News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tlavin

Who Plays Winter Golf?
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:23:55 PM »
No, this is not an invitation for you guys in Florida, Arizona, California or any other reasonable climate to brag up your winter weather.  Who among us in the colder climate region regularly plays golf no matter the weather/ground conditions?  I have a group of friends that plays pretty much every Sunday here in Chicago, no matter how cold or how much snow is on the ground.  We're supposed to get our first snow this week and I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

If you do play, are there limits?  What sort of equipment (clothing, shovel, broom does one need to have.  Frostbite???

Anthony Gray

Re: Who Plays Winter Golf?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:27:21 PM »

Those REVERSE JANS nutts.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 06:34:29 PM »
No, this is not an invitation for you guys in Florida, Arizona, California or any other reasonable climate to brag up your winter weather.  Who among us in the colder climate region regularly plays golf no matter the weather/ground conditions?  I have a group of friends that plays pretty much every Sunday here in Chicago, no matter how cold or how much snow is on the ground.  We're supposed to get our first snow this week and I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

If you do play, are there limits?  What sort of equipment (clothing, shovel, broom does one need to have.  Frostbite???

We used to play in Northern Virginia but that ain't Chicagoland!   :o ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:35:33 PM »
Terry I do play winter golf here in Utah when there isn't snow on the ground.  I won't say its often, but I will go twice per month if possible.

Here are my limits/conditions.

1)  It must be at least above 20 degrees, anything below that is just too cold.
2)  While I will play in breezy conditions, if its downright windy this is usually a no go as it just makes things too miserable.
3)  Frozen fairways are OK, but ice on greens just makes it too difficult for approaches and chips...fast and firm to the extreme.
4)  Mandatory hot chocolate or other hot beverage before 1st hole and 10 hole at turn.
5)  Winter wear usually includes winter gloves in between shots and at least 3 layers over the torso.
6)  Mandatory beanie/knit caps...its really not doable otherwise.
7)  Heated carts are nice, but not a necessity.

P.S.  I'm not sure how you can play when there is snow on the ground.  Even 2-3 inches is pretty impossible, even if you have colored balls, you can't find drives or most other shots unless the snow is virgin...and putting is a no go for obvious reasons.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:37:37 PM »
I used to play some of the publics here in Michigan in just about everything but snow on the ground. I don't really see how you can play with actual snow. There was one year I remember playing at least once in every month of the year. There are/were muni/publics that would allow play anytime the course was clear and reasonably firm. All the privates I have had any affiliation with in the area had restrictions on play.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:16:46 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 06:40:35 PM »
Terry I do play winter golf here in Utah when there isn't snow on the ground.  I won't say its often, but I will go twice per month if possible.

2)  While I will play in breezy conditions, if its downright windy this is usually a no go as it just makes things too miserable.
3)  Frozen fairways are OK, but ice on greens just makes it too difficult for approaches and chips...fast and firm to the extreme.
4)  Mandatory hot chocolate or other hot beverage before 1st hole and 10 hole at turn.
5)  Winter wear usually includes winter gloves in between shots and at least 3 layers over the torso.

P.S.  I'm not sure how you can play when there is snow on the ground.  Even 2-3 inches is pretty impossible, even if you have colored balls, you can't find drives or most other shots unless the snow is virgin...and putting is a no go for obvious reasons.

I've seen you violate at least 4 of those rules.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:44:21 PM »
We have one course in Calgary that opens up once in awhile in the winter, played on xmas eve one year, takes fast/firm to a whole new level, felt like I was playing on an runway

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 06:49:30 PM »

I've seen you violate at least 4 of those rules.

Shhh.....besides I was visiting from out of town so didn't have access to my normal cup of joe.   ;D

tlavin

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 07:21:57 PM »

That's the first time that I saw somebody use the term "colored balls" and "virgin" in the same sentence..."for obvious reasons"!!!!

JeffTodd

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »
I’m in southern NJ and until last January I had played golf in NJ for something like 72 consecutive months. I played on February 1st and did not get out in January this year, so the streak was broken I suppose. A few simple guidelines seem to work for me, but again, this ain’t Chicago.

1.   Layers are the key, and some of the new textiles, like Under Armor, really create a great base over which you can layer clothes without getting too bound.
2.   Walking is an absolute must and a great way to generate body heat. You will be amazed at how warm you can get when walking and carrying, even in very cold temps.
3.   Be sure to bring the clubs, shoes, and balls indoors the night before you play. Frozen shoes and frozen balls make for a tough start.
4.   Match play is the way to go since frozen fairways and greens can make for some ridiculous shots that make the scorecard moot.
5.   This is a good time to throw some of those low compression balls you found last summer into your bag.
6.   I don’t use winter gloves, but I do buy a standard golf glove for my right hand (I am right handed). Two gloves is the way to go.
7.   One of those pocket ball cleaners is good to have since there are no ball washers and the ball will get filthy. A wet towel will freeze and be of no use.
8.   A nip o’ scotch can’t hurt.

