News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Fri-Sat, 1/8-9 - Get To Know Tony Muldoon
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:16:03 PM »
In continuing with our recent trend of featuring overseas posters, Tony has graciously agreed to do a thread.

As a resident of London now, he has attended 3 Buda Cups, so I imagine he has had an opportunity to tee it up with quite a few GCAers. Hopefully he and they will share some stories.

I've always found Tony's posts to be very well thought out, so I think you will enjoy getting to know him better.

Here's to a great 2010, for Tony and everyone else on this wonderful golf site know as golfclubatlas.

-----

On deck: ? Gotta dig through my messages and see who's slated for January.

5 most recent participants:

Andrew Summerell

Charlie Goerges

Joe Hancock

Kelly Blake Moran

Scott Warren

Full list of participants:

Get To Know participants
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

Re: Starting Fri-Sat, 1/8-9 - Get To Know Tony Muldoon
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:35:52 PM »

Tony,

Having the name Tony, how difficult has it been to keep the ladys away?

London now....Where before?

What are your opinions of Cruden Bay?

Is golf a birth right for an englishman?

Where would you like to see future BUDDAs?

Have you had Kentucky Fried Chicken?

Favorite club in your bag?

Have you been in that big ferris wheel?

Best place in Europe for a holiday?

Would you paint your face if you went to a Ryder Cup?

Stones or The Who?

Cheers.....Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:54:56 PM »

George

Who is Tony, a newbie? American or a Brit? Yes I think we need to get to know him. Worried by that last name Muldoon - was he in Dad's Army, the corp. or the medic?

We need to know a lot more about this guy, like how many young ladies and where does hi hide them, is he into 8,000yards courses, does he throw his club, in fact is he a lurker? Any DNA samples, if so should you have them checked out before 1/8-9 or as we say it 8/9 -01-10, could he be my dad? We need to find out, is he a mole from another blog site full of disinformation (well that will not be new for GCA.com (the disinformation bit).

How’s he getting on with his op to have his balls reduced or enlarged, whatever ball roll back means?

Tony, we want the lot, including inside leg measurement :-\ :P

Melvyn

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:01:02 PM »
Which makes the better Golf Dog for accompanying one around the golf course, Heeler or Lurcher?

If you were a member at Walton Heath how would you split a typical 10 rounds between the New and the Old?

Has Van Morrison recorded anything worth listening to in the past 10-15 years?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:06:35 PM »
Thanks for the invite George!

'Tony where have you been? Us babe magnets need to stick together.

Regarding my name I have to thank Tom Doak writing about an English club on here (the Wisley) who first made me aware that Tony could be an adjective  

"Having a high-toned manner; stylish."  

It does seem to be an American usage and of course now I'm aware of it I see it a fair bit.  I like it. ;)

London now....Where before?
Born Roscommon Eire, first 5 years in Belfast and left for London in 1963. My life could have been so different. Apart form 3 years as a student in Birmingham, it's been London ever since.

What are your opinions of Cruden Bay?

Great(ish). How I long to go back there.

Is golf a birth right for an englishman?

I don't know, ask one.

Where would you like to see future BUDDAs?

The way I see it if you want a BUDA to go soemwhere then organise it.
So...  one year soon I will pitch for the first Irish Buda at Portrush/Portstewart or in the Dublin area.
I also have my name on a long list for a GCA favourite in Scotland and if that comes through then i'll try and organise one there. ( ;))

Have you had Kentucky Fried Chicken?
This sounds like a sucker Q? Er Yes

Favorite club in your bag?
Probaly TM 3Rescue.  Have hit some lovely shots with that baby

Have you been in that big ferris wheel?
A couple of times and I have to say it offers the best view in London for that old reason - you can't see it from there. It's not a very elegant construction is it?

Best place in Europe for a holiday?

So many and I hope I've yet to discover it.  However many times on here I've touted Biarritz.  A fun place, surrounded by the Pyrennes and just over the border from Spain. Good Golf, excellent surfing and some of the prettiest sights you'll ever see walking along the beaches.

Would you paint your face if you went to a Ryder Cup?

I was at the K Club and they don't make waterproof paint that good.

