News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jonathan_becker

BANDON DUNES daylight
« on: January 08, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »
I am making my first trip to Bandon this coming November.  Finally!!!!  ;D

Based on everyone that's played there in November, what I want to know is if 36 holes a day is a realistic option.  Is the fog too thick?, is it too cloudy?, etc, etc.

I know the weather is a roll of the dice, but please elaborate on some of your experiences regarding daylight.  My friends and I are looking to go the first week.

Edit - I looked at wunderground and Kalen has also informed me of the 10 hours of daylight.  This could be pushing it.  Though, I'd still like to hear some experiences from you guys.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:24:27 PM by jonathan becker »

Kalen Braley

Re: BANDON DUNES daylight
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 04:19:39 PM »
After looking at a Sunrise/Sunset calendar...   http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php

It looks like early November could be doable, ~10 hrs of daylight each day in 1st week.  But you would need to be one of the 1st groups out in the morning obviously.

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »
Jonathan,

I was there last March, which has a similar amount of daylight and we played 36 each day. We were able to make it happen, partially, by playing Pacific Trails as our afternoon rounds. When I made the reservations the time between the AM/PM rounds were spread out but both times at Trails we were able to go out early. We played in 3 1/2 hours and finished with daylight left.

Enjoy your trip.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »
November may be tough because I think it books up early because that is when rates drop.  Getting the early times is critical, and you may be too late.

I usually go in March or Feb and have no issues.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »
Jonathan,

I was there last March, which has a similar amount of daylight and we played 36 each day. We were able to make it happen, partially, by playing Pacific Trails as our afternoon rounds. When I made the reservations the time between the AM/PM rounds were spread out but both times at Trails we were able to go out early. We played in 3 1/2 hours and finished with daylight left.

Enjoy your trip.

Pacific Trails?

Cool, when did Bandon get a new course?   ;D

P.S.  Guessing you meant to say Bandon Trails? ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:54:47 PM by Kalen Braley »

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 04:54:31 PM »
the mystery 6th course!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:03:20 PM »
Bandon Trails. This is what happens when you hit post before preview.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 05:25:03 PM »
Played in mid November this past year, played 36 twice, with 7am and 12 pm tee times, had no trouble finishing, as mentioned in a previous posts Bandon Trails seems to be the best choice for afternoon rounds as it didn't seem as busy as the other courses.

JohnV

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »
The last couple of years I've been fortunate enough to join a group that includes Peter Pittock at Bandon for the weekend before Thanksgiving.  36 was tough for those who gave it a go and definitely required some planning and getting one of the first tee times of the morning.  Most of the time they didn't get all 18 in.

Fog is generally not an issue at that time of year.  Daylight and rain are.

Trails is good because of lighter play, but it also gets dark a little quicker as there are more trees and the middle section is over the dunes from the sunset.

Pac Dunes #18 can be dark while Bandon Dunes 18 is still in sunlight, again due to the dunes.  Other than the time it takes to play Bandon Dunes due to some of the walks on the front side, it is probably the best afternoon course when the light is low.

Also, be aware that they frequently close one course or another for a day at that time of year so you might not be able to get your choices when you want them.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 07:33:59 PM »
Thanks guys for the input.  I've booked my times and I didn't get exactly what I wanted, but it's better than nothing.  Below is my schedule....

8 am PD, 1:20 PD
 8 am OM, 1:20 BD
 8:10 BT, 1:20 OM
 9:20 BD - go home

I know it's a roll of the dice, but does that 1:20 look like we're gonna finish?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:23:55 AM by jonathan becker »

Will MacEwen

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »
Jonathan,

I would call periodically to move that 1:20 up in the event of cancellation, and when you are there see if you can push it ahead a little.

I know that you can hunt around on line to get sunset times, which give some help.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:14:48 PM by Will MacEwen »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 07:57:56 PM »
It looks like sunset is about 6:00 and twilight 6:30 according to the tables when I punched in 'sunset time Coos Bay'

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

jonathan_becker

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »
Will,

Trust me, I'll probably be calling every day to move that 1:20 up!

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
Jonathan,

Dump one of the BD rounds for another round on one of the other 3...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 02:11:12 AM »
I played 36 holes on all three days during the last week of november 2008.

I am making my first trip to Bandon this coming November.  Finally!!!!  ;D

Based on everyone that's played there in November, what I want to know is if 36 holes a day is a realistic option.  Is the fog too thick?, is it too cloudy?, etc, etc.

I know the weather is a roll of the dice, but please elaborate on some of your experiences regarding daylight.  My friends and I are looking to go the first week.

