News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

Torrey looses iconic tree
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:20:51 AM »
Here's a link to an article about the loss of the iconic Cypress tree behind the 6th green at the North Course.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/dec/09/1s9torrey/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:11:26 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

tlavin

Re: Torrey looses iconic tree
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:31:14 AM »
Not that I usually give a shite about a fallen tree, but this is a bummer.

Nick Asbrock

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:21 PM »
Even though it sucks to loose a piece of the course, I think it will make the hole better- better veiw of the ocean and green has no protection from the swirling winds anymore.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 02:47:54 PM »
I know one happy guy... the superintendent.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 02:58:01 PM »
Roger,

The superintendent is a girl. The tree is far enough in back of the green that it doesn't effect play, nor do I think it blocks the wind or sun from the green. It basically shields the view of the elevated 7th tee. It is truely a beautiful tree in an area where Cypress trees seldom grow; I suspect our climate is a bit too hot for them. Apparently it's gloomy enough in the Torrey Pines microclimate for that particular specimen to flourish.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:00:08 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

tlavin

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 03:24:32 PM »
I suspect our climate is a bit too hot for them.

Braggart.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 04:46:55 PM »
Roger,

The superintendent is a girl. The tree is far enough in back of the green that it doesn't effect play, nor do I think it blocks the wind or sun from the green. It basically shields the view of the elevated 7th tee. It is truely a beautiful tree in an area where Cypress trees seldom grow; I suspect our climate is a bit too hot for them. Apparently it's gloomy enough in the Torrey Pines microclimate for that particular specimen to flourish.

You want to hear something ironic... my wife... who is a superintendent... is also a girl!

To quote a USGA agronomist:

You never see grass on a tree farm.
You never see trees on a sod farm.
Nuff said.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 05:32:48 PM »
Roger,

I know what that USGA guy means, but man do I bristle at those cute, simplistic explanations. They don't really address the issue of shade on a golf course, do they? And the reason a sod farm doesn't have trees is a lot more encompassing than shade.

But anyway, I understand, but dislike that type of delivery of the message. Another one I despise is "they call them greens for a reason".

Ugh. We need to address things a bit more intelligently than that.

Joe

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 05:43:04 PM »
Roger,

I know what that USGA guy means, but man do I bristle at those cute, simplistic explanations. They don't really address the issue of shade on a golf course, do they? And the reason a sod farm doesn't have trees is a lot more encompassing than shade.

But anyway, I understand, but dislike that type of delivery of the message. Another one I despise is "they call them greens for a reason".

Joe

Didn't mean to offend anyone... I truly don't know anything about this specific tree... I just know of many golf holes and superintendent careers gone awry due to member/owner affinity for "iconic" trees.  The tree at Torrey in question is probably not one of these... I agree... but that view is going to be spectacular without that tree in the way.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 06:12:08 PM »
I'm know the tree is iconic and all....

But I've never really gotten why, its pretty much fugly if you ask me!!  ;D

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
Well, nobody fugging asked you! ::)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 06:57:39 PM »
Roger,

Joe

Didn't mean to offend anyone... I truly don't know anything about this specific tree... I just know of many golf holes and superintendent careers gone awry due to member/owner affinity for "iconic" trees.  The tree at Torrey in question is probably not one of these... I agree... but that view is going to be spectacular without that tree in the way.

Oh, don't worry...I'm not offended! I thought I would share my opinion of those USGA guy type phrases...that's all.

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:13:06 PM »
Better hole now

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 09:59:38 AM »
Well, nobody fugging asked you! ::)

Its nothing personal Pete, just wonderin'  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back