News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: What is your top 3 of Narrow Golf holes?
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2009, 01:14:28 PM »
I'm astonished not to see the 4th at Rye get a mention here.  Surely the narrowest fairway on a really good hole anywhere?

Mark, you beat me to it.  As I scrolled down this thread, all I was thinking was "Rye #4"...

The golf hole isn't narrow, just the fairway.  There's no OB, no water hazards, no overhanging trees.  Just a ribbon of fairway and a whole lot of daunting rough and wind.  But those don't make the entire golf hole narrow.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »
I'm astonished not to see the 4th at Rye get a mention here.  Surely the narrowest fairway on a really good hole anywhere?

Mark, you beat me to it.  As I scrolled down this thread, all I was thinking was "Rye #4"...

The golf hole isn't narrow, just the fairway.  There's no OB, no water hazards, no overhanging trees.  Just a ribbon of fairway and a whole lot of daunting rough and wind.  But those don't make the entire golf hole narrow.
We'll have to disagree.  The playing corridor is as narrow as anywhere.  Miss the fairway and you're in trouble and it may well be 15 yards wide.  The fact that it is playable and doesn't need trees or water to make it daunting is what makes it a good hole, unlike some of the photos of tree constricted nightmares in this thread.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »
I wouldn't call it a top hole, but the 1st at Valderrama certainly is very narrow (as indeed is a lot of the course).

You can be in the fairway on the 1st and not be able to go for the green thanks to overhanging trees. The green is also surrounded by overhanging trees.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2009, 08:30:52 PM »
The 9th at Butler National is pretty tight and all uphill. Miss the fairway and you won't be getting home in 2. Played at about 450 yds with not much roll. May be the hardest hole on the front 9 at Butler.           Jack

Andy Troeger

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2009, 09:37:27 PM »
I also should add #7 at Sherwood to the list, great short par five. #18 is a nice finisher as well, although definitely narrow!

Sean Leary

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »
All 27 at Sahalee..

Sean,
Going to have to disagree with you there...I can think of a few holes that I really disliked at Sahalee due to the narrow factor and perhaps a few that I thought were good, but definitely nothing deserving to be called great. How it makes the GD 100 Greatest is beyond me.

Tongue was planted in cheek, Andy... :)

Andy Troeger

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2009, 09:55:30 PM »
Sean,
I was kind of wondering--evidently somebody out there likes it!

Sean Leary

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »
Sean,

I like it but it isn't close to top 100.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2009, 10:06:40 PM »
Sean,

Best Ted Robinson design that I've seen!  ;)

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2009, 02:12:05 PM »

Here's one of the narrowest holes in the Twin Cities metro area: Number 2 at Bristol Ridge in Somerset, Wis. (just across the St. Croix River from Minnesota). A butt-puckering tee shot that always has me reachng for an iron off the tee. This view is from the green; from the tee, all you see is a chute between the trees, and sky off in the distance. The green is elevated and sloped severely back to front, so even a successful tee shot doesn't mean your work is over. It would be nice to go at it with a wedge, but that would mean a long drive, and that would mean at least a three-wood off the tee, and that would mean...
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Bill_McBride

« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
Sean,

Best Ted Robinson design that I've seen!  ;)

Better than Tokatee?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »
Bill,
Its better than Inn of the Mountain Gods. Those are the only two in the category for me  :D

Matt MacIver

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2009, 07:59:06 PM »
Does Bandon #5 qualify?  The last 150 yardss seem like a ribbon, and the first part is a split fairway.

Bandon #5 was the first I thought of...that tight greensite might be one of my favorite at the resort. 

Kiawah TOC #12 also has a pretty tight greensite, although the driving area is fairly wide.  Both these greens favor low runners in to them.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back