News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

noonan

Sawgrass
« on: November 29, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »
Played Sawgrass Friday and Saturday.

Some general observations:
1. The course is easily walkable....there are only a couple tee boxes that require a hike from the previous green
2. I though it had solid "modern" features
3. It can be scored upon....a member of the group had 11 birdies over 2 rounds from the 6500 yard tees
4. It appeared to be tighter off the tee than what it actually was
5. In my opinion....the trees could use a tri,
6. The island green was small than it appears on TV
7. The greens while being prolly 8 or 9 on the stimp rolled as good as any bermuda greens I have played on

It was an enjoyable course to play but it would not be one I would want to play every day due to its penal nature around the greens.

Mac Plumart

Re: Sawgrass
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 06:51:41 PM »
Jerry...

what was your favorite hole?

I just played it a week or so ago and my memories are still fresh.

any thoughts on the tree protecting the green on 16?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

noonan

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »
My favorite hole was 11. The approach shot had to be spot on. If you hit your drive good I think the left side was best to approach from.

Visually 15 from the tee box was awesome!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »
15 at Sawgrass...agreed...stunning and a little intimidating!!

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

noonan

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 08:08:37 PM »
Dye's valley was less forgiving off the tee. There were many holes on the stadium course where bunkers stopped errant shots before they would enter a water hazard.

On the stadium 1 and 2 were both intimidating tee shots.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:14:54 PM »

Jerry,

I would agree with your observations. .... I was expecting the green at 17 to be in the middle of the lake,but was surprised at how close it was to the bank.

Anthony

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »
Played Sawgrass Friday and Saturday.

Some general observations:
1. The course is easily walkable....there are only a couple tee boxes that require a hike from the previous green
2. I though it had solid "modern" features
3. It can be scored upon....a member of the group had 11 birdies over 2 rounds from the 6500 yard tees
4. It appeared to be tighter off the tee than what it actually was
5. In my opinion....the trees could use a tri,
6. The island green was small than it appears on TV
7. The greens while being prolly 8 or 9 on the stimp rolled as good as any bermuda greens I have played on

It was an enjoyable course to play but it would not be one I would want to play every day due to its penal nature around the greens.

Wonderful place isn't it?  Sometimes the strategies go underrated.  dye told me two of his fave holes are 14-15...alternate shot patterns...one is draw, then fade, the other is fade then draw.  Keeping ou off balance the whole round is one of his goals.

What did you think of the new clubhouse?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

noonan

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 07:13:21 PM »
The clubhouse was awesome.
The sketches of the 17th and other memorabilia of the tour and the Presidents Cup was very interesting.
My guess is the Mediterranean style clubhouse goes with the history of the area better than the modern clubhouse.
Coming down 9 and 18 the clubhouse is very stately perched up on the hill.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back