News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

How can you have 24 hours of television a day, 365 days a year relating to golf and not have at least one show a month relating to golf course archtiecture. Its hard to not imagine that with a little thought, something could be put together a little more interesting than watching John Daly (the Daly Planet) stuffing his face, while travelinng around the US and embarassing himself and the general golf population! On a more positive note...the recent, being John Daly is tolerable!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:06:15 PM by Randy Thompson »

Garland Bayley

The have playing lessons with the pros, where the pro is playing a round. Why can't they have playing lessons with the pro and the architect where the architecture and shot choices are discussed?

Or, architecture lessons with the architect and a celebrity hack, where the discussion is about taking the route offered to the better player or taking the route offered to the average player.

EDIT: Randy, Know any celebrities golf channel might want to put in a program. Add some apples and oranges. Pitch the second idea to Golf Channel
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:15:54 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Liddy

A television station that promotes John Daly and Charles Barkley is not the best example for entertainment that requires some enlightenment.

Matthew Runde

I remember seeing a segment like that, but it was a long time ago, and on another channel.  Mickelson analyzed a hole - I think it was on a course in Spain - where the green was severely canted from right to left.  His breakdown of the hole was fascinating and enlightening.  Did anybody else see that or know which tournament it was?

Michael Moore

The have playing lessons with the pros, where the pro is playing a round. Why can't they have playing lessons with the pro and the architect where the architecture and shot choices are discussed?

Why does the architect have to be involved? Playing Lessons with the Pros is already a great show about golf course architecture. A player who can  pull off any shot he cares to looks at the camera, tells you what he sees in front of him, tells you how the lie, the wind, and the nature of the target are affecting his choice of club and swing, and then he rips one down the fairway.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:01:05 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Anthony Butler

If you watch Playing Lessons with the Pros, the more insightful players do include a lot of strategic thoughts in their commentary on how they play various holes.

Not that I live in that world, but there doesn't appear to be enough swearing, nudity, drinking, questionable hookups or any other sort of behavior lapses needed for a reality show about golf architecture. I sit on a building committee in Concord, MA and I'm fairly sure it would be impossible to create compelling content out of a permitting meeting–unless it devolves into fistfight.

The closest the Golf Channel has to a show showing the process of building a course is the half-hour specials they've made about Jack Nicklaus flying to various points in Asia to check up on his projects. That's more of a "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" that includes a little walking around in muddy boots with blueprints.

Is it possible that someone unknown to the public could capture their imagination? If one thinks about the type of people American eyes generally gravitate to–probably not. Although in his defense Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino from Jersey Shore probably knows something about Fast & Firm.

I'm scratching my head thinking about the logistics of making a Project Runway-type show about gold architecture. Not seeing it right now.

Next!

Tim Nugent

HGTV meets The Golf Channel.  Whoever thought Ice Road Truckers would make it to a second season?
Coasting is a downhill process

John Moore II

Who would watch this show on the Golf Channel? The 1500 of us on this site? Not even that. Hardly any designers, other than Jack, Arnold, Rees Jones and maybe Tom Fazio, are house names, so who'd want to see some guy walking around the course talking about the strategic merits of a hole? The only way it could possibly work is to integrate an analysis into that playing lessons, but even then it wouldn't catch on much, I don't think.

Fact of the matter is, the majority of people just play golf to have fun. They could care less what design features or strategic interest a course has as long as its fun to play, cheap and quick to play.

jeffwarne

HGTV meets The Golf Channel.  Whoever thought Ice Road Truckers would make it to a second season?

Absolutely,it wouldn't need to be a celebrity architect either.
That garbage they pass off as reality TV (Big Break, Being JD,the Haney project) is watched by an audience OBVIOUSLY starved for content.
I would think profiling an interesting venue (Merion TOC), going over a renovation project, laying out the strategies involved in building AND playing could easily fill an hour long (42 minutes) monthly show.
And people would watch-golfers are a sophisticated audience-they don't need a steady Barkley/Daly diet

John,
Did anyone think we would watch Ice Road Truckers or other HGTV shows?
My son is glued to the History channel

Perhaps the audience of 1500 would grow with some intelligent programming-
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Nugent

John, it could work but I think there would have to be Doing, not just Talking.   It amazes me how many members come out and just sit there and watch course construction work - I even had a guy who would come out to the club on his lunch hour just to SEE what was happening and was fasinated by the process.  So, if you coupled the philosophy with construction with some side trips to see other examples of finished work, it would probably work - We could call it "THIS OLD COURSE".  Naturally, the construction guys would have to wear Flannel shirts.
Coasting is a downhill process

John Moore II

John, it could work but I think there would have to be Doing, not just Talking.   It amazes me how many members come out and just sit there and watch course construction work - I even had a guy who would come out to the club on his lunch hour just to SEE what was happening and was fasinated by the process.  So, if you coupled the philosophy with construction with some side trips to see other examples of finished work, it would probably work - We could call it "THIS OLD COURSE".  Naturally, the construction guys would have to wear Flannel shirts.

