News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: What is your top 3 of Narrow Golf holes?
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 05:07:01 AM »
I'm not sure I would call it the "best" hole but The Island 14th must surely be the narrowest...

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 05:40:54 AM »
In no particular order
14th at Saunton East appropriately called the Narrows
9th at Enniscrone
3rd at Tenby

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 06:10:56 AM »
I'm astonished not to see the 4th at Rye get a mention here.  Surely the narrowest fairway on a really good hole anywhere?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 07:05:19 AM »
Two holes come to mind; both are par-5s. The 15th at Harbor Town is quite narrow from tee to green, and the idea is to set up the best possible 3rd shot. The 1st at Tobacco Road has the narrowest gap (between two huge hills) I know of on a hole of its length, but otherwise is fairly open.

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 07:05:42 AM »
Hello Christian,

The  14 th at the  Royal Haagsche is visually narrow from the tee. But when you get down to the fairway there is plenty of room to bail out to the right and the fairway is built in a little valley so everything funnels into the middle.
It doesn't play as tough as it looks!
That's what makes it a great hole, options of the tee, the more you dare to take it down the left side the easier the second shot!

If you want to look at narrow holes in Holland, 9th at Naardenbos and the 12th at De Peelse are both ridiculous.

Andrew

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 08:56:06 AM »
I'm astonished not to see the 4th at Rye get a mention here.  Surely the narrowest fairway on a really good hole anywhere?

I think people think of narrow as tree-lined, but you are right, this is an incredibly narrow fairway up on that hogsback.  Death awaits left, mere aggravation right.  In a strong cross wind it's got to be a bugger.

Jason Topp

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 03:20:53 PM »
4 at Lahinch

13 at Harbor Town?

11 at Westwood in Newton, Iowa - double fairway (both narrow) around a creek that then wraps around the green.  Very intimidating but requires a lot of thought off the tee and with the 2nd (or third) if out of position.  That hole was my source of golf balls when in elementary school.

Ed Oden

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 05:21:12 PM »
I can think of a number of holes that are very good in spite narrowness but none that are very good because of narrowness.  Even those that I think work well could almost always be improved if more width were available.  Obviously, that isn't always an option.

One of my favorite narrow holes is #15 at Grandfather, a relatively short par 4.  The tee shot is constrained by creeks long and left and by trees on the right, which are accentuated by a subtle bend to the left.  At its narrowest, the fairway is about 25 yards and the corridor from left hazard to right trees about 35 yards.  The landing zone widens slightly closer to the crossing hazard, but its a gutsy move to attack that area.  While there are plenty of options off the tee (I've played everything from driver to 3-iron), there is really only one strategy: FIND THE FAIRWAY!

That's because the hole is defined not by the narrowness of the tee shot, but rather by a tricky approach and a superb bunkerless crowned green, both of which have a simple beauty that hides the treachery that lies within.

One of the best holes on an outstanding course.

Ed

jonathan_becker

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 06:34:24 PM »
Kemper lakes 12th, Butler #9 immediately come to mind.

The old #5 at Pebble Beach

Butler #9 is a perfect example.  Once you miss the fw on either side, it's sometimes impossible to get the ball back in play.  I've seen tons of 6s made on that hole with missing the fw by just a few yards.

Chris Ord

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 06:43:17 PM »
i'm a big fan of the 7th at Pasatiempo.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 07:19:57 PM »
12 at The Cascades is an incredible golf hole and is quite narrow.

WW

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »

Chris, you might be the only one.  It actually plays narrower than it looks because of the reach of those cypress tree branches!

Jed Peters

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 08:59:44 PM »

Chris, you might be the only one. 

Touche.

Worst hole on the course, bar none. Actually, only "bad" hole ON the course.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2009, 01:31:20 AM »

Touche.

The green complex is nice... but the first 300 yards or so are certainly no longer up to snuff.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2009, 07:10:40 AM »
Middlebury College in Vermont has a golf course called Ralph Myhre.  It is 18 holes and has no pedigree, unlike other northeastern college courses at Colgate, Yale, Williams and Cornell.  It does have two good narrow holes, neither one made so by trees.They are narrow both horizontally and vertically.  One can be putted from tee to green while the other requires a carry for the second shot.  If memory serves, they are numbers 3 and 15, both short par fours.  Both are doglegs right, but the point of turn is quite different for each.  The 3rd turns far down the fairway, less than 100 yards from the green.  15 turns much earlier, probably about 150 yards out.  Come to think of it, 13 is another good one...

Anyway, these holes are made narrow by the location of the course on an angular "slope of the mountain" piece of property.  Overhanging trees come into play on a fair number of holes on the course, but not these three. 
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John_Cullum

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2009, 09:06:19 AM »
I agree with Jason on the 13th at Harbourtown. 15 is pretty manageable
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jim Thompson

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2009, 10:51:47 AM »
#5 on the Reverse Jans has to receive some consideration... ;)
Jim Thompson

Carl Nichols

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »
There's a short par 4 on the back nine at Hanover Country Club in Hanover, NH, where (IIRC) the 2nd shot had to be threaded through a narrow gap between pine trees to a green about 30' below the fairway that fell away into the woods on at least two sides.  Not a great hole, but certainly a narrow 2nd shot.  

I can't remember the hole number, but it's the one that we played right after crossing the road to pick up some "provisions" at Pat and Tony's.    

Greg Krueger

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2009, 11:26:51 AM »
I don't know if it qualifies as best, but how about #7 at Augusta National. Now that they made it a 460 yard hole and a driver or 3-wood is needed off the tee, it is pretty darn tight.

Matt Harrison

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »
#8 at Point O' Woods I think qualifies as both a good hole and pretty darn narrow
#14 at The Island, as already mentioned
#7 at Wolf Run, although I am not sure it is a great hole

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 10:38:38 PM »
#1 Prestwick
#4 Rye
#2 Bethpage Black

Will MacEwen

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 10:42:58 PM »
Does Bandon #5 qualify?  The last 150 yardss seem like a ribbon, and the first part is a split fairway.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 10:46:14 PM by Will MacEwen »

Mark Arata

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2009, 11:19:17 PM »
the 12th and 15th at Prairie Dunes........
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

CJ Carder

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »
I'd submit #8 at Sawgrass for consideration - definitely one of the tightest, LONG par 3's I've ever played.  Not to mention the green is just tiny.  The tee shot on #15 might also qualify for consideration, but once you get through the shoot, the rest of the hole is reasonably open.

The green on #4 at Spyglass is also really dicey.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2009, 01:12:03 PM »

Touche.

The green complex is nice... but the first 300 yards or so are certainly no longer up to snuff.

If there was a way to cut those trees back to the stumps, it would once again be a great hole.  Kyle's right, it's a terrific geen and surrounds.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back