News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Re: JADED?
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »

I will play anywhere with buddies, the company always trumps the golf.

Exactly.

I've never understood people who say differently.If the company is good,the golf course doesn't matter at all.

Horse Hockey.

Anthony

Maybe you need to get some better friends then!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Anthony Gray

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »

Exactly.

I've never understood people who say differently.If the company is good,the golf course doesn't matter at all.

Horse Hockey.

Anthony

John,

Like these guys?

Anthony

TEPaul

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »
"That stinks having to pay for three caddies."

That brings to mind a fairly interesting point about the old days of golf (including the first third of this century over here) I never realized before and that is it seems extremely rare that a caddy ever carried double----it seems like caddies were just about exclusively singles. Interesting; I wonder why?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 05:41:57 PM »
Those hushpuppies were damn good!!!!

And don't I look damn serious!!!

:)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JMEvensky

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2010, 05:50:20 PM »

That brings to mind a fairly interesting point about the old days of golf (including the first third of this century over here) I never realized before and that is it seems extremely rare that a caddy ever carried double----it seems like caddies were just about exclusively singles. Interesting; I wonder why?

My guess is cost.The double-loop might just have been a reaction to ever-rising caddie fees.Further,I imagine carts must figure in the equation somewhere.

Maybe the "compromise" was for clubs to keep fewer caddies and insist on double-loops.

The next question would be have double-loops helped make carts more prevalent?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »

Exactly.

Horse Hockey.

Anthony

John,

On second thought you might be correct.

Anthony

JNC Lyon

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »

My guess is cost.The double-loop might just have been a reaction to ever-rising caddie fees.Further,I imagine carts must figure in the equation somewhere.

Maybe the "compromise" was for clubs to keep fewer caddies and insist on double-loops.

The next question would be have double-loops helped make carts more prevalent?

From my experience, one double caddy costs more than the price of two single caddies.  I doubt this is a reason.  I would guess double caddies came about due to a lack of caddies.  However, at the Country Club of Rochester, we have too many caddies.  The pro and the caddiemaster encourage members to take single caddies so that all kids can get a loop.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

TEPaul

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2010, 07:18:05 PM »
"The next question would be have double-loops helped make carts more prevalent?"

I believe I might suspect that double bag caddies made carts less prevalent than they might have been if for some reason golf kept on with single bag caddies.

Has anyone ever seen a double bag caddie carry both bags on one shoulder for an entire loop? There were a few of those around here. If they're going to do that one wonders if they ever tried to do a four bag loop with two bags on both shoulders.  ;)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »
Sean - "palaver" You never cease to amaze me!  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
There's something magical about every golf course:  bread and butter is satisfying if nothing else.

Bogey

I agree. The inherant charms of golf always prevails. But lets take the KP for those of us in the south. More would travel for the greater venues.

Anthony

For me, that's simply an allocation of scarce resources (time and money) issue.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JMEvensky

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2010, 09:32:28 AM »

Has anyone ever seen a double bag caddie carry both bags on one shoulder for an entire loop? There were a few of those around here. If they're going to do that one wonders if they ever tried to do a four bag loop with two bags on both shoulders.  ;)

Yes,and I bet I win this one.

Maybe 15 years ago at SFGC.All 4 of us were traveling with staff-size bags,knowing that the clubs we'd visit all had carry bags that the caddies could use.When we told the caddie to swap out our clubs,he said it didn't matter,he'd just as soon carry the big bags.

He then proceeded to carry both staff-size bags on one shoulder the entire round.Somewhere,I still have a picture.

Not surprisingly,they called this guy Lurch.

George Pazin

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
  I feel the same about my home course. But when selecting a course to travel to our standards are greater. And with time and experience of some of the best, the bar gets raised. Doesn't it?

Anthony

Let me put it this way: hopefully I'll get out to visit my friends by the Bay someday. I also hope to find time to join Huck for a round at Santa Teresa, if only to hear the stories of his triumphant victory.

