News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George_Bahto

The Evangelist of Golf
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:07:28 PM »

just a note about remaining copies.

I spoke with John Wiley and Sons last week and the stock on the book is down to just over 100 copies

A heartfelt thank you for those of you who bought the book.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mike Cirba

Re: The Evangelist of Golf
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »
George,

It was our pleasure.

Thank YOU.

hick

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:19:42 PM »
A must read. Get one while you can.

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:45:33 PM »
George,

I compare it to Golf Architecture in America in that it can describe plainly what seems so complicated to the casual architecture buff. More importantly, it is THE BOOK for getting my wife to understand what the hell I talk about all the time.  Thanks again.  

By the way, how's the Raynor book coming?

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 10:46:55 PM »
George,

Thank You for alll of your efforts.

As Ben said - Can not wait for the Raynor book.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Greg Holland

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 10:52:48 PM »
Mr. Bahto,

I loved the book -- thank you for all your hard work.  My recollection was that you planned additional volumes -- is that still the case, and if so, when can we expect the next edition.

Thanks,
Greg

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:59:08 PM »
George:

Your work in that book will long outlive all of us.  Thanks.

Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 11:10:22 PM »
George:

Yours is my favorite book of all and reading it in 2004 only made the dream seem more attainable.  Thanks for everything.

Eric

Josh Smith

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 11:17:52 PM »
George...

Love the book and how thourough it is.  Just visited NGLA for the second time this week and immediately started texting my friend to return my copy of The Evangelist that he had borrowed and taken to Oregon.
                Much curiosity here and cannot wait to delve into the book again to learn about CB and NGLA in particular.

Thank you.

Josh

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 06:46:23 AM »
Evangelist is probably my single favorite golf book.  I am eagerly waiting for the Raynor one.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 08:07:45 AM »
I strongly urge those who have not yet purchased a copy to do so.
If you don't - you'll be sorry.

Ask those who want a copy of Doak's MacKenzie bio, or Geoff S's The Captian.
Or The Confidential Guide.

Once those last 100 copies go - they're gone.
It is a great book, as others have said above.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 08:13:31 AM »
Evangelist is probably my single favorite golf book.  I am eagerly waiting for the Raynor one.

George, John expresses my sentiments precisely.  Your book is one that I have off the shelf frequently to relive the excitement of a round at NGLA.  It was great to meet you face to face in Scotland in 2007 walking the Renaissance course at Archerfield.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57:17 AM »
George,

I loved it. I hope you do companion pieces.

This sounds a bit weird, but whenever I pick up your book I think what a great country the USA is, both to have people and resources to allow such a product to hit the shelves for our personal satisfaction of learning something that to most would be pretty arcane.

I thought you gave just about the right amount of detail to the subject and that it is a great model for future architecture history books concerning one gca.  Not to mention the layout and graphics are superb.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:44:46 AM »
I think it is a must read before going out to Bandon to play Old Mac - it really gives you an understanding of the architecture.

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 10:51:30 AM »
It's a fantastic book. I wouldn't be shocked if Bandon orders a small reprint to stock the OM pro shop!

How is the Raynor book coming? That's the one book I can't wait to read!
H.P.S.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 12:11:10 PM »
This sounds a bit weird, but whenever I pick up your book I think what a great country the USA is, both to have people and resources to allow such a product to hit the shelves for our personal satisfaction of learning something that to most would be pretty arcane.

I don't think your sentiment sounds weird at all.  The story of the book is an example of an American dream.

The son of a Turkish immigrant helps build up a family dry cleaning business.  Takes up golf as a hobby.  Learns about CBM while researching for a Knoll Club history that he is working on.  Ends up expanding his research and publishing an incredible book on CBM.  Then a golf course designer himself.  And to keep this in some perspective, he didn't even start on the Knoll Club history til he was nearly 60!

Amazing story. 

