News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Johnson

Carne New 9 holes Pictures July 2012
« on: February 19, 2010, 02:25:19 PM »
Carne is my favorite links course and they are in the process of adding a new nine to open in 2011. I have been looking every where to get a layout of the new 9 to see how they are routed through the dunes but no luck. However, i did find the below link that shows the existing course and also has some pictures of the new nines. I have been able to figure out some of the new hole location versus the existing holes. Here is the link if you wish to view the course.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47416118@N07/show/

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:10:40 AM by Tim Johnson »

Garland Bayley

Re: New 9 holes at Carne
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »
In the 5th picture, I think I have seem my favorite looking bunker of all time.
Hit it there at your own risk!  :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Freeman

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »
Awesome pictures Tim!  The course looks simply amazing, and it the new holes look to be over some really interesting land...

I've been daydreaming about Carne all afternoon due to these pics...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tim Johnson

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »
Thanks George but keep in mind, these are not my pictures. Aiden Bradley and Larry Lambrecht tooks these photos. The photos from my trip couldnt compare. It is an incredible course that doesnt get much traffic due to location. You can really get lost in yourself playing this course, we played in May when no tourists were there. I think it is the only course i have ever played where, aside from the turn, we see any other golfers. We took our time and enjoyed every second of it. The new nine looks pretty nice in the dunes, very curious to see what the layout looks like.
Hopefully going back in 2012.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:56:27 AM »
Great photos - I actually took the one of the third hole - a rare good picture from me...

There were a couple of pictures of the new holes on a pdf linked from the Carne website, but that seems to have changed now, unfortunately. They looked pretty good.
John Marr(inan)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 04:03:33 AM »
I have a copy of the pdf if anyone wants me to send it to them; it's titled "1st & 9th of the New Jim Engh 9 hole development at Carne". Is that the one you're talking about Jack?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 05:06:41 AM »
Interesting move investing in a new nine holes in these testing times.
Cave Nil Vino

Jack_Marr

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 05:09:05 AM »
I have a copy of the pdf if anyone wants me to send it to them; it's titled "1st & 9th of the New Jim Engh 9 hole development at Carne". Is that the one you're talking about Jack?

Donal

Yes, that's the one. I'll pm you my email address, if that's okay.

John
John Marr(inan)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 06:26:43 AM »
Jack,

It's on its way - all 3MB of it - so check your mailbox.

Dónal.

Steve Kline

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:38 AM »
When I was there last summer you could that some holes had been routed but it looked like they had been abandoned. Hard to imagine they would be adding holes right now given the state of the world, and Irish, economy.

Sean Leary

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:10:37 AM »
I really wish I liked Carne more than I did in my one playing. Maybe I need to go back but I was so disappointed. The new nine was visable from parts of the back nine and it looked super severe, from what I remember.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »
I was surprised they removed the pictures of the new 9 from the site but I guess in hearing how they may have stopped work, then that is probably why. They actually opened this course to attract people to the area as it was very hard hit in the 90's.
I saw some flags outlining the holes back in 2005 and from what I could see, the new nine would be great. The one hole I could see, and I think it would be the new 9th was from the 16th tee. It looked like another great green surrouned by dunes, much like 10.

Hopefully they will be able to secure the funds to finish the course, it is a big part of the west coast-northern swing for me at least.

Emil Weber

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 10:59:14 AM »
any news?  ???

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 01:26:21 PM »
Emil,

Work is well underway and the new holes will open at some point during the 2013 season, depending on how this year pans out growth wise.

There will be news in full sooner rather than later I expect.

Rgds,
Ally

Tim Johnson

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »
Emil
I received an email from the club about a month ago stating they intend to open the new 9 in June 2013. They expect the work to be completed soon and are allowing for a growing period. They hope to put up pictures on the website later on this summer so the grass may grow a bit more.
I was planning to go in May so I am hoping they get lucky and open a bit sooner.

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 02:16:11 PM »
Ally

Who's involved in this project ?

Niall

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
I walked the new nine in May 2008 and at that time all the tees and greens had been marked out, irrigation pipes were lying about in some sort of order and most of the fairways were at least partially seeded.  It's a shame that not much has been done since, but that is not surprising given the economic circumstances, particularly in Ireland.  If and when the new nine is completed (and assuming that the routing is the same one that Jim Engh designed and I walked) it could be spectacular, but definitely NOT for the cardiovascularly challenged.  If you like serial 100+ ft changes in elevation, you'll love it!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 06:07:14 PM »
Rich,

There has been much progress in the last year and the date of 2013 is a real one. There have been changes since 2008 but I think you will find them for the better.

Brian,

Unfortunately, extending to 36 holes is not a possibility. The whole site is 260 acres and much of that land is severe and dramatic as I'm sure you know. There is potential for the new nine to form part of the main 18 however.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 06:08:58 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

Simon Kofoed

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 04:02:52 AM »
I was there in July 2007 & June 2009 and was amazed at some of the land that was unused for golf.  I had heard about the proposed new 9 and when looking back from the right edge of the current 16th green in June 2009, I was presented with the following sight,  showing the quality of some of the land available. I imagined that would have to form part of this new nine. Recent google earth images appear to show the outline of a number of the new holes (including this area).

Ally & Rich,

Even with google earth I can't make out the entire new 9 routing. Can you shed any light on where it begins? Are there 2 or 3 holes to the very north of the property? ie a new hole runs between the current 1st & 10th? Will some of the new 9 be integrated into the current 18? I ask because I can't see how they can sequence the new 9 holes by themselves without some massive distances between tees & greens. 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 05:31:21 AM »
Great to hear the progress update, Ally.  I'm due for a return to Connacht and maybe 2013-4 will be a good time for that.

Simon

As far as I can remember, the new 9 is a 3rd loop starting from and returning to the clubhouse in the land to the left of 18 (from the clubhouse). In my trek of discovery I took a right at the 14/15 green/tee complex and headed up the dunes back towards home.  That picture you posted perfectly epitomises my experience there on that day.  In fact, my legs cramp and chest tightens just thinking of it!

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Emil Weber

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 08:07:42 AM »
Thanks everyone for the update!

I will be there in July, looking forward to see the course and the progress on the new 9.

I wonder how similar the new 9 will be in style and if it suits the existing course.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »
Ally:

Did Jim Engh finish the course?  The last I talked to him [a couple of years ago] he wasn't sure he was going to be around to see it done.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 04:26:45 AM »
I'm off to Carne on the last weekend in June (hopefully meeting up with Ally) and am very much looking forward to seeing how the new holes are coming along.  Expect a few pics...if I am allowed! 

Tom:  My understanding is that the layout has evolved since Jim was last there.  I was shown a plan a few years ago that was a hybrid of Jim's and others.  My two-penneth worth was that the new holes and the back 9 of the old course should be joined with the front nine becoming a stand alone loop.  I don't know for sure what they have planned and hope to find out.

If any others GCA'ers are in the vicinity it would be good to meet up for a hit.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Jack_Marr

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
Hi Robin

I'll be joining yourself and Ally, for a day at least. Look forward to meeting.

John
John Marr(inan)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 02:55:34 PM »
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:20:52 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back