News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RDecker

Lockeroom remake
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:01:43 AM »
We've just spent the winter renovating our lockerooms and I was wondering if anyone out there has any pics or ideas that they'd like to offer for ideas for cool finishing touches.  We are considering putting in a men's lounge with bar in their side but I'm wondering how that goes over at clubs where it exists? 

Gary Slatter

Re: Lockeroom remake
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:16:30 AM »
Royal Burgess and Muirfield get my vote - what I really like is the fact that you can see over the lockers which makes it feel more spacious.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:16:51 AM »
A bar in the Men's locker may not be politically correct but is usually a wise economic decision. F*^*^ the PC BS and do the right thing....build the bar, you will not regret it! One of my clubs has one and one does not. I prefer to hang at the club with the bar in the Men's locker room as do many of my fellow members.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:05:29 AM »
The bar in the MLR is an absolute must. Who cares how it goes over with the womens and childrens.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »
I'm not sure a bar counts as a "finishing touch," but I agree that having one is cool -- so long as there's enough separation from the showers and lockers....for obvious reasons

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:55:31 AM »
Agreed.  For all the hype the men's LR gets at Old Memorial, there's nothing worse than having a cocktail and appetizer while you get an eyeful of full frontal 6 feet from you.

Michael Rossi

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »
If I recall correctly, Calusa Pines locker room was pretty cool. Like Royal Burgess and Muirfield you can see over the lockers and had a small bar area. Perhaps Patrick Hodgdon can get you some images for ideas.

Matt Elliott

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 11:47:59 AM »
A bar in the locker room is a definite bonus. I do agree that it is better it is a bit separate from the actual locker area but other than than it's great to be able just to sit down and have a drink after playing. The club where I play has a men's stag room attached to the locker room. It's great, there are usually guys hanging out in there after playing, eating, playing cards, watching games etc. It's actually the only part of the clubhouse I've used so far, I see no reason to go to the other areas.

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »
A bar in the men's locker room is one of the few clubhouse investments that makes sound financial sense...particularly if it's self serve!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 11:59:50 AM »
When you fellows are talking about a bar in the locker room, and card tables, etc, are you talking about this in lieu of a formal men's grill that is a separate and segregated dining area?

If so, I'm in full accord and think it's probably the way to go in these days of increasing pressure against such discriminatory practices as a men's grill, exclusionary tee times, etc.

Chris Shaida

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »
At my club we've taken an underutilized room and have been promoting its use as a men's bar/lunchroom.  We have a big renovation of the whole locker room planned but have deferred it (for the likely reasons) so we've made modest changes and it's working out quite well.  Noticeable increase in beverage and lunch orders.  We made one material change to move the locker room attendant's room adjacent to this room (so the attendant could also take lunch orders etc.).  Much more relaxed to be able to come in after a round of golf and not worry about one's state of dress or one's language.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 01:55:16 PM »
I can't recall a MLR I've been in that had a bar inside. A men's grille attached, yes. If I can take my black and tan with me , I'm good. My 2 pet peeves about locker rooms: First and foremost, the shower. It can't have that Motel 6 tiny shower head. I'm talking "rain" style shower head or something with pressure and water flow. A Donald Trump golf course waterfall type shower head. Secession golf club is a prime example of a great shower. Nothing is better after walking. Second, high ceilings. One of my clubs has the most claustrophobic loker room know to man. I never go in there.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 02:15:46 PM »
Chechessee Creek gets it right.  Window off the main grill into the LR for drink and food orders. 

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 04:26:02 PM »
Definitely build the bar - you won't regret it.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »
If I recall correctly, Calusa Pines locker room was pretty cool. Like Royal Burgess and Muirfield you can see over the lockers and had a small bar area. Perhaps Patrick Hodgdon can get you some images for ideas.

I don't know that I have a picture of the Locker Room on file but yes there is a bar in it in the back of the men's locker room. The owner traveled the country to look at different locker rooms and built the one at CP with the one at Milwaukee CC most in mind. (I think there was another influence from a course in Kansas? IIRC) Anyway it's a huge north woods lodge style with 10 odd rows of lockers when you walk in and then an open area with tables and a bar at the far end. Above the bar is a large wooden plaque with the winners of the annual member/guest tournament and above that a large elk/moosehead. It's somewhat similar to Seminole in this way. I've never heard anyone say they didn't like the locker room and is usually considered one of the best.

Bill you are correct in that we're talking about a bar and grill actually in the same area as the lockers/showers. Basically take the Men's Grill at PCC and put it in the same room as the lockers.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

J_ Crisham

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »
Definitely build the bar - you won't regret it.
Kyle,  If you have a few pictures to post it would be pretty self explanatory. Hard to believe anyone would mind a bar like yours in their lockerroom.  Must have the leather couches too! ;)                                          Jack

Chuck Brown

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 08:58:34 PM »
I am very tempted to like the idea of a bar for the most part, but I would swear that of all the clubs that I have seen with such bars, all but a handful went unused.  And in my own mind, an unused, untended bar just seems to detract from a locker room.  It is usually only very, very big-membership clubs that can support a bartender in a locker room, and even then it is usually only on special occasions.  And there are the possible problems with broken glassware on tile, etc.

When you get down to it, most old clubs with bars in locker rooms end up utilizing the counter, and a stocked refirgerator, and that's it.  And what is the point of that?  Again, I like the idea of easy access to a bar from the locker room.  I've known of clubs with grill rooms that are accessible ONLY by going through the locker room.  I just am not convinced of the real, practical utility of a bar, for a bertender, in a locker room.  It seems as useful as a washroom attendant in the 21st Century.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »
Chuck,

That is why I am a fan of CCC and the window off the main bar in the grill, to the LR.  One bartender, but if you don't want to go into the dining area, you can order in from the LR.

RDecker

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 07:15:25 AM »
Gentlemen, thanks for the insights.

Simon Holt

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 07:27:08 AM »
Kyle- we didnt get chance to meet but I love the locker room at Champions.

On my recent trip to Texas, Champions was my favourite.

I also played at Isleworth in Jan which kinda goes too far in my opinion.  Half a bball court, indoor putting green, arcade machines, golf simulator.  Very cool but perhaps a bit OTT.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
Simon,

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Jack,

There are just some places that cameras should not go.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back