News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Pimp my course
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:17:44 PM »
Joe Hancock stayed at the house one nite last week on way to the Dixie Cup and we spent the day riding golf courses etc.  I was bitching about the "edges and how much money is spent on maintenance today that was never considered just 20 years ago....AND Joe mentioned the pimping of so many supts today.....not to condemn the supt for such but we are coming into times when much of this stuff will be eliminated when it can and in many of the courses where pimping is built into the design...who know what will happen....
Anyway...give me some pimping examples that can go away....Il start.

painted cup edges
bunker irrigation heads
landscaped ball washer complexes
green colored sand for divot fill
walked mowed tee stripes centered on tee and shaded symetrically to the edges
walked mowed approaches
$50 yard bunker sand

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Anthony Gray

Re: Pimp my course
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »

GPS on the carts.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:27:02 PM »
Overseeding when not necessary..........

is it ever necessary?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »
Flower Beds..
Ferterlized off courses areas
Watered off-course areas

Peter Galea

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:33 PM »
I too hated painted cup edges.....till I started doing it.
On soil greens and poa annua, the cups hold there edge all day,
even with seniors digging their ball out with putter heads.
To me it's not overkill and worth the $4 in paint each day and
extra 3 minutes labor per green.
"chief sherpa"

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:40:05 PM »
WELL PETER YOU KNOW BETTER THAN I....JUST DON'T USE THAT LITTLE PLASTC LINER ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »

GPS on the carts.

Anthony

LOOK ELVIS...CRAP ON GOLF CART SIS NOT ON THE GOLF COURSE.....

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 08:42:16 PM »
Mike

Removing motors from carts, then modify the carts so they use peddle power – very Green and eco friendly but a little anti modern golfer. Just watch and  see how quickly the revolution to get back to walking thus minimising maintenance cost re carts and tracks..

Is this what you mean by pimping? Or have I got it wrong again

Melvyn
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:44:30 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »

Mulch anywhere >20' from the clubhouse
Courses with $2.5 million irigation systems that handwater regularly
Extensive use of sod on new construction rather than seed
Dew paths
PV1 practice balls piled in pyramids
Coolers of chilled bottled water on the course
Small towles on each cart
And my all time favorite caddies in white jump suits
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 09:31:36 PM »
Mike Trenham,

The chilled bottled water is usually the result of a desire to lose liability in case someone gets sick from a water cooler.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 09:38:23 PM »
Perfectly manicured out of play areas.
Edged grass along cart paths.
Ornamental flowers.

Tim

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 09:40:23 PM »
Mike Trenham,

The chilled bottled water is usually the result of a desire to lose liability in case someone gets sick from a water cooler.

What ever happened to running potable waterlines to spots in the middle of each nine and the halfway house for regular old water fountains?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 09:44:37 PM »
Mike Trenham,

What ever happened to running potable waterlines to spots in the middle of each nine and the halfway house for regular old water fountains?

More pimping then... there'd be flower gardens around the fountains. ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 10:27:06 PM »

OK Master Mike,

How about not watering the fairways...........Let the wheather be a factor as how the course plays pimp.

Anthony

Randy Thompson

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 10:55:40 PM »
Hand mowed approaches

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 11:14:53 PM »
Green speeds measured to the half-foot and posted daily in the pro shop.

Closing certain courses every Monday for maintenance?

Rangers at resort courses.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Eric Morrison

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 06:14:16 AM »
line trimming in the woods
raking bunkers daily
It is what it is.

Steve Okula

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 06:47:01 AM »
Collecting fairway clippings after mowing.

Daily raking of bunkers, by hand or machine.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Steve Lang

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 07:30:16 AM »
Mel,

If you were going to pimp that ride you'd add 12 speed derailer, titanium brakes and rims,  metal flake paint, new chromed parts, new stereo-cd-dvd-mp3-bluetooth-Xbox or equivalent iwth subwoofers and definitely gps+netbook connected to 20" LCD screen..  you'd never have to leave the garage to play virtual golf
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

JSPayne

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 08:39:54 AM »
Wow.....sorry to burst everyone's fun bubble here, but I'm amazed at how ignorant some of the ideas of "pimping" are on this thread as they pertain to effective golf course maintenance. Allow me to just expound on a few as part of yet another opportunity to educate the golfing public:

Bunker irrigation heads - when designed effectively, help to substaintially save on both water costs and manual labor that would otherwise be needed to put irrigation vital to the plants basic health and survival in areas where slope, infiltration and runoff are huge issues. More often than not, this type of irrigation is not there to "keep the grass green" as much as to use the most efficient method of irrigating the grass enough to make sure the noses, fingers, surrounds, etc don't turn into dirt or, conversely, have to flood the bunker just to keep the grass around it alive

Landscaped ball washer complexs - I'd prefer to just have the ball washers on the carts, but since most don't like carts, if you're going to have them on the course, might as well isolate them without grass underneath to maintain. I put decompsed granite around my ballwasher areas (not landscape plants) because before we had it, mowers had to stop their machines, get off and move the ball washer or if it was permanently there we had to send a guy later to eventually weedeat down the foot tall grass around it that the mower could get to. The "landscaping" saves on labor time and overall asthetic without any added attention needed to keep grass or plants alive in a tricky area.