:)

I can understand people who have everything at their disposal wanting to maximize their return, but I don't think that means one should overlook the simpler pleasures in life.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Greg Tallman

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2010, 02:34:09 PM »
Yes and No. One's own expectations pretty much sets the tone.

I have had one of best times ever on a golf course that was hadns down the absolute worst thing I have ever seen. Just went on a whim to play in Grenada about 12 years ago, knew the course would be suspect at best and once we arrived we quickly understood that susect was being kind... so we grab a few beers, a caddy and head off. Get to the opening green (par 3) and find the greens rolling about a 1 with your foot shifting a few inches with the grain when stepping. I could go on about how hilarious this lace was... but we had a good time PLAYING golf.

On the opposite end of the spectrum was my first round at Mid Ocean on Bermuda. Sky high expectations and yes underwhelmed. No saying it was not a good golf course but just did not feel I was playing one of the world's best and thus felt and little let down.

Now even on my own scale of 1-10 the Grenada course rates a zero and Mid Ocean maybe an 8 but more fun was had in Grenada.

What does it all mean? Sometimes just close the critical eye and enjoy life! Hmmmm was this about golf?

Eric Smith

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »

I have had one of best times ever on a golf course that was hadns down the absolute worst thing I have ever seen. Just went on a whim to play in Grenada about 12 years ago, knew the course would be suspect at best and once we arrived we quickly understood that susect was being kind... so we grab a few beers, a caddy and head off. Get to the opening green (par 3) and find the greens rolling about a 1 with your foot shifting a few inches with the grain when stepping. I could go on about how hilarious this lace was... but we had a good time PLAYING golf.

On the opposite end of the spectrum was my first round at Mid Ocean on Bermuda. Sky high expectations and yes underwhelmed. No saying it was not a good golf course but just did not feel I was playing one of the world's best and thus felt and little let down.

Now even on my own scale of 1-10 the Grenada course rates a zero and Mid Ocean maybe an 8 but more fun was had in Grenada.

What does it all mean? Sometimes just close the critical eye and enjoy life! Hmmmm was this about golf?

Great post Greg.  Some places are just more fun than others.

I know Becker will back me up on this: similar to your experience above, the Playa Grande GC down on the Dominican north coast is as good as it gets, to me.  Just add friends + cold beer (but please be sure it is Presidente!). 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »

OK...it is obvious that the jaded ones will not admit it. I agree that golf is enjoyable with good friends and because it is the gtreatest game. All that is understood and obvious to anyone that has a passion for golf. Who's signed up for this years Dixie Cup? I want to make sure they will enjoy my company. Anybody need a caddy?

Tony Jaded

Greg Tallman

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2010, 04:16:40 PM »

Great post Greg.  Some places are just more fun than others.

I know Becker will back me up on this: similar to your experience above, the Playa Grande GC down on the Dominican north coast is as good as it gets, to me.  Just add friends + cold beer (but please be sure it is Presidente!). 

Eric, I think you misunderstand if comparing Playa Grande in the DR with the course I played in Grenada. Playa Grande is Pac Dunes, Pine Valley and Shinnecock rolled into one compared to the track we encountered on Grenada yet I remember pretty much every moment of that round.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »
Playa Grande = Pac Dunes, Shinnecock, and Pine Valley rolled into one!!!! 

Greg,

That's one of the best and most accurate comparsions I've ever heard!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Greg Tallman

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
Playa Grande = Pac Dunes, Shinnecock, and Pine Valley rolled into one!!!! 

Greg,

That's one of the best and most accurate comparsions I've ever heard!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

COMPARED TO

jonathan_becker

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2010, 04:26:11 PM »
I know, I know, I'm just kidding!!  ;)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2010, 04:31:48 PM »
I know, I know, I'm just kidding!!  ;)

Just clarifying... I have seen some of the attacks on this site!!!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back