News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

16th Augusta NGC, what was it .....
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:01:17 PM »
originally like?

Currently, P3 170 yard carry over pond.
Do you know by how much the tee markers vary?

What was "Redbud" like when Mackenzie Jones first layed it out, did it have water/pond then?

I beleive it was changed in 1947 (website) - can someone tell me what changed. Apprently it was similar to #12 and too easy for the pros.

Specifically, length and then bunkering - was it always a water carry the full length?

Has there been any holes built similarly that have captured the 'feeling' or 'intrinsic nature' of the hole?

Cheers
Brett
@theflatsticker

BCrosby

Re: 16th Augusta NGC, what was it .....
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »
Brett -

There are a number of good pictures of the original 16th. Perhaps someone will post them.

The tee of the original hole was to the right of the 15th green. You played across Rae's Creek (it was not damned and still a creek as it appears downstream at Amen Corner) to a green angled along the line of the creek from front left to rear right. I don't have my books, but I believe the hole was about 150 yards and without bunkers. It was modeled on a similar par 3 at Stoke Poges in England.

The current 16th - with the tee and the green flipped to opposite sides of the creek - was built by Robert Trent Jones and put in play in 1948.

There have been many changes to ANGC over the years, but the 16th is the only completely new hole.

Bob  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 09:57:12 PM by BCrosby »

V. Kmetz

Re: 16th Augusta NGC, what was it .....
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »
What BC said is all true.

Though the landscape has been completely altered, the pre-1947 green was sited on the current spectator's bank left of the pond, directly across from the current left green side bunker.

For this first version of the hole, the yardage was officially "145 yards."  In addition to the main tee immediately off the back right of the 15th green, shortly after the first season of play, ANGC also built a second tee, off of the back left of the 15th green.  This second tee was halfway between the 15th green and the current tee, in the area where most players exit the 15th today.

From either tee the hole played very slightly downhill.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back