News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

Re: 2nd Annual Armchair Architecture Contest (All are Welcome!)
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
G-Bay,

If I could get the Donald to participate, it would be the GREATEST ARMCHAIR ARCHITECTURE CONTEST IN THE WORLD.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 02:14:18 PM »
Oh, and Mister Mare, it does fall a lot, but it's only a small creek. I've seen many like it. At the steepest part it would probably be only 10 feet wide with steep sides.

As to the other questions, Don't worry about them. This time around, the contest isn't so much about dealing with the red-tape. Just get out there and draw some golf holes.

Oh, and to everyone. I'll be working on a tutorial tonight that is aimed at the folks not looking to use sketchup. I'll be demonstrating the use of Paint.Net. I think it will be the easiest way to route and design the course.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ben Sims

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »

As to the other questions, Don't worry about them. This time around, the contest isn't so much about dealing with the red-tape. Just get out there and draw some golf holes.

Oh, and to everyone. I'll be working on a tutorial tonight that is aimed at the folks not looking to use sketchup. I'll be demonstrating the use of Paint.Net. I think it will be the easiest way to route and design the course.

Mr. Goerges,

This is good news. I consider myself somewhat intelligent, and I've spent nearly the entire morning trying to rough in a hole or two just to see if I have any skills with Sketchup.  Suffice to say that I almost resorted to taking the file to Kinko's and getting three 36" x 36" mattes and hitting Target for a drafting board just so I could work by hand and scan later.

I quickly realized that my measly trackpad sucked for using the freehand tool, and using the line and arc method just left me with awful looking shapes....HELP!!

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 07:07:28 PM »
Any tips yet on getting the sketch-up file into 3-D? I just checked into the carolina hotel in pinehurst and may need something to do tomorrow morning with the snow on the way!

Charlie Goerges

Link to Paint.Net Tutorial
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 08:40:31 AM »
Below I'll be placing a link to a Paint.Net tutorial. First though I'll make a few points.

• First, make sure you have downloaded and installed Paint.Net
  • Next, make sure you have downloaded the pdn file I referenced in the downloads section.
  • The video is long (about 20 min) and since it features me, it's, shall we say, not exciting.
  • My recording program had some trouble with recording some of the windows. When you watch you'll see what I mean.
  • Consequently it may be easier to follow if you've opened up the program and had a look at it yourself first.

Now, go to the link below which will launch a new window and then click the Download button. It's a 20 meg file, so it may take a while to download.

http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/AAC2%20Base%20Files/paintnet^_tutorial.wmv

Charlie Goerges

Sketchup Tutorials
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 08:45:07 AM »
For everyone who wanted some sketchup tutorials, there is a link below to my online folder from last year. There are four video tutorials and one PDF tutorial. Feel free to download and view at your leisure!

http://cid-f73fd6728c175582.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Armchair%20Architecture%20Contest

Mike Hendren

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 11:04:56 AM »
Is this some clandestine Dork Contest dreamed up by Mike Young?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ben Sims

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 12:21:09 PM »
Charlie,

ARRGGHH!!  Paint.net seems to be a PC only application.  Does that mean I'm stuck with Sktechup??  Or do yo have an iPhoto alternative for us Mac folks.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 12:25:55 PM »
Sorry about that Ben, I'll work on a solution. But here's an idea. Chances are there is something similar on the mac that likely works in a similar way. If you find something before I do, feel free to post it here.

Ben Sims

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 12:55:25 PM »
Paintbrush is the Mac alternative--which coincidentally looks just like Paint.  Now the trick is finding a way to get the file to jive with it...

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »
Ben, just open the jpeg file in paintbrush. I don't know if paintbrush utilizes "layers" or not, so you'll have to take a look. If so, you'll need to get the file all set up on your own. It shouldn't be too difficult. Also, I'm guessing the concepts and tools would probably be similar, so you could still watch the video to get an idea of how to work with the file.

Scott Warren

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »
Charlie: Is there a way to draw over the 2D SketchUp map but have the topo lines appear still through the layer you have drawn?

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 02:03:17 PM »
Short answer is yes. Have a look at the tutorials I linked on the previious page.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 01:09:32 AM »
Did I miss something? Is the tape measure measuring in feet this year? Instead of yards like last year?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 01:32:26 AM »
Yes, it's in feet this year. Sorry for the confusion.

Scott Warren

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 09:13:18 AM »
Charlie,

Those tutorials, with the PDF as a reference, are pretty awesome. Thanks.

Ed Oden

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »
Charlie: Is there a way to draw over the 2D SketchUp map but have the topo lines appear still through the layer you have drawn?
Short answer is yes. Have a look at the tutorials I linked on the previious page.

Charlie, is there a way to do the same thing in paint.net?

Ed Oden

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 10:20:59 AM »

Charlie, is there a way to do the same thing in paint.net?

Charlie, scratch that question.  I figured it out myself.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2010, 11:09:24 AM »
Good Ed,

But I do want to point out that the Paint.net tutorial that I did shows how to this. I'm glad to see folks are getting things figured out.

Also, in the sketchup tutorials I probably say that the scale is 1 inch equals 1 yard. That was true for last year's contest. In this year's contest, the scale in the sketchup file is 1 inch equals 1 foot.

Alex Miller

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »
I know the topo lines have been set in feet, but last years was in meters.

Wouldn't this site be alot more interesting and funner to route if we said they were in meters? Seems like the site is REALLY flat now.

Jay Cox

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2010, 11:55:03 PM »
Has anyone tried to create a DEM file of this topo map?
If you've done that successfully, or if you have software that would let you do it easily, I would be eternally grateful for a copy.

Emil Weber

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 06:51:01 AM »
edit. got it
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:52:25 AM by Emil Weber »

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 06:15:16 PM »
I hear you Alex, but I think enough people are already working on it under the current assumptions.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 06:23:57 PM »
So...How is everyone doing?

I just wanted to check in and get something of a roll-call going so that I can get an idea of the number of competitors and see if there are any difficulties that seem to be prevalent.

Also, if you've sent me an IM or email and I haven't gotten back to you yet, I should eventually. But don't hesitate to send me another as sometimes they can stack up a bit.

Lastly, I wanted to welcome another judge to our roundtable, Philip Spogard, a GCA from Denmark. Welcome aboard, Philip!

Scott Warren

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 06:27:17 PM »
I am overcoming some scale problems (two-acre bunkers and 200m-wide fairways!) and playing with my routing a little. I don't have much micro detail yet, save for three holes, but I love all my greensites (which is half the issue - 18 OHMYGOD! greens might be a bit much.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back