News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Goldman

Sad News
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:00:03 PM »
Folks,

As many of you know, our friend and colleague Dan Moore very recently and suddenly lost his wife.  A number of us (unfortunately not including me) were at the service and learned what a lovely woman she was and of the happy and fulfilling time they had together with their children.  I know Dan would want to be in contact with each of his friends here (basically everyone on GCA who has had any contact with him).  He has been in contact with many of us, but hasn't been able to reach all.  He has therefore approved this short post to let everyone know.  Let us all remember him in our thoughts, share his and his family's deep sorrow, wish him the best, and welcome him back to GCA when it is time as our returning brother.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

Mark Chaplin

Re: Sad News
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 05:37:30 AM »
When I visited Chicago in 2008 Dan and Barbara took me into their family home for a week, Dan showing me the best of Chicago golf and the family including their son Greg introducing me to the city and baseball. Barb was a lovely lady and will be sorely missed by a loving family and friends. I feel honoured to have met her.

Dan is aware he and his family are in the thoughts and prayers of the 2009 Royal Cinque Ports tourists.
Cave Nil Vino

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 05:39:35 AM »
Very sad news indeed.

Dan, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ken Fry

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:58:46 AM »
Dan,

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ken

tlavin

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:21:47 AM »
Thanks, Jeff, for giving us a vehicle to express our sympathy.  Dan is a great guy and I really feel for him and his family at this most difficult time.  Loss is that part of life that everybody would love to avoid, but I know that Dan will be there for the rest of his family and do great honor to his wife's memory.

Peace, my friend.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:37:30 AM »
Sorry to hear about your loss, Dan.  You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 09:54:29 AM »
Terry,

Thank you for letting us know.
I'm very sorry to hear the news.

Our family sends out our thoughts to Dan and his family.

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 10:38:20 AM »
To the treehouse:

Jeff and I have been in contact for a few days via email, and I appreciate Jeff for posting this.

One of the great virtues of this site (perhaps its best one) is that allows folks to connect, through their love of the game, in ways they might not otherwise have ever done. Several recent threads have commented on this aspect of GCA, and one of my first connections to someone on this site was Dan Moore. Dan's love for all things Langford, and Wisconsin, and old golf architects is well-known to GCA regulars. He has a deep appreciation for the history of the game and its courses, and -- better yet -- a friendly eagerness to extend that knowledge to others. It's been my great fortune over the past several years to meet several new friends, and enjoy some wonderful golf, through connections initiated by Dan.

Although little known to the GCA crowd, Dan for the past few years has also organized a match-play fall tournament called the Brewski Cup that pits Illinos golfers against their northern Wisconsin brethren. This year (although the event was postponed due to an unlucky run of bad weather), Dan somehow managed to arrange the 36-hole Brewski Cup at Olympia Fields -- not a bad site for a friendly competition among boyhood chums and golfing friends. I think Dan just wanted to extoll the virtues of Park and Bendelow's work to a new group of architectural converts.

I was able to attend the service for Barbara in Chicago last month, and in the midst of much sorrow due to her unexpected passing, there were some laughs, much reminiscing, and a deep appreciation for a full life, well-lived, and dedicated in service to others. After the service, we gathered in the basement of the church, and after a meal, watched as young members of a Chicago ballet company performed to Tchaikovky's "The Nutcracker Suite" -- one of Barb's favorites.

Those inclined to do so may wish to donate to:

American Lutheran Church
2500 W. Wilson Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625-3026

Le Ballet Petit School of Dance
4630 North Francisco Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625-3723
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:04:58 PM by Phil McDade »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »
My thoughts and prayers are with Dan and his family.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 11:02:32 AM »
I am extremely sorry to hear this; I believe we have recently reached out to Dan to see if he would be interested in joining our USGA AA project as we view him to be an excellent and cooperative analyst and researcher on GCA.

My condolences, Dan.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »
Tragic news indeed.  I recently hosted Dan and a buddy of his, along with his kids, at a tailgate for the Northwestern vs. Wisconsin game.  They were even gracious enough to return to the tailgate for a postgame beverage after the Wildcat win (and accepting as required a portion of humble pie).  Dan is one of the truly great people that I have had the pleasure of meeting through this discussion group.  My thoughts and prayers go to him and the kids during what will be a difficult holiday season.

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »
Dan, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

J_ Crisham

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:12:40 PM »
Dan,  I am so sorry to have just learned of your loss- I shall keep you and your family in our prayers. I wish you well during this most difficult of times.          Wish you well,     Jack

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 08:18:07 PM »
I also wish to pass along my thoughts and prayers to Dan and his family. Thank you Jeff for posting this news so that the board can send their sympathies.

Dan spent a great deal of time and effort in helping me research the history of Flossmoor CC this past summer and I have enjoyed getting to know him on a personal basis.

I wish the best for Dan as he deals with this great loss.

Greg

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
Very sorry to hear about your loss Dan.
H.P.S.

Dan Moore

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »
Thank you to all who have posted or sent personal messages.  Its been tough losing a member of the family foursome, however the remaining three of us are now closer than ever.  My wife was the consumate giver, always doing for others rather than herself, and I am fortunate she gave me 30 years of great memories, some wonderful family traditions that will keep her memory alive (assuming I can figure out how to hang all the Christmas lights around here :-)  and my two great kids, my wife's best gift all all.  Golf will no doubt be a refuge over the next year and I look forward to reconnecting on the golf course in the Spring.  Best wishes to all for a healthy and happy holiday season. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

JR Potts

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Dan :

My sincere condolences.  It was a gift to spend your time with such a kind person.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 08:44:20 PM »
Dan,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Mike

Andy Troeger

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 08:55:15 PM »
Dan,
Very sorry for your loss--my prayers are with you and your family as well.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 05:44:53 PM »
Dan,
     My thoughts and prayers are with you and your children.
Tim
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back