Stones or The Who?
 Finally saw the Stones about 5 years ago but saw the Who in about 75 (all original band members).  But for a fantasy gig it would be the Stones with Mick Taylor, they were BADDD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL2Ee12HrCU&feature=related

PS another way we're related is spelling and for some reason Word and Smellchecker have stopped working!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:09:01 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »

Tony, we want the lot, including inside leg measurement :-\ :P

Melvyn

Melvyn when I was young man Cuban heels were quite the thang. So I always bought my Levi's 36". But now I wear gentlemen's brogues I find 34's don't need turning up. But in the land of plenty I have been able to purchase 35" which allows a slight break of the crease over the welt. I wish they were availble over here but there's simply more choice over there. ;)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:56:11 PM »
Which makes the better Golf Dog for accompanying one around the golf course, Heeler or Lurcher?

Have only played golf with two types of dog Jet the Lurcher and Richard Pennells Scotty(?) who thinks 9 holes is quite enough and he'll see you in an hour and a half. Jet liked to exercise his legs so you need the course to yourselves. This year has not been kind to him but he did enjoy a couple of  Sundays on the Old Course. When I find it I'll post a sacreligious picture for this site. He took a short nap on the 11th green!

If you were a member at Walton Heath how would you split a typical 10 rounds between the New and the Old?

Tough. Since our day there I've enjoyed two more playing visits and 3x following the qualifying event for the US Open.  To soon to say but for me the New just hangs together better. 6-4?

You're asking the wrong guy 'coz I'd have missed it. However this April my wife bought us tickets to see him trouring Astral Weeks, as a surprise birthday present.  I told my brother I didn't want to go because I was afraid of what he might do to it. I was surprised and delighted by how energised he was throughout and rather than faithfully reproduce it he reimagined it with a similar band style and it came accross as fresh and lovely as I could have hoped for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BYvoH2_XuA&feature=PlayList&p=2359D751AB2B81E0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2 

He's such a git though, he chases old video's off you tube.  If you ever get a chance to see The Last Waltz, fst forward to Caravan. He was The Man (for me).

1973 Touring with the Caledonian Soul Orchestra - oh for a time travel machine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj7qfh70gak&feature=channel 

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 04:00:18 PM »
Tony,

How important is a reliable car to the successful execution of a weekend golf escape?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »
Tony,

How important is a reliable car to the successful execution of a weekend golf escape?

Reliable or not the car will prove more useful if you keep the keys on your person, especially while tramping about a hundred acres of tall fescue-covered dunesland.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »
I've jsut realised that Car was never meant to go to East Kent.

Both of you are refferring to the same car a Merc Estate.  I watched the Amatuer Cahmpionship at RSG 2005(?) at RSG with Brent and Richard Penell. After 18 holes I realised that the key fobn had fallen from my pocket somewhere on the course!  During lunch I manged to talk a friend who hd siad he might come down in the afternoon to go to my  office and come down with a spare key fob. Cost me a box of ProV1's that the pro let me buy at the competitors rates.

Fast forward to last spring and Scott and I meet for the first time at West Ham tube station. The silver Chariot blasts down the M2 but as we round Canterbury it's clear something is wrong and the lack of power is a concern. Then as we turn off the main  road there's a very strange smell comming form the engine. I pull over and Scott looks crestfallen but manages to say " If we drive slowly do you think we can make it to Deal and call the rescue service after the game?" ;D   I still feel the pain Scott, it waould have been a beautiful day to play golf. I never drove the blasted thing again.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
Hopefully you sold it to someone in Northumberland.

Or perhaps it just wanted to save you the indignity of another set of lost keys.

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 05:08:59 PM »
That's why I had a fingerprint recognition system installed in my Bentley... :)

Standard questions:

What brought you to golf?

Golf course architecture?

This website?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
If ever there were a GCAer who epitomised a slight break of the crease over the welt, it is our very own T  Muldoon, Esq. Gawdblessim!

Tony,
Early or Late Steely Dan?

Which Pink Floyd Album?

Fife or East Lothian?

You played Swinley?

VERY first impression of St Andrews?

Buxus sempervirens or Lavandula angustifolia?

Luv and bestest for 2010,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »
Tony,

Curry or Thai?