Like Kalen, below 20* or too much wind can be a real drag. Playing in snow is interesting, but really only possible in freshly fallen (or falling) powder that barely covers the ground. One of my great golf moments was chipping in a ball for a par from just off the green, and an 89, in my lone and last attempt at breaking 90 in the snow. Chipping in is, of course, the only option since the ball cannot roll in snow for more than a foot or two. Yes, I played winter rules.

Winter golf is one of my true loves. I do not envy those in warmer climates because they do not get to enjoy the blissful solitude of having a course to yourself and your partners, having a match at whatever pace you wish, or even playing the course backwards.  ;)

Will MacEwen

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 07:58:06 PM »
I play in wet winters on Vancouver Island.

longjohns, touque, often short sleeves.  I need the new Nike Bandon boots.  Cheap balls.

With the days so short, it is usually just nine holes.  Pretty much play the ball down, but sometimes it is just too sloppy to do so.  Match play style, keep it moving.

Similar to what Jeff said, there is a certain joy to the experience.  The damp winter air here is invigorating, and it is more fun than walking the dog - and provides an excuse for a beer during the Habs game once darkness falls.

I am thinking about a Sunday bag and only carrying half the clubs.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 08:12:04 PM »
I play year round in Virginia. If it's dry, I'm a fan of dormant bermuda.

The VSGA has converted to year round active score reporting for handicap purposes this year.

JeffTodd

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »
I play year round in Virginia. If it's dry, I'm a fan of dormant bermuda.

I just spent last week in Hilton Head and the best (most fun) surface I played on was on an off-island course that does not overseed and just lets the bermuda go brown. Of the three courses I played it was the only one where I felt like playing the ball down was not an issue. The other two courses still had new grass (I presume rye) sprouting and were not really ready for prime time.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 08:55:58 PM »
Wind rather than cold knocks me out. I was in Atlantic City over the weekend for a hoop tournament and wanted to finally play Brigantine Golf Links on Saturday morning while my son slept in, but 35 MPH wind killed that idea.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 08:58:56 PM »
Terry, I have a cart heater (fits in cup holder) and cover that you can borrow.  We play any time the course is open and they're letting us take carts out.  Anybody can unzip, jump out and hit a shot, and jump back in.  Drives are tough if you've got a slowpoke in the group.

Playing on frozen turf can be a ton of fun.  Bounces like links golf X ten!  Putting over icy greens can be a challenge. . .

And Mr. Gray, based upon what I've seen on this site you have a lot of nerve calling the denizens of the Honorable Company of Reverse Jans Golfers "nutts."

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »
Wind rather than cold knocks me out. I was in Atlantic City over the weekend for a hoop tournament and wanted to finally play Brigantine Golf Links on Saturday morning while my son slept in, but 35 MPH wind killed that idea.

Darn, Mike, you could have joined me Sunday morning at Atlantic City CC!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 09:02:59 PM »

Darn, Mike, you could have joined me Sunday morning at Atlantic City CC!

I was back in CT by then and Jim Kennedy pulled the pins on me at Hotchkiss.  :'(

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
Terry,
Didn't Marshall Field play every day year round at Chicago Golf, then die of the flu? I'll play if it's 40 and dry, that's my limit.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ron Farris

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »
In the Black Hills of South Dakota we play golf almost every month. Of course one must have desire, proper gear, and a course that does not cover their greens. 

The picture is my son.  We had a foursome playing in November.
The golf pro at one of the clubs played 26 times in February one year.
Of course we have had snow here every month except August.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »
A)  I just bought a Ping Moon-Lite 2 bag just for this purpose.

B)  In Buffalo, we get a snowless winter once a decade; this might be the one (especially since I just bought a new Cub Cadet snow tosser....Murphy's Law, Don't Ya' Know!)

C)  I post every damned score I can.  I figure that my handicap ought to reflect my play in all conditions.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

PThomas

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »
wont play with snow on the ground, and gotta be at least around 30 degrees
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 10:30:54 PM »
Terry,

Get yourself one of those snow boarder hats. You'll be good to go as far as headwear is concerned.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 10:43:06 PM »
We used to play anytime that there wasn't a lot of snow on the ground.  Occasionally you'd have some on the back side of mounds or in the shadows of trees where the sun wouldn't hit it.  Plays a lot like a sand shot.  Since then I have moved south and will never spend another winter in the north again if I can help it.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 11:16:07 PM »
If you walk and wear a hat it is amazing how fast your body can warm up even when it is just north of freezing (which is my threshold).

The new Nike Bandons are great for wet/cold golf - I highly recommend them.

As mentioned, layering is also a great way to go - especially a thermal base, then fleece, then wind jacket - plus gloves you can put on and take off as needed (if it is really cold).

I am a strong believer that the minimalist club concept is the way to go all year round, but especially in the winter - 10 clubs max, keep your bag as light as possible, and enjoy!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 03:40:31 AM »
I agree with Jeff Todd frozen balls are a no no. I keep them nice and warm by rubbing then vigourously at every opportunity!

Seriously always have 2 balls and change them around each hole keeping the spare in your pocket. They do seem to fly a little more doing this.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back