News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

A friend of mine who is not a huge architecture head just got back from Mendakota.  I asked him how it was and all he could do was go all Cheech and Chong on me and say, "The Best Man."

I've heard a lot of people on the site say it's great and now you have me curious.  What's great about Mendy?

Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jason Topp

The course features a nice variety of holes with many short par fours and short par fives in the first 13 holes.  The final five holes are as difficult a stretch of closing holes as exists anywhere in the Twin Cities (14-18).

The course has undergone significant renovation in the last ten years.  Some will find the renovated features jarring as they look more modern than older portions of the course.  By all accounts, however, the modified course is a vast improvement over its prior version.

The club seems to have a vibrant membership that walks.

Mendakota hosted the Minnesota State Amateur Championship this year and proved an ample challenge to a quality field.  Here are some links:

MGA information including aerial:

http://www.mngolf.org/coursedetail.cfm?CourseID=243

Course description from website:

https://mendakotacc.memberstatements.com/tour/tours.cfm?tourid=14081

MGA coverage of the state Am this year.  Fermoyle's written accounts of the tournament usually give a decent description of how the course played.

http://www.mngolf.org/championshipdetail.cfm?tournamentID=189

Rick Shefchik

As I take myself mentally around Mendakota, I find it kind of amazing how many different styles of holes you find there. Part of the course seems a bit back and forth, with several straight holes that parallel each other and cross a deep gully, including two tough par 3s that are all carry. But there are also a couple of dogleg par 5s, one uphill, one down, that are a blast to play.

Then on the east end of the course you've got two new holes -- a par three with a very long, narrow green, water right and deep bunkers left (it's usually about a 9-iron, but you're really screwed if you miss the green) and a downhill par 4 where it's easy to get a tough fairway lie to a firm green that's hard to hold.

On the west side of the course, you've got the brutish finishing holes that Jason was talking about, and I'd say the tough stretch begins on 13, a tight dogleg right par 5 where you can easily knock it through the fairway and into trouble on either side; 14 is a long par 3 with a steep back-to-front sloping green that usually plays very firm, and creates tons of break; 15 is a severe dogleg right with water on the far side of the fairway and trees to clear if you try to cut the corner; 16 doglegs the other way, a true cape hole around water (it would be more fun if you could see your ball land -- if it lands -- but the lakeside reeds are pretty high by mid-season); 17 is a medium-length par 3 that's all carry over a big pond, with no bailout left; and 18 is an uphill par 4, dogleg left, where you have to place your drive between fairway bunkers on either side (or blast it over them, if you're really long), to have a decent shot at the green.

There are a lot of fun holes at Mendakota.  
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:34:43 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jay Flemma

any pix, guys?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jason Topp

any pix, guys?

Jay - I linked them for you.  I don't have any of my own.

Jeff Shelman

Wow, you don't come on here for a few hours and you can really miss some stuff. I'm not going to lie, but I didn't think I'd see the day when my club gets its own thread on here.

I appreciate all the kind words from Jay's buddy and some of the Twin Cities peeps on here.

I think that Mendakota is very good, but it isn't great. The changes have made it a much stronger course than ever before. It certainly isn't in the elite of Twin Cites clubs and doesn't have the history of some other places. But I do think that it is a much better course than some with more pedigree.

Over the past 12 or so years, almost every hole on the golf course has had some work done on it. Some were totally blown up and redone. Others were tweaked. The end result is a course that can stretch to 6950 and gives really good players all they want. You can play it up from there and have a great time. To score well, you better hit the ball in play off of the tee and play well on the par 3s. There are five par 3s and five par 5s on the course. The par 3s are all pretty challenging and range in distance from 140-195 from the white tees and 160 and 235 from the back tees.

I don't really have any pics, but will try to take some this weekend.

Jason posted a link to some pictures. Here is another link. These pictures are a little dated as the work on 13-17 had not been completed when these were taken. It also appears as if these go backwards from 18 to 1.

http://7minutemiles.com/v/golfing/minnesota-mz/mendakota

Overall, the club is made up of people who really love the game. A lot of walkers. Very few jerks. Very friendly club.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Jeff Shelman

One last item, there is a stretch of holes in the middle of the round 9-13 in which a good player can get some stuff done. Nine is a uphill par 5, 10 is a 310 yard par 4 that can be driven, 11 is only about 355 and 12 and 13 are par 5s.

