News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Kaebisch

RTJ Trail?
« on: October 26, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »
can anyone give me some insight on the RTJ Trail in Alabama?   what is good and where a good place to stay?

Jason Connor

Re: RTJ Trail?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 01:54:02 PM »
My favorite site is Grand National.  2 18-hole courses that are fun plus an 18-hole par 3 that's great to play.  Definitely my favorite site.

The par 3 has tees that allow any hole to range from about 100 yards to 200+. If you choose a set of tees (e.g. orange) the distances are a bit monotonous.  My favorite is to play a match and let the winner (or loser) or the previous hole choose the tee box for the next.  Or do a 6-6-6 where you have to play different tee boxes -- have some fun with it.  It's also the closest site to Atlanta's airport and an easy drive coming or going if you're flying in.

There are 3 regulation courses at Montgomery. The first time I played The Judge there, I thought it was super fun.  Each time since I've liked it less and less.

South of there in Greenville is Cambrian Ridge.  Some fun rolling terrain there.

For the money, it's a fun time. But no where will you get the architecture of courses typically discussed here. 

There aren't hotel right near many of the courses.  So you oftentimes end up in Comfort Inn's or the like a few miles away.  I don't have any particular recommendations.

There is a bizarre, but good, turkey restaurant in Greenville that's working checking out.

I remember stumbling across an all-you-can-eat BBQ place with dollar long necks in Opelika one night.  Don't remember the name, but it was this metalic diner looking shack on a main drag.  Not great, but it was the right price at the right time after a 54-hole day.

Opelika also has the most talented cart girls since it's the hometown of Auburn University.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:07:27 PM »
We had a fun time at Cambrian Ridge several years ago.  Three nines of varying character.  All were quite difficult.

It was in the middle of nowhere.  The best food was at the course and we stayed in a budget motel nearby.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 11:00:48 PM »
I have played most of the original RTJGT courses and none of the newer ones.  I concur with Jason that the Auburn/Opelika 18s are pretty solid.  The other thing nice about that course is it's just a couple of hours away from the Atlanta airport.  Good place to start or end the trip if you're coming into Atlanta.  I would also recommend the Ridge course in Birminham. Birmingham is also a good place to go because it's a larger population area and there are some good restaurants there.  The courses in Greenville are really fun, but it's really in the middle of nowhere.  I have always had fun there and agree that it's not typical GCA material, but still a good time and value.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:07:16 AM »
Agreed on Cambrian Ridge and Grand National, which I think are the most fun on the trail.  I would avoid the newer Prattville and Ross Bridge courses, they are penal and repetitive.  I also abhor the Mobile courses, akin to a trip to the dentist.

An out of the way option that has three very good nines is over in SE Alabama in Dothan.  This terrain is not as wild as some of the other courses which generally get the worst part of the property with the best going to real estate lots.

I like the small town courses on the trail because you can get some small town Southern flavor.  The first time I went to Greenville (Cambrian Ridge), there was only one restaurant in town that wasn't a chain burger joint.   We asked for the wine list  :o  and were told, "There's just one bottle left, and those folks over there are interested in it."   Needless to say we placed our order then and there!

Jason Connor

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 01:21:26 PM »
We asked for the wine list  :o  and were told, "There's just one bottle left, and those folks over there are interested in it."   Needless to say we placed our order then and there!

Bill, I think that was just good old Southern marketing!

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:23:45 PM »
We asked for the wine list  :o  and were told, "There's just one bottle left, and those folks over there are interested in it."   Needless to say we placed our order then and there!

Bill, I think that was just good old Southern marketing!

I dunno, everybody in the place looked a little strung out once that solo bottle was gone!

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:56:21 PM »
Another 'Bama nuance:  It's very hard to find an open restaurant on Sunday pm...

John Foley

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 11:21:49 PM »
I recommend the RTJ Trail to anyone who will listen to me. The courses at Grand National (Links, Lake & Par 3) are a lot of fun. The courses in Muscle Shoals (The Schoolmaker & Fightin Joe) we're good, but not great. The course in Huntsville was a pleasent suprise as I was not expecting much. Hitting the Dreamland BBQ was the highlight of the trip!!

The courses in Prattville (Senator & Legislator) we're solid though we did no play The Judge. We liked Cambrian Ridge in Greenville also, but not as much as the others.

For a value for the $ I would think it's second to none. The specails they run , the friendliness of the staff & the surrounding people.

It's not the Monterey Peninsula or Long Island, but as a destination for some solid, reasonably priced golf I would highly recommend it.

If you check the search out you'll find some more details also.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »
John, do you think part of the charge to the architect was to make the courses very difficult so guys from up north would go home and say, "Man, you ought to get your guys down there this winter, those are some tough ass courses!"?

John Foley

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 04:25:55 PM »
Bill,

At least for our group no. Sure the courses are tough, but we try & play from the correct set of tee's. In our repeatr rounds we've moved up or back so length in & of itself for the Trail hasn't been the calling. I would not say that for eeveryone as I know there are guys who say bring be those 7700 yards and let me get beaten up, it's just not the guiys I play with.

While the architecture will never be confused w/  Raynor or C&C, it has been enjoyable and as a vlaue, it's tough to beat.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back