I'm sure that Gib also deserves plenty of praise for helping put the book together.  Now if those guys would just come up with a reprint that has photos equal to the quality of the rest of the book.  I would pay a lot for one of those.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 12:32:34 PM »
John Mayhugh,

The best part of that unlikely story is that it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

George_Bahto

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »
 John, you said: "I'm sure that Gib also deserves plenty of praise for helping put the book together.  Now if those guys would just come up with a reprint that has photos equal to the quality of the rest of the book.  I would pay a lot for one of those."

* Gib made me a hero and he deserves mucho credit - especially for making my "blatherings" sensible - not only that, Gib, edited the text to make it sound like me, not him!!!!  Now that is a great writer

* John interesting thought on the quality of the photos in the book:

you know, this was my decision. I want MY photos in the book and MY drawings in the book, not photos by someone else (with all due respect - does that make sense? I wanted it to be my book wherever possible, so we used just a few photos by others, excluding the dated photos from the magazines.

Gee, this wasn’t supposed to be about me ( I hope you don't interpret it that way) but just to note there were just a few copies left.

We are talking with them about reprinting but from what I have heard from others, this is not a good time.

Guys, thanks for the praise - it was meant to be a “text-book” of sorts and to think it all started with the reticent one, Seth
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 02:00:15 PM »
I am glad that Gib P. is being given the praise that he deserves for his work on George's wonderful and thoroughly-researched book.  Being on the periphery of Gib's universe as he was completing his work on The Evangelist of Golf, I can attest to his hard work and long hours spent editing it.

I think we are all lucky to be able to "hear" Gib Papazian's "voice" here on golfclubatlas on occasion.  He is truly the most gifted non-famous golf writer of our time, and I honestly do feel that is the case.  Yes, sometimes his emotional attachment to this subject results in rantings of the first order, but mostly his opining is without peer and there is always something memorable in the way he describes the subject at hand.  His devotion to proper and authentic golf course design is palpable and infectious.

For The Evangelist of Golf, thank you George and thank you Gib.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
I enjoyed this thoughtful book immensely and recommend it to anyone with an interest in GCA!

Ever decide on a title for the Seth Raynor edition?

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »

just a note about remaining copies.

I spoke with John Wiley and Sons last week and the stock on the book is down to just over 100 copies

A heartfelt thank you for those of you who bought the book.

Anyone else go on Amazon last night and buy a spare copy? :)

Pat, you took the words right out of my mouth.  Old Mac would be wise to stock Evangelist in the shop. They probably are planning to do just that, I mean c'mon! The author helped design the golf course!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 02:46:39 PM »
* John interesting thought on the quality of the photos in the book:

you know, this was my decision. I want MY photos in the book and MY drawings in the book, not photos by someone else (with all due respect - does that make sense? I wanted it to be my book wherever possible, so we used just a few photos by others, excluding the dated photos from the magazines.

I understand the why.  I think that now, though, it's even easier with the state of digital photography.  So WHEN there is a reprint, hopefully it will include some update photos that you took.  If you need volunteers to help out with that part of the project, you'll find no shortage of them here.  I'm first in line!

Hope I don't come across as critical.  If all "textbooks" were as good as this one, I might never have left college.

JC Jones

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
I just ordered what is supposedly Amazon's last in stock copy.

I'm looking forward to it!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Foley

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »
I think we are all lucky to be able to "hear" Gib Papazian's "voice" here on golfclubatlas on occasion.  He is truly the most gifted non-famous golf writer of our time, and I honestly do feel that is the case.  Yes, sometimes his emotional attachment to this subject results in rantings of the first order, but mostly his opining is without peer and there is always something memorable in the way he describes the subject at hand.  His devotion to proper and authentic golf course design is palpable and infectious.

Neal

Great point!

Being able to "hear" Gib on GCA is certainly a trip.

Being able to spend time and witness it first hand, cool beyond belief!!

To only be that talented!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »
George,
I could add to the kudos, but just let me say that your book is much better than that other Macdonald book, "Scotland's Gift". At least yours has an index.  ;D

Where's the Raynor?

p.s. and thank you too, Gib.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back