Mercedes or Prius?

Haymarket or The Old Vic?

Who is your favorite architect?

When are you coming to the states?

What are your top three favorite courses to date?

How much do you wish you had taken up golf as a youngster?

How impressed are you that each question is a tad longer than the previous?  ;D

Cheers!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 11:17:09 PM »
Tony,

1.  Have you played in the US? 

2.  If someone were visiting England from the US, what three courses would you say were must-sees?

3.  How did you respond to Scott's suggestion to just drive slowly? 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 02:17:46 AM »

Standard questions:

What brought you to golf?
Looking back now I feel I must have been trying hard to avoid it.
I can recall walking round DunLoaghaire (a Colt Course NLE) with my Grandmother and Dad in the early 60's.  She was an excellent player to national level and I have some Cups and spoons she won in the 30's.  My Dad was a fine category 1 club player and I caddied for him a few times. Occasional holiday Golf with my brother Richard on the Old Course at Portstewart but somehow it didn't grab me.

1999 and I joined Richard and his mates for 9 holes at Fullwell GC on his Stag do.  Parred the 9th - a par 3 right in front of the Clubhouse and it must have got to me.  The following spring my Dad asked what would I like for my Birthday and that summer I started playing.  Very soon it was serious.  I was lucky with the timming because I got to play a few rounds with my father.

Golf course architecture?
Again I've got to thank Richard who also posts on here.  The bug got him as a teenager and he finally got to single figures when his wife was preganant. Hang on in there Richard!
I can't be sure what year it was but propbably only 12 months after taking the game up I was telling him how much I enjoyed seeing different courses, even though some didn't do a lot for me.  He said "I think you need to read this" and leant me his old battered copy of Rough Meditions by Brad Klein. After that I stopped reading the mags. with all their confusing tips and started reading whatever I could find on history and GCA.

This website?
Ran's short essay at the back of Golf Architecture Vol 1

Back after work.

Jon Earl

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 04:17:02 AM »
Tony

1. Given the choice, which club would you like to be a member of and why?
2. Course(s) which surprised/disappointed you the most?
3. Best English modern?

Cheers

Jon
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 05:33:43 AM »
Tony

Good to see someone from GB&I getting their 15 minutes of fame.

1.  How many rounds did you get on TOC last year?  Was it as good as you expected?

2.  Favourite hole/course you've played?

3.  What course(s) are you most looking forward to playing in 2010?

4.  Guinness or Bitter?

5.  Keith Wood or Brian Moore?

Cheers
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 06:22:04 AM »
I had a real belly laugh hearing the car story related again. Canterbury is only about 15 miles from Deal and Scott is so keen I'm surprised he didn't abandon Tony and trudge off down the hard shoulder playing cross country golf on the way!!

Michael Whitaker - hats off to your half Christmas tree questions in honour of our resident gardener!
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 06:29:15 AM »
In defence, it was both Tony and my first trip down after being admitted to the club on the same day, and it was one of those amazing days when even jailbirds must be thrilled to be alive.

I'd noticed a funny smell on the motorway, but when we pulled off the sun came in the windscreen on such an angle that the smokey fumes in the cabin were illuminated ;D it was pretty clear at that stage that we were going no further.

I recall offering my "can't we just limp to Deal and worry about it after the round" in jest, but then again a lot of truth is said in jest!

Tony, did we ever establish with that tow truck driver what the difference was between a Kentish Man and a Man of Kent? ;D That bloke just sealed the day as a write-off!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »

Tony,

Old or New.....How to you feel about Castle Stuart,Kingsbarns and The Castle Course?

Who do you usually golf with?

Ever had a hole in one?

Ever had gravy and biscuits with fried chicken livers?

What do you think about American Football?

Ever had a root canal?

Thanks for playing........Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »

Are you f@#%ng kidding me?  Has he recorded anything worth listening to since Them tore it up with "Gloria" when I was a college kid in 1964?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYXdQjNUPXQ

Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end!

Tony, always a pleasure, looking forward to the next Buda.  That was a fun foursomes match at Deal - at least until the cross bunker at #17!  ;D

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 04:25:13 PM »

Early or Late Steely Dan?

