News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Getting out of deep bunkers
« on: December 09, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »
Where are there cool examples of staircases, ladders, etc. to assist golfers with getting out of deep bunkers?

I have some good photos of staircases at Maidstone and NGLA. Can you think of any other good examples? Photos?
jeffmingay.com

Anthony Gray

Re: Getting out of deep bunkers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:58:25 PM »

Jeff,

This thread has great potential. Please post some of your photos.

Anthony

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »
Pete Dye used a bunch on the original at Blackwolf Run. My favorite is on hole # 6 the current 16th called Sandy Pit. I found this photo on flckr and I think this is the bunker. In the photo you can see what looks like a small set of stairs. You can see the person and how deep that bunker is from the fairway side. The staircase going into it fro that side is long.

Found it from the better angle at the Kholer website.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:21:24 PM »
No photos, unfortunately, but I recall there are some stairs leading down to the fairway bunker on the left side of hole #1 at The Ocean Course @ Kiawah.

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 04:26:19 PM »
I don't have pictures handy, but Tobacco Road has some bunkers with stairs and Tot Hill may too. I can't think of any other courses that I've played recently that have stairs. (PGA Dye might have them, but I'm not sure)

George_Bahto

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 04:32:06 PM »
We have a great set at Old Macdonald coming out of Hell !!!

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 04:43:21 PM »
Sorry again for the lack of photos, but Secession Club in Beaufort, SC has 3 such examples.

Left of the green on #4

Back of the green on #6

Left of the green on #12

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »
"Re: Getting out of deep bunkers"

I was really interested in this thread until I saw it was about steps, etc.

I thought it might be something to help me solve the problem I couldn't last time at the Old Course in St Andrews - how to get out of the deep bunkers at #8 (Short Hole bunker) and #11 (Strath Bunker  :o ).

After a couple of unsuccessful whacks toward the flag at each, I pitched out sideways and made 6 on both those pa4 3s.  Aaaargghhhh,
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:53:50 PM by Bill_McBride »

Eric Smith

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:53:43 PM by Eric Smith »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 04:52:59 PM »

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 04:53:36 PM »
GeorgeB:

Is Old Macdonald planning on maintaining that enormous bunker with those sleepers always visible as they are in that photo you posted?

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 04:55:55 PM »
No photos, unfortunately, but I recall there are some stairs leading down to the fairway bunker on the left side of hole #1 at The Ocean Course @ Kiawah.

We have stairs on the cross bunker on No. 2, stairs on the bunker on the left side of Nos. 3, 6 and 7.  I believe there's stairs out of the pot bunker behind No. 9.  There's stairs on the bunker on the right of No. 11.  Stairs on the greenside bunker on the left of Nos. 14, 15 and 16 as well as the bunker on the right of No. 16.  I think that's it on The Ocean Course...

George_Bahto

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 04:59:31 PM »
GeorgeB:

Is Old Macdonald planning on maintaining that enormous bunker with those sleepers always visible as they are in that photo you posted?

that was, of course, a construction pic - but the answer to your question os YES

what was interesting was the the first set of sleepes put in were all new timber but after some thought it was decided  to put used sleepers in - they look great ...

also sleepers on a bunker over the Alps hill/mountain and another on the left (option) leg of the the Littlestone hole (Lido 4th - Channel) - just enuf, not to be overdone
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 05:03:11 PM »
GeorgeB:

that was, of course, a construction pic - but the answer to your question os YES

what was interesting was the the first set of sleepes put in were all new timber but after some thought it was decided  to put used sleepers in - they look great ...

also sleepers on a bunker over the Alps hill/mountain and another on the left (option) leg of the the Littlestone hole (Lido 4th - Channel) - just enuf, not to be overdone

George, we saw that Littlestone hole (#16) in September.  It is a wonderful long par 4, doglegging left around a very deep bunker, but the left "fairway" is now deep hay - as Mike Malone is probably trying to forget.   ;)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »
Jeff,

A great many, if not most of the deep bunkers at Garden City have steps/ladders to assist golfers in and out of the bunkers.

Some of the bunkers are so severely sloped that without ladders, you'd have to rappel down into the bunker with your wedge in one hand. ;D

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »

I thought it might be something to help me solve the problem I couldn't last time at the Old Course in St Andrews - how to get out of the deep bunkers at #8 (Short Hole bunker) and #11 (Strath Bunker  :o ).

After a couple of unsuccessful whacks toward the flag at each, I pitched out sideways and made 6 on both those pa4 3s.  Aaaargghhhh,

Bill, I admire your discipline.  When I found myself in Strath Bunker I am ashamed to admit I took about THIRTEEN whacks, plus a penalty stroke or two, attempting to extricate my ball from the chasm.  I went into something of a catatonic state, my body took over and my mind disengaged, much like a logger in his final frenzy trying to fell a tree.  Made an 18, all told, and then rolled in a crazy 40-footer on the next hole for birdie 3.  Fun game, wouldn't you agree?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 05:33:40 PM »

I thought it might be something to help me solve the problem I couldn't last time at the Old Course in St Andrews - how to get out of the deep bunkers at #8 (Short Hole bunker) and #11 (Strath Bunker  :o ).

After a couple of unsuccessful whacks toward the flag at each, I pitched out sideways and made 6 on both those pa4 3s.  Aaaargghhhh,

Bill, I admire your discipline.  When I found myself in Strath Bunker I am ashamed to admit I took about THIRTEEN whacks, plus a penalty stroke or two, attempting to extricate my ball from the chasm.  I went into something of a catatonic state, my body took over and my mind disengaged, much like a logger in his final frenzy trying to fell a tree.  Made an 18, all told, and then rolled in a crazy 40-footer on the next hole for birdie 3.  Fun game, wouldn't you agree?

What discipline?  My caddy, the redoubtable Bruce Sorley, said - twice - "Oh hell, Bill, just get the damned thing out of there!"

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 05:34:06 PM »
Quaker Ridge has stairs on 1 bunker... right green side on #1

Kiawah Mike - I love how the target for the tee shot on #1 is the stairs! What a great introduction of what is sure to come! One of the my caddies cracked up when I asked him how many people he has seen fall on the stairs throughout the course... they are tough to get down.

Do the stairs on #14 at Friars Head Count? There is a good picture in Ran's write up. http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/friars-head

Also Yale has a bunch of holes with stairs. Left green side on #2 may have the most steps I have ever seen, also Short #5. Pic is Ran's write up. http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/yale-university-golf-course-ct-usa

John Moore II

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 05:42:59 PM »
I wonder how many of these stairs are really 'required' and how many of them are put in place to funnel traffic into a certain space and eliminate wear and tear on bunker edges? Certainly the stairs on #9 at Tobacco Road are pretty much necessary for the hole to function, but others seem to be there more to direct people to a certain place rather than out of necessity.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 05:58:51 PM »
The second at Yale from a bit of a distance:

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »
Left side of #8 green, Yale. Deep, gotta be 15' or more below the green. 24 steps, and they could use another 6 or 8.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:01:44 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
The 16th at Ganton has a pretty deep cross bunker about 180ish from the tee. No steps though but it has come into play a couple of times due to a strong headwind.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 12:39:47 AM »
This picture always makes me smile - from Ran's review of Sand Hills.

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 11:55:01 AM »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 02:13:56 PM »
Thanks for the link, Andrew. Same to others who've posted info. and photos.
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back