News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Re: Chambers Bay ........Hole 5
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 10:27:49 PM »
pretty flimsy arguments, fellas. :-\

it's a freeway down there....this is like the 8th hole at Bandon but without any of the cross bunkers adding interest.

furthermore, that little "road hole" bunker isn't all that deep...

honestly, am I to believe this is a difficult bunker to extricate oneself from?

a Devil's A-hole it is not.....Pine Valley nor Bandon Dunes version.  Calling it a "road hole" bunker is disingenuous. 

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Rob Rigg

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 10:51:18 PM »
I think the hole has some teeth, even with the original mowing pattern.

The bunker totally dictates play and you are approaching the green uphill from the fairway.

The original mowing pattern allowed you to try and place the ball to optimize what is usually a mid to long iron approach (into the wind).

The new mowing pattern forces you to the left which makes it really hard to fly the bunker and stick the ball on the greens because the uphill angle with a longer iron means the ball is decending at a flatter trajectory and rolling out.

Not the best hole on the course but definitely a challenge on the approach and putt (if you are on the wrong side of the green). It is not an easy par and often a bogey (at least from what I have seen watching groups play it over a couple of rounds).

Brent Carlson

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 01:39:58 AM »
The hole is not all world but it's pretty good.  Bomb it (it's long) off the team and choose the proper side.  The green complex has plenty of intrigue for the ground game.  I have seen everything from a 3 to a 7 on this hole.  The skyline green is the only one on the course; no chili available.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 11:18:36 AM »

it's a freeway down there....this is like the 8th hole at Bandon but without any of the cross bunkers adding interest.

a Devil's A-hole it is not.....Pine Valley nor Bandon Dunes version.  Calling it a "road hole" bunker is disingenuous. 

I would like to see that bunker more severe also. Good call Miike. I sated it is in road hole position..meaning its location to the green. But it would be cool if the bunker provided more of a challenge. The severe bunker that gets people talking is something that is missing at Chambers. This hole provides a great oppertunity for it.

Anthony

Jordan Wall

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »
The rough looks terrible.  I'm still having trouble picturing US Open fairways at Chambers Bay..

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 11:32:54 AM »
The rough looks terrible.  I'm still having trouble picturing US Open fairways at Chambers Bay..

I would like to see the rough made out of native grasses. It has a better look than  changing the mow line and can be more penel.

Anthony

Sean Leary

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 11:34:31 AM »
In person, the rough looks better than it does in this pic. I was surprised how OK it looked actually.

Tom Yost

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »

You have played the hole, right Michael ?

I'm not saying the comparison to the Road Hole or Devil's A-hole bunkers is correct, but I thought we were all in agreement that it is difficult to critique a hole based only on photographs.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 11:44:54 AM »

a Devil's A-hole it is not.....Pine Valley nor Bandon Dunes version.  Calling it a "road hole" bunker is disingenuous.  

I'm not saying the comparison to the Road Hole or Devil's A-hole bunkers is correct, but I thought we were all in agreement that it is difficult to critique a hole based only on photographs.

Yes, I have played Chambers Bay...twice now

Please don't get me wrong, Tom.  This is the essence of gca.com, discussing golf holes, their merits, etc...

Years ago we could debate this stuff without folks getting their panties ruffled. 

I think CB is tremendous.  I think Jay Blasi is a great guy.  I think some of the holes out there are spectacular, like 2, 3, 4, 6, 10, 11, 13 on in to the clubhouse.

But no golf course is off limits to critique...   

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:49:42 AM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom Yost

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »

Yes, I have played Chambers Bay...twice now

Please don't get me wrong, Tom.  This is the essence of gca.com, discussing golf holes, their merits, etc...

Years ago we could debate this stuff without folks getting their panties ruffled.  

I think CB is tremendous.  I think Jay Blasi is a great guy.  I think some of the holes out there are spectacular, like 2, 3, 4, 6, 10, 11, 13 on in to the clubhouse.

But no golf course is off limits to critique...    

Carry on then!   No worries!  

I fully admit my experience is limited.  But I'm the type that dislikes dissecting a course hole-by-hole.  For me, a course is greater than the sum of its parts and I think it's better that individual holes are examined in context.

As for the grow-in of the rough on this hole, my question - why?  The obvious answer, well they are prepping it for the US Open, that's what they do, grow the rough and shrink the fairways... etc, etc, blah, blah....   But WHY?   The USGA is already taking a chance bringing the Open to Chambers Bay, on a layout of this type and a course of such young age, untested and without history. Why not take a chance with letting the course play the way it was designed to be played instead of resorting the the mindset used on every other course even if those traditional courses are very different than Chambers?

Richard Choi

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2009, 02:08:03 PM »
I strongly disagree that this is an easy bunker.

First, the edges are frilly and uneven, you can have some very dicey lie or stance. Second, the green runs away from the bunker in all direction. It is not so bad when the greens are running slow (like it has since opening), but when it is fast, most of the front pin position will be very difficult to get close.

The bunker makes that hole and it is a kind of hole that you appreciate more and more every time you play for its subtle challenges.

It is definitely one of my favorite on the course (before the new mowing line).

David Botimer

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
I just played there last Friday and could have sworn my caddie said this hole was going to be played in the US Amateur to the green short and left, making it a driveable par 4.  Anyone else heard that?  It's 369 from the tips so with the big drop probably reachable by most of the kids.

Alex Miller

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 03:02:38 PM »
I've definitely heard that the green is going to be used for the Open.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of the approach into the short, left green?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 01:43:29 AM »
When playing a nassau with Anthony, I tried to convince him that he was to play to the short green, but he would have nothing of that, played to the proper green, and won the hole and the front 9, although I did win the back 9 and 18.

Dugger needs to understand that a hole can be great without it being the a facsimilie to the 16th at Bandon Dunes. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean Leary

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 10:46:22 AM »
Has anyone ever played the short left green? Has it ever been open?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back