News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

The Idiot
« on: December 13, 2009, 01:02:09 PM »
I thought I'd share this entertaining article written by Bernard Darwin. I think many of us can relate.

Bill_McBride

Re: The Idiot
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:07:34 PM »
Thanks for ruining an otherwise productive rainy Sunday afternoon.  Now I'll get out the Darwin and waste another few hours enjoying his wonderful prose.  I love his self-deprecating tales, so easily self-identifiable!

jim_lewis

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:00:39 PM »
See the happy moron.
He doesn't give a damn.
I wish I were a moron.
My God, perhaps I am.

anon
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:06:31 PM by jim_lewis »
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 03:32:55 PM »
Very cool stuff!!

Thanks for sharing!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »
Dang, I was hoping this thread was about Dostoevsky, not Darwin.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 01:19:40 AM »
Bill,

Excellent call.

I've been subjected to so much abysmal golf typing lately (I do not credit most of the pap as having been 'written') that after submitting this post, "Golf Between Two Wars" is going to get retrieved from my library and set on my nightstand.

I'm beginning to wonder if our Treehouse *really is* the last bastion of free thinking and cogent writing on golf left in the world. I find it rare to really enjoy or admire the work of anyone (on the subject of golf) who does not participate on the site in some measure. Not confined only to posts mind you, but also their work away from Treehouse riffings.     

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 04:52:30 AM »
Thanks for posting this Tom. Darwin at his best!

This should be required reading for every golfer just before he steps on the first tee.

Dónal.

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 08:12:53 AM »
Dang, I was hoping this thread was about Dostoevsky, not Darwin.

This is funny.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 10:14:32 AM »
How many modern individuals can be so self-deprecating about their golf game? I know when I am, I get comments from playing partners like "How could you say that?", or words to that affect.

There is a sense of realistic understanding in his approach, and then at the end of the article, when he gets all hopeful about an uphill lie, is just precious. It's what keeps many of us coming back and may be at the root of WHY the architecture and it's finer points are so very important to luring (and keeping) new blood into the sport.

Who hopes for an uphill lie on a course with flat fairways with nary a heroic carry?

p/s/ I honestly thought the thread was about me before I opened it.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:17:11 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom MacWood

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 07:59:48 AM »
I'm pretty certain the course BD is referring to is Aberdovey, his favoriate holiday course, and the top golfer is John Low, who Darwin often said was more interested in stylish shot-making than getting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back