News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

Early Doak design to be "revitalized"?
« on: March 26, 2010, 11:02:38 AM »
The IRI Golf Group operates a number of courses in the Charlotte area, including the Charlotte Golf Links.  In yesterday's Charlotte Observer the Chairman of IRI, Jeff Silverstein, was quoted as follows:

"Silverstein said he's also interested in revitalizing Charlotte Golf Links, one of the early designs by Tom Doak, now one of the world's most prominent designers.

"'We think we can take (Charlotte Golf Links) to the next level,' Silverstein said."

Anyone know more about this?

Link to entire newspaper article below, although nothing more about Charlotte Golf Links as such.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/03/25/1334626/carolina-trail-courses-mostly.html#ixzz0jIKQ7SPY
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:12:18 PM by Carl Johnson »

Craig Van Egmond

Re: Early Doak design to be "revitalized"?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 11:16:20 AM »
Somewhere in the world will be born a child that will have a very successful career restoring Tom Doak courses. Fortunately they will have the archives of GCA to help them understand the architects original intent.  :)

J Sadowsky

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 11:31:31 AM »
The IRI Golf Group operates a number of courses in the Charlotte area, including the Charlotte Golf Links.  In yesterday's Charlotte Observer the Chairman of IRI, Jeff Silverstein, was quoted as follows:

"Silverstein said he's also interested in revitalizing Charlotte Golf Links, one of the early designs by Tom Doak, now one of the world's most prominent designers.

"'We think we can take (Charlotte Golf Links) to the next level,' Silverstein said."

Anyone know more about this?

Link to entire article below, although nothing more about Charlotte Golf Links as such.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/03/25/1334626/carolina-trail-courses-mostly.html#ixzz0jIKQ7SPY

I wonder if they approached Doak first.  I wonder, if so, what Doak's thoughts and responses were. 

Even if they didn't, I wonder what Tom has to think about the "revitalization" of Charlotte.  I can't imagine he would hae done CGL exactly the same after all he has learned, but I also wonder if he takes any offense to one of his courses needing "revitalizing."

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:09:40 PM »
This revitalization might be from a turf standpoint. I remember Tom saying in the past that the group that he built the course for only had the land leased for 20 years (I think that was the number) With that 20 years coming up it is possible they let the conditioning go a bit thinking they may be about to lose the course and recently may have worked out a new lease for a longer period of time. All of this is supposition on my part, of course.  So it may be that this revitalization might just be increased spending on course conditions. Of course it could be a total redesign......

Carl Johnson

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »
This revitalization might be from a turf standpoint. I remember Tom saying in the past that the group that he built the course for only had the land leased for 20 years (I think that was the number) With that 20 years coming up it is possible they let the conditioning go a bit thinking they may be about to lose the course and recently may have worked out a new lease for a longer period of time. All of this is supposition on my part, of course.  So it may be that this revitalization might just be increased spending on course conditions. Of course it could be a total redesign......
John, you may well be right.  That, and maybe some sprucing up here and there -- clubhouse and it's landscaping, for example.  My recollection is that the lease was for a little longer than 20 years, but I'd put no money on that.  When the course was built it was on the outskirts of Charlotte.  Some might have said it's "in the country."  Now it's in the midst of housing tracts and small shopping centers, so recently some have speculated that the land is much more valuable for a use other than a golf course (though maybe not in the housing market in 2009-2010).  On the other hand, it's a great location for a daily fee course, or so it would seem.  Although I have not played there in the past seven or eight years, it's a valuable resource for golfers and it would be a shame to lose it.  The hopeful sign is that the golf company is forward-looking on the golf prospects for the land.  I too would be interested to hear if Tom Doak knows what Jeff Silverstein might be talking about.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 09:47:42 AM by Carl Johnson »

Philippe Binette

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:42:26 PM »
That's a new market: Tom Doak restoration expert.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:19:51 PM »
Philippe:

That's a business model for several of my associates.

I've been in Europe for two weeks, but no word from my office about a call from Mr. Silverstein yet, so honestly I have no idea what to think about it.  I am sure the course could use some work.

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 09:49:49 PM »
Somewhere in the world will be born a child that will have a very successful career restoring Tom Doak courses. Fortunately they will have the archives of GCA to help them understand the architects original intent.  :)

Tom Doak/Jim Urbina : Old Macdonald, Eric Iverson/_____ : Old Doak.

a) Matthew Hunt
b) Jordan Wall
c) Jim Colton
d) Ben Sims

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 04:15:23 AM »
Ben:

(e)  none of the above.  The options should have been

(a)  Jonathan Reisetter
(b)  Mike McCartin
(c)  George Waters
(d)  Jacob Erisman

However, if they had any marketing sense at all they would call the course "Old Tom".  But poor Melvyn would then be joining me in the great above.

Ben Sims

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
Ben:

(e)  none of the above.  The options should have been

(a)  Jonathan Reisetter
(b)  Mike McCartin
(c)  George Waters
(d)  Jacob Erisman

However, if they had any marketing sense at all they would call the course "Old Tom".  But poor Melvyn would then be joining me in the great above.

(e) wasn't a choice.  Fiddlesticks!!  Tell us about the rising stars you mentioned.