Yeah, maybe that would work. But they'd just screw it up, like most other things. Like this top 10 list on right now. How exactly is the ReMax World Long Drive champion ranked 7th in the list of the top 10 "Big Bombers?" Behind Tiger (would this guy would out drive by 100 yards), JB, Laura Davies!!!!!!, and of course John Daly and Bubba? They just screw everything up.

Charlie Goerges

I think you're right JKM that The Golf Channel would probably screw it up. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be done tastefully and successfully. We had a thread about this very subject about a year and a half ago. I think the consensus was that whatever it was, it needed a good story.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Mike_Young

I know that Rymer has suggested such but the fact is there is no interest.....golfers really don;t care and fact 2 is that 99 percent of them associate maintenance level with "good course" over design....just no audience for such....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Harvey Dickens

"Who would watch it" I ask this same question about every show that is currently on tv.

Mac Plumart

Harvey...that was funny!!   :)

The bottom line is I hope The Golf Channel does something.  John Daly and Hank Haney on seemingly endless loops.  Infomercials all morning/afternoon long during the week.  And what seems like nothing but PGA coverage all the time.  UGH!! I think a more apt name would be the PGA Channel.

Why not take mornings/Mon-Wed nights and put some shows specifically on golf courses and their nuances and history and history of changes/updates?  The thing about it is that it really could be an infomercial, but people simply wouldn't realize it.  Do a morning/afternoon show on Pinehurst...with all the history, golf courses, nuances of #2 etc...you could EASILY get an hour out of it...hell 5 different shows that are an hour long.  People would love it...archies would love the course discussion, PGA lovers would love the major championship stuff, and history buffs would love it as well.  But wouldn't this inspire golfer to get off their butt and go to Pinehurst?  I think just as much as the Skycaddy commercials inspire people to buy those devices.  Now, apply the same principle to Kiawah, Bandon, GB&I courses, etc.  I could be HUGE.  The greatest shows in Golf Channel history.  (Imagine Donald Trump saying the last two sentences).

Now once you get some eyeballs on these shows and revenue starts being generated for The Golf Channel and the courses themselves, throw in a Pine Valley, Augusta, Shinnecock, and a few other high profile privates.  Heck, I'd bet the mid-tier Top 100 privates might even go for it to up their esteem level in the eyes of potential members.

Hell, as I type this I am thinking of starting a new networtk to compete with The Golf Channel!!!  I know it would work!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tim Martin

Harvey...that was funny!!   :)

The bottom line is I hope The Golf Channel does something.  John Daly and Hank Haney on seemingly endless loops.  Infomercials all morning/afternoon long during the week.  And what seems like nothing but PGA coverage all the time.  UGH!! I think a more apt name would be the PGA Channel.

Why not take mornings/Mon-Wed nights and put some shows specifically on golf courses and their nuances and history and history of changes/updates?  The thing about it is that it really could be an infomercial, but people simply wouldn't realize it.  Do a morning/afternoon show on Pinehurst...with all the history, golf courses, nuances of #2 etc...you could EASILY get an hour out of it...hell 5 different shows that are an hour long.  People would love it...archies would love the course discussion, PGA lovers would love the major championship stuff, and history buffs would love it as well.  But wouldn't this inspire golfer to get off their butt and go to Pinehurst?  I think just as much as the Skycaddy commercials inspire people to buy those devices.  Now, apply the same principle to Kiawah, Bandon, GB&I courses, etc.  I could be HUGE.  The greatest shows in Golf Channel history.  (Imagine Donald Trump saying the last two sentences).

Now once you get some eyeballs on these shows and revenue starts being generated for The Golf Channel and the courses themselves, throw in a Pine Valley, Augusta, Shinnecock, and a few other high profile privates.  Heck, I'd bet the mid-tier Top 100 privates might even go for it to up their esteem level in the eyes of potential members.

Hell, as I type this I am thinking of starting a new networtk to compete with The Golf Channel!!!  I know it would work!!

I think this is a great idea for resort and destination golf(Bandon, PH#2). I don`t know how many of the top 100 privates would have any interest in allowing access to the Golf Channel and especially not PV,ANGC or Shinnecock. The 1962 Shell`s match at Pine Valley was so interesting not only because of the quality of the holes but the mystique of the club itself and that  it had actually allowed access for such an exhibition. Additionally I don`t think many of these clubs are worried about upping their reputations. Just sayin.