From there, however, you need to hold on.

Writing for the MGA website, Mike Fermoyle, a very good player (multiple Minnesota amateur champion) called 14-18 "the toughest five-hole stretches of golf this side of Hazeltine National." I don't know how far off he is there.

Shane Wright

I would concur with this Jeff.  14-18 is a very tough stretch and great way to end the round.   

Mendakota is better than Raynor's Midland Hills. 

Jay, sorry, I don't have any pictures either, but I can say that Mendakota has the best set of par 5's of any of the courses I have played in the Twin Cities.  With the exception of #1 at Mendakota, I definitely like the part 5's better than Hazeltine's.  There are 2 or 3 REALLY good par 3's.  I believe it is hole #4 that is just an awesome par 3 that you have to be on the lower side of the hole.

Jay Flemma

Shane, I wasn't enamored of Hazeltine's par-5s either.  Rees is a good man, but I disagree with him that a great par-5 HAS to be a three-shotter.

Patrick Hodgdon

I played Mendakota for the first time this summer (sorry Jay no pics) and I enjoyed the round even though I didn't play very well. I agree with most of what has already been said. The par-5's are interesting (I wouldn't call them or Hazeltine's the best though) and as Rick said there are a lot of different types of holes that keep you interested. Overall I felt that it was a little tight for my personal taste as some holes felt a little claustrophobic off the tee. (That being said they definitely add to the difficulty.) I really liked the short par-3 #2, the par-5 #9 uphill, the downhill par-5 #12, and the par-4 cape hole #16. I thought #13, #14 #15 were very tough, and #'s 16, 17, 18 were more medium tough imo.

Both myself (10 Hcp) and my buddy who is a scratch enjoyed the round and would like to play it again as we both thought we could shave 5-10 strokes off having played it once before and knowing where to hit it off the tee is key on a number of holes at Mendakota.

Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Rick Shefchik

What are you talking about, Jay? I was standing 15 feet away from Padraig Harrington when he hit Hazeltine's 15th green with his second shot from a fairway bunker, 300 yards from the green. I think most of us have that shot.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jason Topp

I played Mendakota for the first time this summer (sorry Jay no pics) and I enjoyed the round even though I didn't play very well. I agree with most of what has already been said. The par-5's are interesting (I wouldn't call them or Hazeltine's the best though) and as Rick said there are a lot of different types of holes that keep you interested. Overall I felt that it was a little tight for my personal taste as some holes felt a little claustrophobic off the tee. (That being said they definitely add to the difficulty.) I really liked the short par-3 #2, the par-5 #9 uphill, the downhill par-5 #12, and the par-4 cape hole #16. I thought #13, #14 #15 were very tough, and #'s 16, 17, 18 were more medium tough imo.

Both myself (10 Hcp) and my buddy who is a scratch enjoyed the round and would like to play it again as we both thought we could shave 5-10 strokes off having played it once before and knowing where to hit it off the tee is key on a number of holes at Mendakota.

Patrick - do you think it is tighter than Interlachen?  I always think of Interlachen as extremely tight.

Shane Wright

5-10 strokes??  Wow.....let me know how that goes and what you drink that day.....I want some.

Patrick Hodgdon

It certainly felt that way but it may just be due to my comfort factor having walked/played Interlachen over 500 times and knowing how to play it after a miss.

I'd like to play Mendakota again having played it once and see if I enjoy it/appreciate it more.

5-10 strokes??  Wow.....let me know how that goes and what you drink that day.....I want some.

Well I did say I didn't play well that day first of all and course knowledge seemed a big factor on a couple of holes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:31:04 AM by Patrick Hodgdon »
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Jay Flemma

What are you talking about, Jay? I was standing 15 feet away from Padraig Harrington when he hit Hazeltine's 15th green with his second shot from a fairway bunker, 300 yards from the green. I think most of us have that shot.

Hysterical!  Yes, that was amazing.  Sadly, I was 15 feet away when he went to the 8th hole on Sunday.  Ugh.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back