Walk-mowed approaches - Funny this should be on there with a bunch of "better" golfers participating. Walk mowing will almost always give you a better quality cut, at lower heights, enabling those wild and excitingly undulating greens surrounds to play firm, fast, true and smooth to be able to have options between using the putter and other clubs. Also, many approaches/surrounds that do have significant mounding/undulations may be very difficult if not impossible to mow with any other larger mower without scalping all the little hills and missing the cut in the tiny valleys. More often than not, hand mowing in these areas is for logistics and playability, not aesthetics.

Bottled water on the course - Kyle Harris already hit this on the head.....if golfers weren't so sue happy, it wouldn't be necessary. Often it's not a "pimped" perk, it's a required mandate to avoid lawsuits about drinking water availability and contamination. Drinking fountains pose the same problem....all it takes is one person to claim they got sick from drinking the water on the course.....

Courses with $2.5 million irrigation systems that handwater regularly - I don't care how much your irrigation system costs, the best efficiency you're going to get with JUST sprinklers on any golf course is no better than 80%. As such, handwatering is ALWAYS necessary. Would you rather turn on a sprinkler with a 60 foot radius putting out 25 gallons per minute to water a 2x2 bone dry area, or just use a hose to put the necessary couple gallons EXACTLY where it needs to go? Every super who's installed a new irrigation system, which usually saves their club THOUSANDS in saved water costs, repair materials and labor hours, has to deal with morons who just don't get why it's still necessary to water by hand. (Sorry for the name-calling, but this is a particular pet peeve of mine.)

I'd love to hear from the suggestors of these ideas after they play a golf course that has dirt around every bunker, foot high grass around the ball washers (or no ball washers at all), approaches with horribly inconsistant heights of cut and quality, no drinking water, and spattered areas of rock hard dirt next to mushy bogs due to only irrigating with sprinklers.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 08:42:32 AM »

Peter,

I live in FL and if the cups are not painted, the hole breaks down much quicker.  In addition, it can be difficult to see the hole clearly (even from 200 feet) as the bermuda starts to brown this time of year.  I'm a huge fan of the painted cup.  

I like the fact that you've broken down the time of the extra labor involved.  I've had an ongoing conversation with my super and GM regarding the idea of moving to a daily pinsheet.  Currently, we have the red, white, blue flag posiitioning system.  We have very small greens, so the pinnable locations tend to be pretty monotonous.  My contention is to have a new pinsheet 6 days a week.  How much extra stress/time would this put on the crew?

Thanks,

Ben

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 08:47:45 AM »
   Thanks, senor Payne.  I get so tired of the "minimalists" here who purport to prefer "natural golf" - no water, no maintenance, no carts, no nothing.  They are tiresome.

Tom Yost

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »

I'd love to hear from the suggestors of these ideas after they play a golf course that has dirt around every bunker, foot high grass around the ball washers (or no ball washers at all), approaches with horribly inconsistant heights of cut and quality, no drinking water, and spattered areas of rock hard dirt next to mushy bogs due to only irrigating with sprinklers.

As a lifelong muni rat, this sounds like most of the courses I'm familiar with.   :)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 09:28:24 AM »
This is how you pimp out a golf cart!!   ;D

Randy Thompson

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 07:28:29 AM »
RJ,
In relation to hand mowing approaches, I understand your points and arguements. What I do not understand is why to you mow these areas only, why should a miss hit shot Short have these added benifits. you miss hit by 8 yards and have a nice mowed approach. the pin is left, I hit the perfect distance pin high but two yards off the green and you have a better lie???? If you do it for the approach, maybe it would be fairer to do the entire surroundings! Triplex cut would be better than standard fairway cut,,why not mow the entire fairway with triplexes, or walking mowers cut better then triplexes so lets cut the entire fairway with walkers. Where does it end! In conclusions, whatever flips the members switch, if there willinjg to pay for it and like it...go for it! But it would never get my vote!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back