News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Carne New 9 holes Pictures July 2012
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »
We had a great few days down in Mayo for the unofficial, official opening... Was wonderful to see the writers make the trip but most pleasing of all was the overwhelming positive response received from members, some of whom had been less than enthusiastic about the project early on.

We played the composite back nine / new nine routing as described by Jack and as shown in the plan a few posts back. Because these holes all intertwine with each other, it was especially rewarding to hear so many people comment on the social aspect of the eighteen holes with groups visible all over the course on many different elevations.

As Jeff states, the Hackett 18 will remain as the main course for the time being at least. I am sure the Composite Routing will be called upon on occasion for members competitions.

In a year or two, perhaps the composite course will become the permanent one with the current front nine as the extras. Would give the added bonus of three unequal loops - one of 6, one of 12 and one of 9... which would give so many options for a casual round.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2013, 04:27:00 AM »
Seeing as Adam Lawrence is too polite to promote his own... and I seem to have far less qualms...

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Hills-and-thrills-on-Carnes-new-nine/2835/Default.aspx

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2013, 04:45:22 AM »
Thanks, Ally. Brian, I might be biased having hit great five woods onto the green both times I played it, and rattled the hole with my putt for a 2 on the second time round (I can't imagine there'll be lots of birdies on the hole), but I'd say that the seventh might be even better. Epic hole.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2013, 05:06:36 AM »

Hole 7 viewed from the tee during the opening event.  Looks terrifying from the tee, but there is a fair run in fairway to the right, which you can't see, so inceasing the perceived terror!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2013, 05:20:59 AM »
Brian:  The Composite course we played is a mix of the new 9 and the Hackett back nine.  You can't really mix in the front nine due to the geography, but you can of course mix and match the 9-hole loops.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:23:19 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2013, 05:29:08 AM »
I think there's two issues re the composite. First is that the Hackett front nine is separated from the other holes, so trying to pick a few from it would be very difficult. Second, if the aim is for the composite to become the main 18 at some point in the future (which has been hinted at repeatedly but never officially confirmed) then obviously there needs to be not just a playable 18 but 18 and a separate nine. I think this would be impossible if you tried to work holes from the front nine in.

Brian - I'm afraid I didn't take photos, I was too busy trying to yomp up the dunes and, on occasion, stay dry. But if you follow Stephanie Wei on twitter and Instagram I reckon you'll find a few - she seemed to have her camera out all the time!
Adam Lawrence

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2013, 05:33:38 AM »
Brian,

As you know, the existing front nine sits in its own parcel of land to the north east of the clubhouse.

The best composite is therefore the mix of back nine and new nine… For fun, I tried to re-sequence an 18 using all three nines to see if there could be an even better course out there (holes such as 3, 6 & 9 on the front nine are crackers after all). It can be done by using 3,6,7,8,9 on front and dropping N2, N3, N4, 17 & 18 but this leaves out too many iconic holes and has the disadvantage of sprawling across three nines and therefore rendering relief holes out of the question on any given day.

The routing we played at the opening is the one that gives the best flow of holes (and least walking) for a composite course. There really isn’t a let-up in the wonderful terrain from hole 1 right through to 18…. Although there are clear stretches of hard holes and stretches of easier. It works very well.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2013, 05:55:43 AM »
Brian:
I have a few and shall pop them up here soon enough.

Richard Phinney

« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2013, 12:28:21 PM »
Thrilled to see you guys pull this off in the true Carne style.  Eddie would be happy I know!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »

So a team of journos and architects descended on the place and all we get is two pictures! Come on lads - we want more!

Kevin Markham was one of the journalists on the trip and he just sent me on these photos that he took... He authored the rather excellent "Hooked" which is an amateur's a guide to all 350 eighteen hole courses in Ireland (after he travelled round in a year and a half)... I like it particularly because it gives as much time (one page each) to all the courses that hardly ever get discussed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hooked-Amateurs-Guide-Courses-Ireland/dp/1848891067/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377965433&sr=1-1&keywords=hooked+markham

There have been a few photos of the 2nd (14th on the composite course) before (the par-3 with the blow-outs). This one is from the left side of the green and shows the hidden bunker tied in to the open sand. That's South Carolina journalist Bob Gillespie putting:

The 3rd hole (or 15th composite) is a 345 yard steeply downhill par-4... Mostly blind drive over the crest of the hill.... Hugging the right side is dangerous but gives possible run-in approach to green:

Aim for the safer left side and you will have this pitch left:

This is the second shot choice on the par-5 fifth hole (8th composite). To the corner for a 130 yard third or up and over to a bunker infested approach before the green. A little bit Alps inspired:

The short par-4 sixth (9th composite) has had the tee-shot posted before. This is the sometimes blind approach to the skyline green. Flag fluttering in distance:

The long par-3 seventh (10th composite) over the chasm (plenty of previous photos) results in this green once you arrive:

The par-4 eighth (11th composite) has a green with a lot of movement, both macro and micro. Ideal approach is played from up high in distance:

A nice photo taken from the right of the 9th green (12th composite) looking back at the clubhouse:

Thomas Dai

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
The 3rd hole (or 15th composite) is a 345 yard steeply downhill par-4... Mostly blind drive over the crest of the hill.... Hugging the right side is dangerous but gives possible run-in approach to green:

Aim for the safer left side and you will have this pitch left:

This new 3rd-hole is a hole that fascinates me, especially with the fairways playing as firm and fast as these photos would seem to indicate. I would love to throw some balls down in alternative positions and attempt various kinds of approach shots to see what types of shot are best hit into different areas of the small sloped green.

