News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Wagner

Changes at Sherwood
« on: December 01, 2009, 07:02:29 PM »
I was asked in another thread about setup changes for this year's Chevon...

There have been many improvements made for this year's tourney and perhaps the most significant was switching the mowers for our greens.  We went with Baroness LM18G mowers and it's made a noticeable difference on the smoothness of the roll on the green.  Their website is:  http://www.baroness.us/locator/regions/display/home

The mowers are only 18" wide so there is a little more labor but it's worth it because of the contours of our greens.  With our old wider mowers we were getting some slight scalping and in other spots grass that was slightly higher.  We now have a smoother and more consistent putting surface.

I was just at the practice green and the pros noticed the difference right away.

Our rough is more consistent from aeration and cutting trees back, the fairways are F&F also due to regular aeration and better water management, and our newish bunkers have had a year to settle and are very consistent.

The TW Foundation people have added more grandstands and more food options.  For example, we will have a Morton's Steakhouse tent this year featuring sandwiches and chili.  It will be interesting to see how the public responds to that one.

My predicted winner:  Graham McDowell.  He's playing very good golf and he's VERY excited to be here.

Deucie Bies

Re: Changes at Sherwood
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:11:51 PM »
I second the pick of GMac, assuming he is not too jetlagged from China.

Tom Yost

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:18:34 PM »
We saw the changes in progress to the bunkering on the par 3 third at the KP this spring.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 01:13:30 AM »
Peter, will you wear your Wisconsin cheesehead hat during the broadcast so I can pick you out when I'm watching.  That is unless everyone else is also wearing one, then just act normal and we'll know you're the one.   ;) ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 08:03:46 PM »
Peter, will you wear your Wisconsin cheesehead hat during the broadcast so I can pick you out when I'm watching.  That is unless everyone else is also wearing one, then just act normal and we'll know you're the one.   ;) ::) ;D

He will be the distinguished looking gentleman that will be giving the Sherwood promo statement on TV expressing how thankful they are to be able to support fine charity work through the tournament.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Peter Wagner

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:55:27 PM »

He will be the distinguished looking gentleman that will be giving the Sherwood promo statement on TV expressing how thankful they are to be able to support fine charity work through the tournament.

Thanks for rubbing that in Garland.  The best part of this year's tourney is seeing the same people that support the tour year in and year out.  TV guys, tour officials, volunteers, etc.  It's definitely a different tourney this year but it's fun to see some friends that only pass this way once a year.

Food sales are down but strangely alcohol sales are through the roof.   ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 02:11:44 AM »
Food sales are down but strangely alcohol sales are through the roof.   

So, that means you do have a number of Wisconsin people there who already left our winter wonderland early?

Kidding aside, you did a great job in the promo, and the course does look spectacular with TGC doing true HD.  They fudge on some tournaments and don't set out the HD cams but put the HD logo in the corner.   Im watching the replay late, now.  I hope the weekend is strong for the gate and TV share. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 03:23:19 AM »
Peter,

Were your prior mowers, walking or riding mowers ?

Peter Wagner

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 03:05:29 PM »
Peter,

Patrick,
Previous mowers were walk-behind Toro's on the greens and they were much wider.  The Baroness mowers are expensive but they're really good.  You can see the difference on TV when they show closeups from the right angle.  The difference in smoothness is dramatic and every member has commented on it.  We feel like we can dial in any speed and still maintain the same smoothness.

The down side is more labor expense because we're cutting with mowers that aren't as wide. 

- PW

Richard Choi

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
The course is looking pretty good on the TV. But as always, TV just does not do it justice as you cannot tell how much elevation changes there are. Even without Tiger, this is the first decent PGA field we have seen in many weeks. Nice diversion from football overload.

Tom Yost

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 07:58:49 PM »
Food sales are down but strangely alcohol sales are through the roof.   ;D

Watching on TV and I swear I saw someone in the gallery with a martini glass!  LOL, no plastic beer cups there at Sherwood    8)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 08:25:06 PM »
Peter,

Patrick,
Previous mowers were walk-behind Toro's on the greens and they were much wider.  The Baroness mowers are expensive but they're really good.  You can see the difference on TV when they show closeups from the right angle.  The difference in smoothness is dramatic and every member has commented on it.  We feel like we can dial in any speed and still maintain the same smoothness.

The down side is more labor expense because we're cutting with mowers that aren't as wide. 

Peter, was their any retraining of the maintainance crew required ?

Sometimes crews will attempt to speed up in order to make up the additional time it takes to mow a given green.

If the old mowers were 24", 30" or 36" it would seem as though the additional labor costs are 25 %, 40 % and 50 % greater when it comes to mowing the greens.

There's something special about perfect or near perfect putting surfaces.
I think it enhances the playing experience, and scoring.

Tom Yost

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 09:13:36 PM »
Graham McDowell in his Saturday post round interview said he hadn't putted on greens this good all year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back