News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George_Bahto

Re: The Evangelist of Golf
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 05:31:22 PM »

Where's the Raynor?

shut up kennedy~~  hah

about Bandon:  Mr Keiser placed a large order not long ago - thanks

gb

p.s. and thank you too, Gib.
[/quote]
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Chuck Brown

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Buy this book.  If you are interested in Macdonald, you have to have this book.  If you are interested in his courses, you have to have this book.  And if you are interested in the U.S. courses that were influenced by Macdonald, which is basically every course in the U.S., you have to have this book.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »
George,
I could add to the kudos, but just let me say that your book is much better than that other Macdonald book, "Scotland's Gift". At least yours has an index.  ;D

Where's the Raynor?

p.s. and thank you too, Gib.

Actually, both Scotland's Gift and the Evangelist of Golf are essential elements of the golf architecture library.  It's great to go back and forth.

And isn't it a testimony to just what Ran has achieved that we can hob nob with successful authors like George Bahto and his editor, Gib Papazian, on this website?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 08:33:52 PM »
No question that George's book "The Evangelist of Golf" has made a huge impact on people interested in GCA and history of golf as we can see and hear from the testimonials written here.  We all owe George and Gib a big thank you for their efforts.

But, having had the great good fortune to meet both George and Gib, what strikes me most is they are passionately engaged with life and enormously curious people.  The dynamics that led to this highly well presented book, seems to be a reflection on their character and personalities and would likely shine through in any project they would take up.

But, if George wants to write a book in a different direction on a separate subject, I wish he'd write one on his secret to life and vitality (diet, lifestyle, emotional outlook on life, etc).  The man is like the Energizer Bunny, and keeps going and going.   ;D ;) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 08:34:17 PM »
One less copy is now available.

Looking forward to a great read!

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 10:39:51 PM »
Just ordered mine even though my wife will probably kill me for buying "another" golf book. I'll simply direct her to the reviews on this thread to prove it's not "another" golf book and to the price of Doak's McKenzie book and try and explain it was "an investment."

Looking forward to cracking it open when it arrives!  :)
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

George_Bahto

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 11:37:25 PM »

Ever decide on a title for the Seth Raynor edition?

still thinking but a while back someone suggested               

"The Dork From New York"
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mac Plumart

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 01:11:23 PM »
I just bought it through Jim Colton's site link.  Can't wait to read it!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 10:35:29 PM »

Today I received my copy of "The Evangelist" which I ordered as soon as I saw George's notice on this thread last week. After 30 minutes of flipping through it, I am eagerly figuring out when I can "squirrel away" and spend some hours with the book. It looks even better than you guys said and I believe everything said by John Mayhugh.

The book arrived today and I had it sitting on my desk. One of my partners in our law firm, who knows of my passion for this site and golf generally, came in and he noticed the book. After showing him a few items in the book such as a few pages on the Road Hole and how the replicas compare to the original, he mentioned that he finds it difficult to believe that there are enough people in the world who are really into golf architecture to justify a book like that, that this must be a true passion. I just find it wonderful that a group of some 1500 people on this site are able to get together and share info and topics they love through this site set up by Ran and Ben, make friendships with people of like mind all over the world, and also connect with others in their own locale to get together and golf.

I will pour over this book very, very soon, and realize now that those of you who know George are very lucky!

Bob J

JC Jones

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
just about ditto to everything in bob's post.  got mine today, very impressed.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 10:50:36 PM »
Mine arrived today as well.  Have spent about an hour poring through it and its great.

Glad to get one while still out there!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »
I believe everything said by John Mayhugh.

This might be one of the wisest things you've ever posted.   ;D

Glad to see more people discovering this book.  Hardly a week goes by without me at least glancing at it. 

TEPaul

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 11:15:43 PM »
"Glad to see more people discovering this book.  Hardly a week goes by without me at least glancing at it."

It's a very fine book and it does have some truly positive instructional and educational aspects to it. However, it would not be unusual for a year to go by if I didn't pull it off my bookshelf. On the other hand, for some years now not many days go by when I don't pull C.B. Macdonald's autobiography off the shelf and go over some part of it again!      

