News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Golf in Marco Island
« on: December 13, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »
I have a Deerfield buddy who is spending three and a half weeks in Marco island.  I told him to play the Hideout.  I also told him to drive to world Woods and spend an overnight.  What else is good to play down there?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

John_Conley

Re: Golf in Marco Island
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 11:58:55 PM »
Jay, is "down there" the whole state of Florida?

There are some courses on Marco Island, plus The Golf Club of Marco Island which isn't and is actually in Naples on the road out to Marco.

Hideout is in the Naples area.  If your ring includes that there are a large number of Naples area courses worth seeing.  They've been discussed a lot on this board.

World Woods is four hours away.  If you include anything within four hours that includes all of the Tampa/St. Pete area, Sarasota/Bradenton, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and pretty much everything south of Jacksonville/Daytona.

Narrow it down a bit or include some parameters (i.e., once in the Naples area, several times on the Island, and two day trips) and maybe I can help some more.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 12:41:52 AM »
Jay, there's only a little golf on Marco and it isn't classic golf course architecture.  Weather's nice, though.
Driving up to Naples isn't too bad, and there's a couple of really good courses and maybe a dozen decent courses in Collier County.
Driving all the way to World Woods is pretty wild, since it is so far, and he'd drive past a half dozen other places to play in that distance.

In the Naples area (all private):  Calusa Pines, Hideout, Hole in the Wall, Quail Creek, Quail West; other members will think of more.  These are all good designs and extremely well-conditioned, fast-green courses.

I'll start another thread on classic Florida golf courses throughout the state.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 08:20:39 AM »
Jay, is "down there" the whole state of Florida?

There are some courses on Marco Island, plus The Golf Club of Marco Island which isn't and is actually in Naples on the road out to Marco.

Hideout is in the Naples area.  If your ring includes that there are a large number of Naples area courses worth seeing.  They've been discussed a lot on this board.

World Woods is four hours away.  If you include anything within four hours that includes all of the Tampa/St. Pete area, Sarasota/Bradenton, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and pretty much everything south of Jacksonville/Daytona.

Narrow it down a bit or include some parameters (i.e., once in the Naples area, several times on the Island, and two day trips) and maybe I can help some more.

no down there is marco island...problem solved...he's going to miami, so I told him to take a side trip to Pt. St. Lucie and play the Dye course at PGA Village.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

John_Conley

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 10:59:24 PM »
no down there is marco island...problem solved...he's going to miami, so I told him to take a side trip to Pt. St. Lucie and play the Dye course at PGA Village.

I like the Dye Course.  That is quite a bit N of Miami and pretty far from Naples.  Before you get to Port St. Lucie you pass the municipal in North Palm Beach.  I can recommend that.

The courses in Palm Beach County are quite a bit better than what you'll find in Broward and Dade.  Of course, if he just wants to get out while in Florida, it makes no sense to leave the area where he's staying.  There is an incredible amount of offerings.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back