Edit - I looked at wunderground and Kalen has also informed me of the 10 hours of daylight.  This could be pushing it.  Though, I'd still like to hear some experiences from you guys.

Thanks!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Rob Rigg

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 03:26:31 AM »
If you can - play BD first - once

Then play PD, and the next day go with BT am and OM pm

It will be a wonderful journey through the evolution of BDGR

With any subsequent rounds, on your first trip, I would play PD and OM exclusively.

I love BT, and would play an extra round there on my second trip but OM could very well be the best course at the resort in a close battle with PD of course.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 08:31:40 AM »
Pete,

I thought your post was crazy about the sunrise/sunset.  I didn't believe it until Ryan Admussen sent me a pm about how daylight savings doesn't fall until 11/7 this year!  :o  BOOM!!!! ;D  ;D  I had only been looking up historical weather and kept seeing the 5pm sunset.  This changes everything and now we shouldn't have a problem getting finished. (fingers crossed)

Rob,

Unfortunately with one course being closed every day, some tee times already taken and 2 courses closed on another day, this is the best schedule that we could make work.  If we can get all 18 in at BD the second day, then we'll switch out the last round for PD.  Other than that, the schedule is set.

Kyle and Rob,

I have looked at all of your photo threads on Bandon and I thank both of you very much for taking the time.  :)

Emil Weber

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 02:56:39 PM »
How are the playing conditions at BDGR in november or february/march ? Is it all soggy or do they manage to keep it f&f?

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 03:14:18 PM »
How are the playing conditions at BDGR in november or february/march ? Is it all soggy or do they manage to keep it f&f?

Emil,

When I played last March, the conditions were quite firm even though the day we arrived the area received about 3/4 of an inch of rain. I was extremely pleased with the conditions on all of the courses.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 03:51:04 PM »

Conditions were great when I was there in November, no complaints at all.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 08:55:48 PM »
Jonathan,

Your trip as scheduled is perfect, if you can just get the afternoon rounds a tad earlier, which you're already working on.  I agree fog shouldn't be the issue in November, just rain and daylight.  Based on my experience the greens will be perfect and conditions will be firm and fast even if you get a howling storm.  You will have a great time.

I assume you will pay no attention to the comments of Messrs. Tigerman and Rigg, especially as you sensibly didn't ask for that type of advice.  Bandon Dunes is a treat to play as many times as you can, and you can always go back for more of it or the others.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 03:58:17 AM »
Jonathan,

I wasn't able to play the courses in order of construction my first time around either - definitely not a big deal - I just thought it would be interesting to do so and that is how I have set up my trip in June with my dad (it'll be his first trip to BDGR). Any GCA nut should and will be extremely happy on any of the courses.

Eric is right in that there are no "weak sisters" of the four courses at the resort and all of them are a pleasure to play as they have distinct characters which is pretty amazing given that they are in such close proximity to one another. That is one of the amazing things about the resort. Some of us get a bit down on BD but it is just personal preference and we are splitting hairs as the overall quality of every course is best in class.

Looking fwd to your report - fingers crossed for decent weather and the "right" amount of wind.

Eric Olsen

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »
We just returned from playing 36 per day from 1/3-1/6, teeing off at 8 am and then asap afterwards, with sunset and darkness hitting hard at 510.  If you can do 36 per day that close to solstice, you will have no trouble doing 36 holes per day in November, unless you have a very slow 4some.  The golf was awesome....as always..... :D

Adam_Messix

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
Jonathan--

We were able to 36 holes a day at Bandon in December without only perhaps the final hole being close to an issue.  If things haven't changed, the second round would start out very quickly and we would get though 12 holes, we were on pace to finish with an hour to spare.  Then we would catch the group at the back end playing their first round of the day and it was slow the rest of the way.  With your times, you should be able to do it.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »
Jonathon,

Daylight should not be a problem.  I recently played 36 on the shortest day of the year.

However, if you're making a trip to Bandon, I would highly suggest playing the Ballybandon Sheep Ranch.  It's a bunch of tees and 13 large, fabulous greens.  You play from wherever you want to wherever you want.  You're encouraged to bring a cooler of food and drop it some place on the course, there is no clubhouse.

At the Bandon resort, they barely acknowledge the existence of the course.  Tee times must me made through Bandon Golf Supply, and they are very nice.  As play is very limited, you should book sooner rather than later.

There is a wonderful article titled 'GOLF IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION' in journal 4 of The Journal of the Shivas Irons Society.  It's about a day of golf at the Sheep Ranch.

Steve

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back