News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kirk Stewart

Dr J Dunked On..
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:42:51 PM »

http://www.11alive.com/11at7/article.aspx?storyid=142374&catid=352

TUCKER, Ga. -- Those who play Celebrity International golf course, located just outside the perimeter near Tucker, say it's a mostly undiscovered jewel,  and one of golf's more challenging courses.

"Number five, the par three over there?  I've seen people five putt it," said Jerry Gilmartin, one of the marshals of the course.  Martin says the course, with its hills and "undulating greens," humbles the best of golfers.

Four years ago, the course caught the eye of Julius Erving, the pro basketball Hall of Famer known as "Doctor J."  Erving invested three million dollars in it -- and the investment, he says, quickly turned disastrous.

"What went wrong was, from day one, I was somewhat duped into believing there was a value associated with the property," Erving says. 

Now Erving says his investment money is gone -- lost, he says, by those who cut the business deal and ran the golf course.

"There was definitely an inside relationship with my partner, who was one of my best friends and my daughter's Godfather... he was the linchpin," said Erving. 

11Alive News was unable to reach the partner.  An attorney for the company that financed the deal declined comment.

Next week the 240 acre, 27 hole golf course will be sold in foreclosure on the steps of the Gwinnett County courthouse.
Erving's attorney, Dorna Taylor, says "he was doomed to fail from the beginning." 

Erving says his investment experience has been a sobering, cautionary tale for a guy accustomed to success -- now living his own real estate nightmare.

"The bottom line was, it was a bad partner and it was a bad deal," said Erving. 

Erving's attorney expects to file a lawsuit after the property is sold at auction. 

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Dr J Dunked On..
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 09:05:23 PM »
Kirk,

What a coincidence.

I was with Dr J two weeks ago tonight.

I had originally come in contact with him many years ago through his agent/lawyer.
And, the day before, I was on a practice tee with the former owner of the 76's, which was another coincidence

Dr J remains accessible and friendly to the general public and fans.

It's too bad that the golf venture went sour.
So many world class athletes love golf.
I think it's because they can't believe, with all their talent, that it's so hard to get that little stationary ball, into the hole.

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:12:35 PM »
Hard to tell from the article if people were stealing from him or that the cash flow was insufficient to service the debt associated with the property. I cannot imagine that a declining real estate market helped the situation. Dr. J was a phenomenal athlete and always seemed like a good guy. I hope he gets his day in court if in fact he was duped.

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:41:37 PM »
I designed and built the Heritage course that Dr J built.  He always palys in the coaches for Cancer tourney and thru that He had been at a course I had done in costa Rica and I had met him a few times....when he mentioned purchasing the Heritage course I tried to explain it to him but he had a partner that had him convinced....Dr J meant well with the project but the loan was for over 11 Million and all of the land was leased so there was nothing there except for the improvements....there are 38 years remaining on the lease.....not much of a deal any way you slice it....
Suffice to say There were some bad deals made regarding golf in the 90's ??? ??? ???
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:14:45 PM »
Kirk,

What a coincidence.

I was with Dr J two weeks ago tonight.

I had originally come in contact with him many years ago through his agent/lawyer.
And, the day before, I was on a practice tee with the former owner of the 76's, which was another coincidence

Dr J remains accessible and friendly to the general public and fans.

It's too bad that the golf venture went sour.
So many world class athletes love golf.
I think it's because they can't believe, with all their talent, that it's so hard to get that little stationary ball, into the hole.

Patrick,

Could you please stop all this hob knobbing with the beautiful people and complete that masterful NGLA thread?

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:23:41 PM »
Mike Young,

Hope all is well. I always enjoyed the original 18 at Heritage (Celebrity) and thought it was one of the more compelling Public courses in the area. The original slope from the tips was at one time in the 150s and the greens where heavily contoured and fun. Not that many courses in Atlanta (public or private) that had interesting contours like Celebrity's original 18 do.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:28:57 PM by Kirk Stewart »

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 07:29:37 PM »
Mike Young,

Hope all is well. I always enjoyed the original 18 at Heritage (Celebrity) and thought it was one of the more compelling Public courses in the area. The original slope from the tips was at one time in the 150s and the greens where heavily contoured and fun. Not that many courses in Atlanta (public or private) that had intersting contours like Celebrity's original 18 does.

Thanks Kirk,
I hope it gets back where it needs to be....I don't know why they built the third nine....the owner just did it with the shapers and never really laid anything out.....I think it might go away.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Catching up with this thread.... Heritage is a very good course, as I've told Mike Young many times. It is a gutsy, daring design.

It's a shame that Heritage seems to be going down. I hope it someone buys it and keeps it open for play. It is one of the best public access courses in metro Atlanta.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back