  Amazingly he opens up a sand wedge and tried to flop it.  It was then I relized the guy had no brain.

Mark_F

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 01:23:53 AM »
Where are all you Yanks getting four Majors for Phil from?

Mickelson has a solitary Major next to his name - the Masters is nothing more than a glorified exhibition, and cannot be classified as a Major.

Norman 2, Mickelson 1.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 01:26:38 AM »
Garland (sorry)  ;)

True for Norman re: 1996 and Faldo....

What say you of Mickelson's British Open record ?

Re: Jack's record....I think his 18 Major victories offsets that to a degree  :P

Lefty has one more runner up than win. Jack had one more runner up than win. So what is your point?  :P

David_Elvins

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 01:27:10 AM »
Breaking it up into home and away to allow for home country advantage.

Greg Norman: 31 wins at home, 57 overseas.

Mickelson: 38 wins at home, 8 overseas.

Looking at amount of time spent as dominant player in the world.  Weeks as world's number 1 ranked player:

Norman:  331  (6.5 years)
Mickelson: 0    

It's hard to find a way in which Phil out ranks Norman other than 'majors won' which when used without any further context is the unfortunate refuge of the simpleton.  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 01:29:41 AM »
Where are all you Yanks getting four Majors for Phil from?

Mickelson has a solitary Major next to his name - the Masters is nothing more than a glorified exhibition, and cannot be classified as a Major.

Norman 2, Mickelson 1.

Oh, but how Greg loved to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at that glorified exhibition.
Is there a fourth major we should be counting now that you have ruled that we can't count the glorified exhibition?

Scott Coan

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 01:43:49 AM »
Breaking it up into home and away to allow for home country advantage.

Greg Norman: 31 wins at home, 57 overseas.

Mickelson: 38 wins at home, 8 overseas.

Looking at amount of time spent as dominant player in the world.  Weeks as world's number 1 ranked player:

Norman:  331  (6.5 years)
Mickelson: 0    

It's hard to find a way in which Phil out ranks Norman other than 'majors won' which when used without any further context is the unfortunate refuge of the simpleton.  

So let's put a little more perspective into it for you.  Greg Norman was a member of the US PGA Tour for the vast majority of his career.  He moved from his home country to Florida in order to pursue that career.  He went on to win 20 PGA Tour events, a little more than HALF that of Phil's 38.  Is that enough perspective for you?

How many weeks at #1 would Norman have been if Tiger was born 15 years earlier?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:46:03 AM by Scott Coan »

Mark_F

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 01:46:54 AM »

Clearly all of the Phil has Four brigade also believe that Larry Nelson and Hale Irwin are better players than Greg Norman, and Scott Simpson, Andy North and Lee Janzen are as good.

Scott Coan

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 01:50:45 AM »
The only thing I'll grant you Mark is that Norman is twice as good as Micheal Campbell  :)

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 01:52:37 AM »
It was then I relized the guy had no brain.

Joel, how do you reconcile this with the fact that 1) Norman had one of the best short games on Tour, and 2) he's been a very successful businessman.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mark_F

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 01:52:48 AM »
Oh, but how Greg loved to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at that glorified exhibition.

Greg snatched defeat because he wasn't really interested in winning it.

When the heat was on in the true Masters - the Australian version - Greg stormed home with six big wins.

Is there a fourth major we should be counting now that you have ruled that we can't count the glorified exhibition?

The Australian Open has a better field, and is more difficult to win.

Pat Burke

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 03:04:42 AM »
I want to answer a question with a question :-X
IMO Greg is to be respected for the hard work that enabled him to be a worldwide champion. 
Butch Harmon told me he had never seen anyone work as hard as him until he worked with Tiger.
So, my question.
WHich would Greg really rather have?  Phil's majors, or his?   I always thought Augusta was Greg's Moby Dick

All I know, is that both of them are damn good

Jim Nugent

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 03:26:35 AM »
Fascinating to watch the Aussies on board here (some of them) equate wins on the Aussie tour with wins on the U.S. tour...and explain why the Australian Masters counts as much as the one just finished. 

Joel, how do you reconcile this with the fact that 1) Norman had one of the best short games on Tour, and 2) he's been a very successful businessman.

Whatever happened at CPC, Norman's undoing overall IMO was the mental/emotional side of his game.  Time after time he self-destructed.  So while he had the physical ability to win maybe 10 majors, he came away with only two. 

Mickelson has won twice as many majors as Greg, and Phil is probably not done yet.  He also has won nearly twice as many PGA events as Greg.  And both played around the same number of events.  "Home country advantage" is a total red herring: the advantage Norman had at his home was the far inferior competition there. 

Norman did not have to face the all-time terminator of golf, Tiger Woods.  As Scott Coan pointed out, how many weeks does he spend as #1 if he does? 

David Elvins talking about the refuge of the simpleton is serious example of the pot calling the kettle black. 

Steve Salmen

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 03:27:01 AM »
Mark,

If I'm not mistaken, the tournament Greg Norman wanted to win more than any other in the world was the Masters.  It may not be a major to you but it certainly was to him.  He had several chances.  He never closed the deal on the big one and it was not for lack of talent.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back