News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

West Hill Golf Club
« on: March 12, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
My journey around the great English courses continued today at West Hill.  This heathland layout does not get as much attention as neighboring Woking or the other big guns around London.  Yet I was pleasantly surprised at how good the course is.

Like many of the courses I have seen in England, West Hill gets off to a slow start.  The first two holes are fine starters, but they are both midrange par fours of no great merit.  The 3rd is a great long par four.  The player drives over a berm off the tee, and then faces a wonderful long approach over a small stream to green that rolls gently from right to left.  It would be a thrill to hit a bouncing three-wood or long iron into this green during the summer months.  The green, like many at West Hill, is completely lay-of-the-land.  Yet the 4th and 5th revert to the mundane nature of the first two.  By the time I reached the 6th tee, I was not yet thrilled with the course.

The course really picks up as the player climbs over the rise in the 6th fairway.  The second shot here begins a run of great shots that does not stop until the 14th tee.  The 7th, 9th and 13th are all great par threes, each one better than the next.  The 8th and 10th feature grand bunkering.  The 11th and 12th are two quirky par fours.  I loved the blind second at the 11th and the wild two-tiered green at the drivable 12th.

The 14th Hole was not exciting as those that came before, although it is a good par in its own right.  However, the golf picks back up again at the 15th.  This is many favorite long par three of the trip.  It plays across a gentle, heather-laden valley, which the architects, Cuthbert Butchart and Willie Park, used beautifully.  A string of diagonal bunkers are cut beautifully into the hillside short of the green, and set up for a left-to-right shot off the tee.  The green itself is filled with humps and bumps and is the most wild on the course.  A golfer will work hard for a three here.

The great golf continues at the 16th.  After a downhill tee shot that stays short of a stream, the golfer faces another beautifully approach.  Again, he faces a string of diagonal bunkers that set up for a fade, with another wild green at hole's end.  This hole is featured, I believe, in  Wethered and Simpson's "The Architectural Side of Golf."  As I recall, the hole today appears just as it did in the book's drawing almost a century ago.

The course slips a bit at the 17th, which is another good but not great par five.  Why do the great courses here fall short in terms of par five quality?  The great courses stateside feature much great interest on the three-shotters.  Nevertheless, West Hill finishes strong with an uphill 440-yarder.  The golfer must endeavor to place his tee shot near the troublesome left side.  This location will give him a view and proper angle into the home green.  The green itself is another wild one that sets directly in front of the clubhouse.  A fitting end, and my favorite finisher of the trip.

West Hill is a superb layout.  I sense that it is a notch below Huntercombe or Swinley Forest of the heathland courses I have seen.  However, a notch below in this case is still phenomenal.

What are thoughts here on West Hill?  Does anybody have any good information on Cuthbert Butchart or the evolution of West Hill?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tony_Muldoon

Re: West Hill Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 06:10:13 PM »
Nice report John another course that gets little notice on here, can’t recall any photos. 

Cuthbert  Strachan Butchart.  1876-1955.
A native of Carnoustie, he was a professional at RCD and Berlin where in 1913 he won the German PGA Championship. His prise was to be interred in Germany for 2 years.  He later took up posts in the USA.  I think his story would be fascinating to study.
There’s a picture of him on page 36
http://www.britgolfcollectors.wyenet.co.uk/TTG%20Scanned%20to%20Dec%202008/81%202007June.pdf

Designs inc. RCD (additions), Berlin, Highgate and several in Ireland and Florida.  I think he’s best known for West Hill but I would be very surprised if the course wasn’t touched up in the twenties by one of its secretaries WA Murray.

There’s a curious story right at the end of Colt’s Obituary by Sir Anthony Babington.  Paraphrasing, He relates playing a round at West Hill with (presumably a member) Mr Harris of Franks Harris. The barman says he’s heard of him and he’s heard that he’s the only man allowed to interrupt the Boss. Sir Anthony asks who’s the boss? "Colt", came the reply.  Why would Colt – who lived 35 miles away, be known as “the boss” there? 

I much prefer the feel of the course over the manicured Worplesdon.  How did it paly given that it was shut for a no of weeks due to the weather this winter?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:14:30 PM »
West Hill is by far the busiest of the heaths with an extremely active golfing membership. Unlike Tony I'd take Worplesdon everytime especially now they've cleared away thousands of trees and opened up the views.
Cave Nil Vino

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 06:21:42 PM »
The course played very well.  There was one temporary and a few sanded greens.  It was clear that the winter had done some damage.  Nevertheless, the condition was decent overall.  The unsanded greens were good but not great.  The firms were running well, and the turf was very good.  No objections, but then again, anything beats the snow in Upstate NY.

The architectural history seems to be very odd.  Unusual for me, I did not know the designer going into my round.  I assumed it was either Colt or Simpson.  I figured on Simpson because he mentions West Hill in his book.  Yet I think Cuthbert Butchart had serious involvement.  They mentioned his name when I asked in the pro shop.  They seemed to think there was another name architect involved, but they did not know right away who it was.  I believe the club has a book about its design history, though I did not look at it when I was there.

I was thinking a little more about the bunkering at West Hill.  It is really great!  I loved the style, which is slightly manufactured but still pleasing to the eye.  I was looking through some photos of Doak's CommonGround.  His bunker style at the Denver course reminded me of West Hill.  Just an observation.

An aside on Woking: we rode by the course on the train ride in, and it appears that the club recently redid the bunkers in the middle of the 4th fairway.  They looked much different than they do in Ran's profile.  Ran calls these bunkers some of the most important in history.  Why would the club want to change their appearance?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »
West Hill is by far the busiest of the heaths with an extremely active golfing membership. Unlike Tony I'd take Worplesdon everytime especially now they've cleared away thousands of trees and opened up the views.

It was busy there today, although I still managed to play in under three hours.  As for the tree situation, I did not think it was a problem.  The only hole where the trees encroach is number 14.  It is unavoidable because the trees overhang from a private property.

What makes Worplesdon better in your mind?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:55:50 AM »
Thanks for your review of West Hill. I very much used to enjoy playing there. I prefer it to Worplesdon because you don't have that dreadful road crossing to make twice. It is a busy club but the pace of play is good.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 10:46:40 AM »

An aside on Woking: we rode by the course on the train ride in, and it appears that the club recently redid the bunkers in the middle of the 4th fairway.  They looked much different than they do in Ran's profile.  Ran calls these bunkers some of the most important in history.  Why would the club want to change their appearance?

Martin Ebert has been part of a 5 year plan at Woking to regenerate heather (including around the bunker faces), clear scrub and other such good work... last time I was there, these bunkers in the 4th fairway had not been touched but they must have been since... It is their placement rather than their appearance that make them important... And they may well have been altered in style on previous occasions (I don't know)...

West Hill is my 3rd favourite of 3... but they all give you something different... And there are a couple of standout holes at West Hill...

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:28:49 AM »
Ally -

Interesting about the famous 4th at Woking. As you note, they are in the process of "restoring" bunkers there. The work has been underway for a couple of years. Much of it seems to involve putting heather in the brow of bunkers and cleaning up their borders. Not unlike the new look of the bunkers at Sunny.

When I was there last spring they had not gotten to the c/l bunker on the 4th. But the ones they had finished are very impressive.

But based on the few old photos I've seen of Woking, I'm not sure the bunker changes should be called "restorations".

Bob

Emil Weber

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:34 AM »
Pics anyone?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 12:53:36 PM »
Pics anyone?

Alas, I did not bring a camera.  Check out the drawing of West Hill's 16th in the Architectural Side of Golf.  As I mention above, it looks nearly identical today.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back