Randy Thompson

Garland,,that was a great idea but not oranges and apples as discussed on another thread...were into potatoes now!
Micheal...... your quote...Playing Lessons with the Pros is already a great show about golf course architecture. A player who can  pull off any shot he cares to looks at the camera, tells you what he sees in front of him, tells you how the lie, the wind, and the nature of the target are affecting his choice of club and swing, and then he rips one down the fairway. ummm so this how you define golf course architecture???
To all,
Low priced, fun golf is part of golf course archtiecture. I have seen some work on the channel of Nicklaus and Ernie Els but they are PR self promoting. It would be interesting to take a native virgin piece of land and it would be interestinng to try to capture what the architect see´s and then watch it be devloped and turned into a reality. It does not have to be a ten million dollar project. Magazines related to golf are devotinng more and more space to golf course architecture, so somebody is finding it interesting besides the 1500 here, so it seems to me if some actual thinking were delgated to the subject, a decent show could be done instead of a lot of the no brainers we are left to watch or not watch.

Mac Plumart

Randy...I couldn't agree more.  I was only have joking in my post.  Your idea has legs.  I am not kidding at all!

Carl Johnson

And some other things.  Why not a series about games we play?  Why not an ongoing series on the history, spirit and traditions of the game?  Why not a series about the rules of the game?  Why not a series on how to play golf for fun?  Several years ago I wrote a letter (paper, U.S. mail) to the Golf Channel suggesting this sort of programing.  Receipt wasn't even acknowledged.  They are different from us.

Michael Huber

I'd like to see a new Shell's Wonderful World of Golf....specifically at one of the Bandon Courses, Sand Hills, and any of these new courses that we dont get to see on television. 

I'd also like to see another new series...playing lessons with the joes.  Film a guy at his local course and have him tlak about how he works his way around the course and explaining how he wants to break 80 or 90 or whatever. 

Mac Plumart

Again...I am 100% serious on this...and I know if done right, it would work.

Take one or two of these ideas, get somebody with the passion to do it, and film a few of these episodes.  Now, do it right...high quality, well thought out, well produced, etc.  Man...get a Kiawah or Pinehurst to let you do one of their property...BINGO...instant credibility.  Land an architect on this site to add even more credibility.  Oh man!

And then market them.  You can start with The Golf Channel...but they might gaff you off, like Carl said.  But here is the kicker...you know how ESPN has the BassMaster Classic on tv?  The hunting shows on Sunday morning?  Racing every know and then?  Well, get ESPN to "buy in" to showing them, say, every Sunday morning at 7:00 am (or whatever) and BOOM...you've got the leverage.  The Golf Channel will listen.

Now it will take passion, persitence, and endurance...but it could work and work big.  Think "The Blair Witch Project" only on a golf course.   :)

Michael Huber

Think "The Blair Witch Project" only on a golf course.   :)

Maybe we could get someone go to sandpines or trump LA to get the "I'm so scared!" scene from blair witch.

Jaeger Kovich

I have had an idea for golf architecture on tv for a while now. I've considered proposing it as a mini-series type deal modeled after one of my favorite documentary mini-series by Ken Burns: Baseball. Personally I think the way to do it is to chronicle the history of the game through its courses, focusing on a few of the games top designers. Obviously it starts at St. Andrews and Old Tom. Then development of golf in America with TCC in boston, Van Courtland in NY and of course the national style with CB MacDonald and Raynor. Another episode would be the birth of the great american resort/donald ross in pinehurst... The Philly guys, Auguasta/MacKenzie, Pete Dye, and the jet setting tour pro designer staring Jack N, etc.

I dont really think the golf channel or espn is the proper forum for this type of program though. I'm thinking more on the lines of a PBS, HBO kinda thing.

Garland Bayley

Why does the architect have to be involved? Playing Lessons with the Pros is already a great show about golf course architecture. A player who can  pull off any shot he cares to looks at the camera, tells you what he sees in front of him, tells you how the lie, the wind, and the nature of the target are affecting his choice of club and swing, and then he rips one down the fairway.

Yep, the pro is great on giving you a weather report, but I'm not sure that is architecture. They are often on a ho hum course, perhaps built by a PGA tour "architect". That's why you need an architect that knows something other than construction and pretty, and can go to a course that has something other than fairway bunkers left and right, green side bunkers left and right.

This website constantly talks about how players are not well versed in architecture, and yet you suggest they're to ones to explain architecture to the masses?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Randy Thompson

Even if they did something related to Jones juniors book..golf by design should be better than fifty percent of the fill ins they now have. My personal favorite would be to play Jack Nicklaus or another pro´s who say, in order to be a great architect you have to be a great golfer. I would like to play one heads up but I get to hit two shots or have the option of a mulligan every shot. I am not a great golfer but to me golf after a certain development point, golf is directly related to the time one has to invest. I have limited time or prefer to devote my time to other things..but I can make some good shots and with this formula, shoot close to par or better. It would be fun and if I was right they would have to rethink a new marketing campaign to promote themselves against the dying non professional golfing architect. Thats all I have to say for now...I will try to be quiet and read post without getting on my soap box for another sixty days....maybe!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back