News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

The Masters
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
ESPN is already advertising that The Masters is only X days away.

Personally, I can't wait.

But, what changes to the golf course are expected for this year's tournament ?

JESII

Re: The Masters
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:58:35 AM »
I heard they de-Tiger-proofed it!

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:01:11 AM »
I think the most interesting thing to watch will be the players trying to hold greens from the 1/2" rough with the new 2010 groove rules.

The difference will probably be small at best, but if the course is playing F&F...it could leave some testy situations!
H.P.S.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »
For those who are very familiar with ANGC, how quickly can fast-and-firm conditions change there -- two or three days of rain? Or would it take a prolonged wet spell to slow it down?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:25:13 AM »
Rick: Don't they have sub-air under all the greens? If that is correct, then it would take a long time to lose firm greens. Also, because the site is so sloped, it drains very well, and so I think in total it would take a lot of rain in a short period, but recovery would be relatively quick.

Provided that nothing is changed form the last couple of years, Augusta will be a good, test of the new groove condition. Of course, it is only one test. so it will not be conclusive. The USGA clearly stated that the groove change is an effort to bring back accuracy (fairways hit) as a primary function of scoring, by bringing back the spector of "fliers" from the intermediate rough. Since this is the only type of rough Augusta maintains, we should have lots of opportunity to witness this phenomena, especially if wet conditions prevail. All of that, of course, is contingent on whether green conditions are similar to the past few years, which would be the best years with which to compare.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Greg Chambers

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
Maybe the new grooves will convince the powers that be that going back to wall-to-wall fairway is the right thing to do.  We can only hope...
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »
Maybe the new grooves will convince the powers that be that going back to wall-to-wall fairway is the right thing to do.  We can only hope...

But the new grooves make little or no difference on full shots from the fairway, which would remove incentive to get rid of rough.  Right?

WW

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
Jim,
I think the term is "de-re-quasi-neo Tiger-proofed it."
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JESII

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 02:30:42 PM »
Unless "Quasi" is the three-iron she was holding I don't know what you're talking about...

Maybe this is inappropriate...

but it struck me funny...

Chris Kane

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »
But, what changes to the golf course are expected for this year's tournament ?
Whatever they've done, I hope the changes will go some way to bringing back the traditional character of the course and the tournament.  These days don't enjoy the Masters like I did growing up in the 1990's - I suspect the changing nature of the course is a big reason for that.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 04:43:36 PM »
I still think that if the winds lay down, the temperatures stay up and there's a little pre-tournament water on the greens, we'll see a birdie-fest.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Richard Choi

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
I believe the new grooves will have a pretty minor effect on Masters. .5" rough is just not enough to really make a huge difference on spin out of the rough.

It will be a different story at US Open, though.

Dave Maberry

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 05:03:33 PM »

Has anyone received results of Practice Round lottery? I won 4 tickets for all three days my first year(2001) and haven't won since then. I always return my application early but haven't been as lucky. I don't recall any talk about tickets since the lottery in September.

Thanks,
Dave

john_stiles

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 05:28:40 PM »
As mentioned in first 2010 tour telecast,  maybe new grooves will affect the  short, half or chip shots.  They might have to play for more roll on the short chips off the green.  Geoff Ogilvy mentioned such during the event.   Having to play more roll on short pitches might punch things up a bit.  It seems many short chips are taken at 2nd, 8th, 9th, 11th and maybe a few others.

The lay-ups on 13th were probably already for full or 3/4 pitch shots given the creek, etc.

Might have more lay-ups on 2nd or 8th hole based on hole location, remaining distance to hole, etc.  ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:37:26 PM by john_stiles »

Stephen Britton

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »
New driving range.. I think over by the water tower.
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

David Lott

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 08:30:28 PM »

Has anyone received results of Practice Round lottery? I won 4 tickets for all three days my first year(2001) and haven't won since then. I always return my application early but haven't been as lucky. I don't recall any talk about tickets since the lottery in September.

Thanks,
Dave

I think you can show up on any practice round day except the Par 3 tournament and buy a ticket on the street for at, near and sometimes under face value.
David Lott

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 08:39:50 PM »
Simple Masters formula ...

dump the second cut

cut the silly trees that have been added

return some holes back to what they were -- see the 1st and 7th as clear examples -- although the 1st should not be 410 yards as it was years ago.

The Masters forgot its brand identity -- it used to be ENTERTAINMENT GOLF -- not SLOG GOLF.

C. Squier

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 09:28:40 PM »
Saw the first commercial for the Masters a few days ago.....hearing that tune for the first time of the year always gives me chills. 

Can't wait.

CPS

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »
Chris Kane,

I think bringing back a course that generates the drama/theatre you allude to, is a reasonable goal.

The question is, what needs to be done architecturally to accomplish that ?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 10:24:14 PM »
Pat - Matt is on the right track...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back