News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

London Area Courses...Prestwick? FULL RECAP AND REVIEW
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:41:35 PM »
I am currently on spring break from my semester in London.  South of France? Greece? Italy?  Never.  Me? I choose a week to see some great golf courses around the Isles.  During my thread on Denham Golf Club and railway golf clubs, I discovered that Prestwick has a rail station nearly at the clubhouse.  We have a Scotland trip planned for May, but, alas, we will not have time to see the West Coast.  However, I figured I could pull off a trip to Prestwick over break.  

Being the golf nut that I am, I decided to do some research on the trip.  It turns out that there is a 5:39 out of Euston Station to Glasgow.  With one change, I will make it to Prestwick at 11:49.  Half an hour later, I have a starting time on the first tee at Prestwick Golf Club!  Spend a few hours there, catch the 17:19 back to Glasgow.  The Glasgow-Euston train gets in shortly before midnight.  Crazy? Probably.  But that does not mean I will not try it.

I have the tee time and tickets ready, and I am making my journey tomorrow.  Can it be done, Prestwick in a day from London?  We will have to find out, won't we.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:08:41 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Brent Hutto

Re: London Area Courses...Prestwick?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »
Sounds like an awful tight schedule that depends greatly on the railroad running on time and also somewhat on fairly fast play.

As an alternative a bit closer-in, there is a train station (Freshfield) at Formby Golf Club. The train also runs nearby but not exactly to the doorstep of Royal Birkdale and a couple other courses in that area. Formby is an outstanding course. Formby will also book you into their Dormy House, perhaps you can squeeze an overnight change of clothes into your golf bag.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 02:49:33 PM »
JNC,

if your almost late for your tee time you could always tee off from the platform at Prestwick and pay the GF at the end ;) Have a good days golf.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
I have the tee time and tickets ready, and I am making my journey tomorrow.  Can it be done, Prestwick in a day from London?  We will have to find out, won't we. 

Would be interested to hear the costings of that trip ? v a train trip to other greater London courses ?

Jason McNamara

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:38:07 PM »
A bit late to suggest it, but if you'd taken the Caledonian Sleeper you could have played 36.  :-)

Jason

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 02:58:47 AM »
One of the budget airlines, RyanAir got themselves in a spot of bother a few years ago when one of their adverts in Scandanavia offered discount flights to London (Prestwick). 

A full report please John.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 03:09:12 AM »
I am currently on spring break from my semester in London.  South of France? Greece? Italy?  Never.  Me? I choose a week to see some great golf courses around the Isles.  During my thread on Denham Golf Club and railway golf clubs, I discovered that Prestwick has a rail station nearly at the clubhouse.  We have a Scotland trip planned for May, but, alas, we will not have time to see the West Coast.  However, I figured I could pull off a trip to Prestwick over break. 

Being the golf nut that I am, I decided to do some research on the trip.  It turns out that there is a 5:39 out of Euston Station to Glasgow.  With one change, I will make it to Prestwick at 11:49.  Half an hour later, I have a starting time on the first tee at Prestwick Golf Club!  Spend a few hours there, catch the 17:19 back to Glasgow.  The Glasgow-Euston train gets in shortly before midnight.  Crazy? Probably.  But that does not mean I will not try it.

I have the tee time and tickets ready, and I am making my journey tomorrow.  Can it be done, Prestwick in a day from London?  We will have to find out, won't we. 

Johnny

Its crazy shit yer talkin, but what have you got to lose?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Paul Nash

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 04:16:09 AM »
good luck John - crazy schedule but one to remember!

Martin Toal

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 04:34:01 AM »
A plan built on the reliability and punctuality of British trains. Good luck!!

The Formby idea (Brent Hutto, above) is a good one - shorter journey and an overnight stay for a beverage or two.

Mark Alexander

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 06:14:14 AM »
As this pic shows, there is an airport nearby. Perhaps flying could have been quicker?
Whatever, have a great day.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 06:35:18 AM »
Booking yesterday flying would be quicker BUT £100 for a return £30ew for clubs and travel to and from airport make it a non-starter.

Fair shout on John's part but there are some very good courses countrywide within a £5 cab ride of a station, however he is getting a game and getting to see some of the UK.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »
Seems the trains held up their end of the bargain and there can't be too much traffic on the course, either.

John reports he is on #16 already and is deeply in love with #1!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
Dear Sir,

I am outraged to hear a report which clearly implies Mr Lyon is using some form of mobile telephony apparatus to communicate with Mr Warren on the course at Prestwick.  Do these colonials have no respect for the traditions that made this once great nation proud?

Yours,

Fotheringham-Smyth, Air Vice-Commodore (retd.)
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 11:22:18 AM »
Agreed deport the lot of them.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Woodger

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »
Dear Sir,

I am outraged to hear a report which clearly implies Mr Lyon is using some form of mobile telephony apparatus to communicate with Mr Warren on the course at Prestwick.  Do these colonials have no respect for the traditions that made this once great nation proud?

Yours,

You could argue that providing an update on the status of the trip was an emergency and is therefore not in breach of the mobile phone policy  :)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 02:18:31 PM »
Seems the trains held up their end of the bargain and there can't be too much traffic on the course, either.

John reports he is on #16 already and is deeply in love with #1!

Scott,

Did John send a text message or made a phone call from Willie Campbells grave hidden away from Mr Fotheringham-Smyth??

Cheers
Ben

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 03:19:37 PM »
Dear Sir,

Yours,

You could argue that providing an update on the status of the trip was an emergency and is therefore not in breach of the mobile phone policy  :)

You might find they don't have a policy on such new fangled apparatus but they will probably have Jon deported anyway if he gets caught.

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »
they will probably have Jon deported anyway if he gets caught.

Having an airport handy would help expedite the process, I imagine ;D

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 04:37:13 PM »
I'm guessing Elvis was never a golfer. Only time he ever visited GB&I was a three hour layover at Preswick on his way to do his national service in Germany.

Perhaps it was dark?

Flying in gives a great view of the courses and coast.
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 05:28:56 PM »
Dear Sir,

Yours,

You people are too uptight.   ;)

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »
Uptight and proper go hand-in-hand! ;D

James Boon

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 05:34:40 PM »
Dear Sir,

Yours,

;D

Nice one Mark, er I mean, Fotheringham-Smyth...
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 05:41:56 PM »
JNC,

Look forward to you reporting back on this trip. Both the golf and the travel!

Reminds me of when I was on a break from University and my mum and dad where staying in their caravan up on the site next to Brora. With nothing else to do I walked to Leicester station complete with clubs (about 45 mins walk) got a train from Leicester all the way up to Brora (I think I needed to change 3 times), so that over the next 2 days I was there I could play Dornoch and Brora before getting a lift back home with the folks. At the time I was obesessed with hitting balls before I played and lugged my practice bag with me all that way as well!  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 07:20:22 PM »
JNC,
How was the kummel?
Did you use Gate 9 and 1/2?

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »
JNC,
How was the kummel?
Did you use Gate 9 and 1/2?

Do you mean Platform Nine and Three-Quarters?

The Intrepid Traveller says he will give a rundown once he is back home.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back