The Dan were magnificent, with all the Jazz references and the cool lyrics you felt soo smart when you knew who Karthy Barberian was . But.. and this is my beef with all 'modern' music, once the sound became more important than the song it all became too ...sterile for my taste. First 3 albums better and better and the title track of Aja was a high water mark, but for me the smoother it got the more boring. Sorry Martin that's just how I hear it.

Dig those crazy threads - shame there's no final Guitar solo. They are clearly miming without a horn section (except the oh so cool Becker)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj9Rs56u8YY

But what the hell were they singing about?
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/103344/

I love the internet ;D

Which Pink Floyd Album?

Never a big hit with me. At school it was Atom Heart and Meddle  "0ne of these days I'm ..." Another band who became too polished  ;D

Fife or East Lothian?

Auberon Waugh  "Oh why does it have to be "Red OR White?"? I worry about what I'm missing."

You played Swinley?
Yes indeed, when you going ot come down and play it?  Second visit next month and willknow more then. Currently 3rd best course in London area.

VERY first impression of St Andrews?

Arrived Sat mid Pm. Unpack "Dog needs a Walk"

All I could think is "where's the definition? Where's the golf course? TOC does not look like a friggin' Golf Course!"   Despite having read all about it my first impressions were just totally confused.  Just like everyone else.

Buxus sempervirens or Lavandula angustifolia?

Each in the thier right place. Good choices.

PS I broached the possibility of next Christmas in Orlando the other day. "On your own" she said. mmm...

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »
Hi John

1. Given the choice, which club would you like to be a member of and why?
I have a sentimental aattachment to the Portrush area and fancy joining Rathmore GC. They play over the Valley course and they have some times on the main course. I found them very friendly and the idea of playing with Graeme McDowell in the monthly medal is very appealing.  I plan to watch the next Ryder Cup in America there. Golf during the day and Party time in front of the TV at night.

I did join a club where I didn't fit in and I think that side of things is rarely discussed  on here.  Howdo you know until you've laid sown a heavy financial committment? Since then I'm  very pleased to be a member of these two clubs.

Epping GC. A mum and pop style place with some whacky holes -not everyone likes the place. They do a lot for kids golf and have a great membership. Very friendly place. I pay a small annual fee and £10 a round.  Which allows me to also be a member of
RCPGC.  I really wanted to join a Links course but as I come to the end of my first year I realise the Club is even greater than the course.  I've yet to meet anyone who's stuffy or who needs a formal introduction. I'm on greetings terms with at least 20 people (from about 10 visits).  I've played 4 informal matches for the Club against local and international visitors and there's a lot I've stil to explore. ~They are the only club I know of, outside Scotland, who still have Match Dinners. Basically come along, get bluterred and arrange a match with someone. Then club members will bet on your prospects whaich for new members, form can only be assessed by your ability to hold your drink!
I'll email you and hopefully we can make a match.

2. Course(s) which surprised/disappointed you the most?
Pennard, most natural course I'd played. You wonder over this strange landscpe looking for the next flag. Wonderful

Woodhall Spa.  I must be missing something because I kept asking myself why is it so bloody flat, "where's the Golf?".  I steered the ball away from the bunkers and was rather underwhelmed.  I will go back.

3. Best English modern?
I havn't palyed that much but I did like Bearwood Lakes, HAwtree.  I also really like Stockley Park,  RTJ. so does that count?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »
Tony,
Curry or Thai?

Thia after Thia

Mercedes or Prius?
If you're wondering why
Larry David is always so cantankerous,
just look at the car he drives  ;)

Haymarket or The Old Vic?
Royal Opera House

Who is your favorite architect?
Do I have to choose 'coz I havn't decided yet.

When are you coming to the states?
Not soon enough for my liking. Hopefully 2011

What are your top three favorite courses to date?
Four years on and Dornoch is clearly no 1
North Berwick, Lahinch, The Addington, Ganton, Brancaster
and a bunch of others are fighting to make a top ten.

How much do you wish you had taken up golf as a youngster?
Honestly no. 
I doubt I have the coordination to be a really low capper and I've enjoyed many other sports.

How impressed are you that each question is a tad longer than the previous?  ;D
Perfect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back