BTW, sorry about Cornell's run ending.  It was cool to see it while it lasted.  Kentucky was just too fast.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 02:26:32 PM »
Ben:

I hesitated to list those four because there are so many other talented young guys out there, including several more who have worked for us.  I listed the four I did because none of them ever get mentioned on Golf Club Atlas (and none of them promote themselves here).

I interviewed Jonathan and Mike on the same day for our internship program a few years ago ... and it was a really good day, considering that neither of them won the award, but both have worked for us for most of the time since, when they weren't at school.  Both of them worked at Ballyneal; Jonathan moved on to Montana and Wicked Pony and Common Ground and the second wave at Old Macdonald, while Mike worked at The Renaissance Club and Wicked Pony and then was part of the first holes at Old Mac.  Both of them have done a lot of great finish work, and we've allowed them to try their hand at some of the bunkers and one or two greens.  If I were busier, they would have more to do, they are certainly ready.

George was an intern with Philippe Binette in Tasmania, and also worked at Sebonack and Rock Creek and The Renaissance Club and Aetna Springs.  He was also part of the bunkering crew for Kyle Phillips at the Cal Club (along with Kyle Franz), as well as working for Kyle in Sweden and Italy.

Jacob Erisman was an intern at Common Ground; he's back in school at Cornell now, but is over here studying at St. Andrews this semester and we just played golf with him a couple of days ago.  He's much earlier on the learning curve but he is only 19 or 20 so he may be around long enough to fix my mistakes.

Ben Sims

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 02:45:38 PM »
Ben:

I hesitated to list those four because there are so many other talented young guys out there, including several more who have worked for us.  I listed the four I did because none of them ever get mentioned on Golf Club Atlas (and none of them promote themselves here).

I interviewed Jonathan and Mike on the same day for our internship program a few years ago ... and it was a really good day, considering that neither of them won the award, but both have worked for us for most of the time since, when they weren't at school.  Both of them worked at Ballyneal; Jonathan moved on to Montana and Wicked Pony and Common Ground and the second wave at Old Macdonald, while Mike worked at The Renaissance Club and Wicked Pony and then was part of the first holes at Old Mac.  Both of them have done a lot of great finish work, and we've allowed them to try their hand at some of the bunkers and one or two greens.  If I were busier, they would have more to do, they are certainly ready.

George was an intern with Philippe Binette in Tasmania, and also worked at Sebonack and Rock Creek and The Renaissance Club and Aetna Springs.  He was also part of the bunkering crew for Kyle Phillips at the Cal Club (along with Kyle Franz), as well as working for Kyle in Sweden and Italy.

Jacob Erisman was an intern at Common Ground; he's back in school at Cornell now, but is over here studying at St. Andrews this semester and we just played golf with him a couple of days ago.  He's much earlier on the learning curve but he is only 19 or 20 so he may be around long enough to fix my mistakes.

Thanks for that Tom.  Always good to see new talent moving through the ranks.  I am sure some of the more development minded among us will file those names into their craniums.  Getting they're name on GCA can't hurt.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 06:05:07 PM »
 Getting they're name on GCA can't hurt.

Ben:

Sure it could hurt.  It could go to their heads.  It could make outsiders think they're ready to do something they're not (although I was ready when I was 25, and three of these four might be able to swim by themselves if thrown into the deep end).  It could undermine the recognition for Jim Urbina and Bruce Hepner and Brian Slawnik and Eric Iverson and Brian Schneider, who have taught these guys nearly everything they know.

Everything on GCA is overrated.

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 06:17:49 PM »

my bunker building is not overrated, just sayin....
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ben Sims

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 06:29:47 PM »
 Getting they're name on GCA can't hurt.

Ben:

Sure it could hurt.  It could go to their heads.  It could make outsiders think they're ready to do something they're not (although I was ready when I was 25, and three of these four might be able to swim by themselves if thrown into the deep end).  It could undermine the recognition for Jim Urbina and Bruce Hepner and Brian Slawnik and Eric Iverson and Brian Schneider, who have taught these guys nearly everything they know.

Tom,

I disagree.  This group of folks has an influence greater than the sum of its parts.  This isn't 2003, people read this site.  Thousands of golfers and writers and even developers jump on here to see what opinions are being thrown out and by whom.  

My good friend was at a convention in Anaheim--I think--last year and was talking to some random Colonel about golf.  Over a beer or two, the Colonel then proceeds to quote me regarding Bandon--he had no idea that he was speaking to a friend if mine.  He then goes on to wonder aloud how an AF pilot could get paid to do golf reviews for a website.  Ha! There are some out there that think rights to post here mean that you are some kind of insider.  Of course that's not true, but perception has a funny way of becoming true.  I mean, the WSJ would NEVER quote a thread on a website, right?

Now whether exposure here hurts or helps young guns in the business is irrelevant.  No one is saying they're ready to head a project.  I was simply making an SAT-like word association in regards to a post made earlier.  It spurred you to recognize some even younger talent that have worked for Renaissance.  Again, as long as it's in moderation, can't be all bad.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 11:00:33 AM »
Ben,

I guess you got in on the "basic" package then?  I'm both an insider and paid very well.   ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »
Ben,

I guess you got in on the "basic" package then?  I'm both an insider and paid very well.   ;D

My pay package went way up after the GRUDGE MATCH.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back