News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Northern Ireland golf
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:50:17 AM »
The mentioning of St Pats on another thread got me to thinking about a trip to the North of the Isle next summer...
My choice of courses would be
Portrush
Portstewart
Count Down and St Pats....what others should I clearly not miss?

Ron Csigo

Re: Northern Ireland golf
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:03:47 AM »
Michael,

If you're heading to Royal County Down, Ardglass is a nice course in the neighborhood that's worth playing.  Also, if you are flying into Dublin and heading north, Baltray (County Louth) is on the way to County Down.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:17:08 AM »
Michael

I don't think there is any golf being played at St. Patrick's. Ballyliffin is a quick trip from the Portstewart/Portrush area

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:36:40 AM »
Castlerock's a very good links course close to Portrush.  If you play the Dunluce at Portrush, try not to miss the second course there, the Valley course.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 11:44:51 AM »
Someone will probably tell you that St. Pats isn't in Northern Ireland... So it may as well be me...

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 03:43:01 AM »
Michael I did such a trip a couple of years ago.

Started Sunday with RCD
Monday Portsalon - understated but with some real funk, Lovely low key club and as good an opening course as you could wish for.
Tuesday Rossapenna.  The back 9 in the OTM course is definitely missable but this year the new nine should be open.  Ruddy/ Doak associate.   Not everyone like s the big course but I do.  Again a stunning location.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43141.0/   

Wednesday
Ballyliffen. I played the new course. It was OK with a few memorable hoes but if I ever go back I’ll try the old one.
Thursday AM
Castlerock. Agree with Bill one of those unheralded places where gold is great.   I think its Thursday mornings when they have an Open Comp – great fun to play with the members.  Also many of them told me some of the best holes in the region were on their 9 holer but I hadn’t time to investigate.

PM
Portstewart divides people but few would want to miss it.

Friday AM
Portrush Dunluce nothing needs to be said.

PM
Portrush Valley  They should change the name (you’ll probably use Rathmore GC to change your shoes) and help it get the recognition it deserves. I will be back for more of this.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40282.0/ 
(Actually I’m lying.  I set off with a few back problems and by the 16th on Castlerock I was walking wounded. I returned a year later to complete the trip.  Hopefully I’ve learned a little about scheduling from that.)

Enjoy and please share your experiences.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Martin Toal

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 06:22:53 AM »
Someone will probably tell you that St. Pats isn't in Northern Ireland... So it may as well be me...

But it is in Ulster, when used properly to describe the province, although often mistakenly assumed to be synonymous with NI..

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 07:56:25 AM »

But it is in Ulster, when used properly to describe the province, although often mistakenly assumed to be synonymous with NI..

And it is in the north of Ireland, whilst not being in Northern Ireland... They didn't know how much confusion they were going to cause when they dreamt all of this up in 1922....

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:16:54 AM »

And it is in the north of Ireland, whilst not being in Northern Ireland... They didn't know how much confusion they were going to cause when they dreamt all of this up in 1922....

... and Donegal has the most northerly point in Ireland, but Donegal's in the "South" ???

BTW St. Patrick's is defunct as far as I am aware of.

archie_struthers

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »
 ;D :D ;)

Loved Portrush it's fabulous .....Royal County Down has some of the best holes in the world , without a doubt ,  Portstewart has quirk and substance and fun caddies too......Caslterock is good , Malone is different , a Parkland course in Ireland

Thomas McQuillan

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 03:59:49 PM »
If your arriving at Dublin, my advice would be to play Portmarnock in the morning and either The Island or Co.Louth  in the evening on the first day.
If you don't play Co.Louth on the first day then play it and RCD or RCD and some other course on the second day.
Then play both Portrush courses the third day, and if you're staying for a fourth play both courses at Rossapena.

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »
michael
call me 609.909.2990 and i can give you my 2 cents

ian

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 07:18:40 PM »
I would also say not to miss RCD, it is great. Also recommend Portmarnock for an interesting routing and I was disappointed to not play Co. Louth - it is meant to be well worth a trip.

GCA mate also highly recommended Carne and Rosepenna
@theflatsticker

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 09:51:50 PM »

I would agree that Ardglass is a must.

Anthony

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 08:36:21 AM »
The other one is Ballyliffin - great recommendation
@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back