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:30:25 PM by TEPaul »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 11:23:48 PM »
"Glad to see more people discovering this book.  Hardly a week goes by without me at least glancing at it."

It's a very fine book and it does have some truly positive instructional and educational aspects to it. However, it would not be unusual for a year to go by if I didn't pull it off my bookshelf. On the other hand, for some years now not many days go by when I don't pull C.B. Macdonald's autobiography off the shelf and go over some part of it again!  ;)   

Judging from some of your posts, I figured you already knew the material better than the author.   ;D

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 11:29:51 PM »
I have read mine cover to cover several times.  Great stuff.

Gib and George should be proud.

TEPaul

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 11:41:34 PM »
"Judging from some of your posts, I figured you already knew the material better than the author.    ;D"

The emoticon smiley probably helped to some degree John Mayhugh but I just read through this entire thread and even though the book "The Evangelist of Golf" is a very fine one and it is unquestionably educational and explanatory for the hoi polloi on the strong side of golf course architectural afficionados, it's a light-weight compared to Macdonald's autobiography and the messages in it both obviously and between the lines for those dedicated enough and smart enough to figure it out. And the only one I believe I saw on this paean thread who may be capable or willing enough to figure this out, at this point, is Mac Plumart.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 11:44:36 PM »
My wife said "Nooooooooo, not another goddamn golf book!!!".  Poor woman.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2010, 02:51:26 AM »
George's obvious understanding for his subject and his enthusiasm for sharing it is readily apparent to anyone reading his book, anyone, that is, who isn't the most boorish and petty of people.

I know several authors and they all say that it's a wonderful feeling to see your work published, especially in your own lifetime.

Accomplishments like that sure beat pissing away your time just talking about, or just pissing.  ;D

Can't wait for book 2.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John Mayhugh

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »
The emoticon smiley probably helped to some degree John Mayhugh but I just read through this entire thread and even though the book "The Evangelist of Golf" is a very fine one and it is unquestionably educational and explanatory for the hoi polloi on the strong side of golf course architectural afficionados, it's a light-weight compared to Macdonald's autobiography and the messages in it both obviously and between the lines for those dedicated enough and smart enough to figure it out. And the only one I believe I saw on this paean thread who may be capable or willing enough to figure this out, at this point, is Mac Plumart.

I hope that:
Mike Cirba, Mat Hickey, Ben Sims, John Foley, Greg Holland, Jason Topp, Eric Smith, Josh Smith, Matthew Mollica, Bill McBride, Jeff Brauer, Jerry Kluger, Pat Craig, Neal Meagher, Mark Pritchett, Jason Jones, Jim Kennedy, Chuck Brown, Dick Daley, Mike Hamilton, Patrick Hogdon, Bob Jenkins, & Chip Gaskins appreciate your opinion just as much as I do.   ::)

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2010, 09:39:59 AM »
My copy was delivered last night. Glad I have it and can't wait to lend it to a friend.

TEPaul

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2010, 09:46:32 AM »
Oh Drat, did I forget to include someone again? I'm sorry; what would Charlie say?

Alan Wilson to Piper:
"Did Charlie try to take your head off?"

Piper to Wilson:
"No, he didn't try to take my head off but he did allow that everyone's an idiot."

;)

PThomas

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »

they just dont understand us architecture aficionados sometimes, do they Wayne?  i know the feeling...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Eric Smith

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2010, 10:32:05 AM »

they just dont understand us architecture aficionados sometimes, do they Wayne?  i know the feeling...

I used to have a big ole stack of them beside my bed where my then 3 year old would use as a step stool to climb on up!  My wife eventually tired of my heinousness and brought a book shelf in there for me.   

PThomas

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2010, 10:42:31 AM »

I used to have a big ole stack of them beside my bed where my then 3 year old would use as a step stool to climb on up!  My wife eventually tired of my heinousness and brought a book shelf in there for me.   

very smart, finding another use for you books...

... and who can argue with helping your own child!   very good ;).....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Eric Smith

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »

very smart, finding another use for you books...

... and who can argue with helping your own child!   very good ;).....

I'd give anything for her to still need it to climb up...they grow up way too fast don't they Paul?

I didn't even try to explain the brand new copy of Evangelist that arrived yesterday.  "You ordered a second copy because why...?" 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back