How close to that naughty little pot bunker left front dare you go with a bump-n-run? How far right from the tee can you play without the approach being blind or semi-blind? How would you best get near to a right front pin position without being caught out by the run-off? Is best miss really front right? What's the likelihood of an up-n-down from the back bunker? Fascinating mixture of puzzle and opportunity. Stand on the tee thinking "it's only 345 yards downhill, yippee, birdie time". End up with a double-bogie 6 on the card and a frustrated expression on the face!

Splendid photos. Many thanks Ally for sharing them with us.

All the best.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
Courtesy of the good folks at Carne, below are a few photos taken last night that show that the grow-in has come along well since the soft opening in July 2013:

This is looking back at the uphill par-4 sixth hole:

And the par-3 seventh hole from the white tee (2nd back of 4):

The run-in to the same hole:

Tee-shot at the 385 yard par-4 eighth hole:

And a lovely shot looking back up the 445 yard par-4 ninth hole. This hole had least work done on it out of the nine. Effectively as found:

Thomas Dai

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2013, 02:39:41 PM »
Wow!
Thanks for sharing.
Roll on Sept 2015!
All the best.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2013, 03:51:32 PM »
Looking fantastic Ally. Can't (Carnen't?!) wait to go back.
Adam Lawrence

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2014, 11:42:09 AM »
A few more photos I took on Friday... Of some less photographed holes: 4,5 & 6

Par-3 fourth hole - only 128 yards from the daily tees. Tough green, especially the sucker front left pin:

Par-5 Alps fifth hole. This looking back from the dune in the middle of the fairway for the second shot:

And if the safe left route is taken, this is the approach for the third shot to the fifth hole. We just reshaped the middle bunker which I was unhappy with before:

And the same approach but taken from the 7th tee way above:

The uphill Par-4 sixth hole from the very back tee. This hole plays strategically best from the second back daily tees where the centreline bunkers are attackable:

The sixth green from the very right side 50 yards short:

And from the seventh tee:

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »
You're cheating us. These can't be January photos. It's winter, you know. Courses look like shit.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2014, 07:54:44 AM »
Terrific photos - thanks for sharing - please post some more! Looks so different in only a few months. Very much looking forward to visiting Carne again and playing these holes.
atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2014, 05:44:24 AM »
The 5th Hole – “Alps” inspired par 5.

Posting as I’ve a few pictures from this weekend…

Wind dependent, for the low handicap man, the strategy of this hole sets up perfectly from the back tee. There is a decent carry (much less from mid two sets in foreground and non-existent from forward set) to a wide, perfectly natural, undulating fairway amongst a really deep dune valley. The first half of this hole corridor has been in the routing right since the early days of Jim Engh’s plan although the initial idea was to take the green in to the left as a shortish par-4.

Now, the choice: Low and left (visible) to what is actually quite a narrow landing area (30 yards wide) or up and over the saddle to the right (blind). It takes quite a hit to get up there unless you are in the absolutely perfect position in the fairway.

Take the low road and you have an open shot down the length of the green but you’re still looking at 150 yards. The approach bunkers shouldn’t come in to play (being 30 yards short) but there’s one tight left on the green that will always cause problems.

Here is the view back down the hole from the 6th fairway above the 2nd shot landing zone.

Take the high road and you have to execute a good shot to travel far enough down to allow a decent angle in for your 50 yard chip. Only problem is the area is guarded by those approach bunkers and anything coming up too short will have to take on the green from a very awkward angle.

This one of the longest and least undulating greens on the new nine. A view from behind shows your two options for your second shot.

I always knew this hole would provide a lot of discussion. Most people have loved it on first look. A few have yet to get it although I’m hoping that more plays will turn them round. It’s certainly anything but conventional.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:55:23 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2014, 08:15:57 AM »
Ally,

I'm really impressed by what I've seen.
You've given me a great excuse to go back out there and see the new nine ... along with enjoying the original eighteen again.

Congratulations,

Ian
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Frank Pont

« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2014, 08:21:53 AM »
Ally,

I like it, it certainly fits in well with some of the holes of the back nine on the original 18

Tim Johnson

« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »
Ally, thanks as always for posting more pictures of Carne!
It is great to see the course after a bit of the grow in period. it look like the new holes will blend in perfectly with the back nine. I had a couple of buddies do a trip last year and they skipped Carne, thought it was too far off their path(they were at Enniscrone). They now feel they made a big mistake.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2014, 06:45:45 AM »
Thanks Ian, Frank, Tim...

Carne has the most unusual dune system I've ever seen on a piece of links land. Utterly unique. Here's an aerial of the land (mainly back nine and new nine - much of front nine out of view bottom right)... Taken by Eamon Mangan on his iphone a few months ago...

jeffwarne

« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2014, 07:23:51 AM »
When I look at these photos, and compare them to Trump, I see TWO spectacular dune systems,views, and surroundings, and ONE course I really want to play/return to.

That Alps hole says it all for what can be accomplished on a raw, exciting piece of land with an imaginative architect looking to lay the course amidst and around the landforms, rather than compete with them.

Well done Ally
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ryan Coles

« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2014, 07:54:06 AM »
I can't put my finger on it but there is something missing at Carne. It was the centre piece of our trip a few years ago, but Enniscrone is the one that steals the show in that area.

For such a spectacular parcel of land, it should be better. It will take someone more qualified than me to articulate exactly what.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2014, 10:14:17 AM »
Did Jim Engh ever do any work at Carne?  If I remember correctly, he was slated to do the 3rd nine at Carne but that was put on hold and perhaps never happened.  My apologies for being out of touch.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back