News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Mayday, What Are Your Thoughts of Pennard?
« on: September 30, 2009, 05:13:31 AM »
Not long after being greeted by the most congenial pro in the business, Mayday met the cows.

I would like to know what you thought of Pennard.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  If you have anything else to say about other places - fire away.

Here are a few more pix to jar your memory.

Braid's - #14

Ciao

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:40:32 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Bill_McBride

Re: Mayday, What Are Your Thoughts of Pennard?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:00:34 AM »
Sean, if I could butt in quickly - what are your thoughts on the new #2 versus old #2?

And thanks for the photo of #16 - that really captures the glory of "The Links in the Sky!"

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:28:34 AM »
First of all, photos sure do flatten out golf courses. I have thought this was so when I have seen pictures of Rolling Green. #16 is much more downhill and undulating than shown in the picture. When you combine that with the severe right to left green it is an awesome hole. This was a hole where I had a good plan but bad execution. It seems like these courses do that to you so much.

Let's try to be negative first. I thought a couple of the par threes of 150 ish length did not allow for much space . They called for a straight shot.

My impression was that the course was the epitome of fun. I decided after Monday that I wasn't going to rank the courses I played because they had such distinctiveness. So, I wouldn't rank Pennard. But on the value scale of "do I want to go back to the first tee right away?" it was right up there.

The reason I would want to play a course again is because I expect a totally different experience the second time. If I feel that the experience will be similar than I don't want to go around again.

Pennard was a course where I never really thought about whether it was a par five 5 or a par 4. I was too busy trying to figure out where I wanted to hit it. Although there were 2 par 5's that required target tee shots.

If BUDA goes there I will do all I can to return.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:29:40 AM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 12:40:40 PM »
Mayday

"I thought a couple of the par threes of 150 ish length did not allow for much space . They called for a straight shot."

I am not sure what this means.  Could you elaborate?

"Pennard was a course where I never really thought about whether it was a par five 5 or a par 4. I was too busy trying to figure out where I wanted to hit it. Although there were 2 par 5's that required target tee shots."

This is an interesting take.  It suggests you were in survival mode. Personally, I think all of the holes are target golf - meaning there is an awful, poor, better and best place to be to approach. 

There are a few holes I haven't figured out yet; #s 7 and 14.  My instincts tell me that if the pin is up front to stay left off the tee and approach toward the #8 tee trying for a kick in, but I can't seem to get my eyes to confirm what my guts say - so I always end up bottom left with an awkward putt. So far as #14 goes, when its down wind with the hole up front, perhaps one must accept that the chip up the hill may not be any better than the aerial approach.

"If BUDA goes there I will do all I can to return."

I am happy to try and organize something, but I need whole-hearted support before I even venture into the game.

Bill

I think everything that has been done to #2 was a waste of time and money.  I don't understand the need to create a bowl green - the old hole was fine - nothing stellar, but quite interesting.  Plus, the green condition is worse than ever.

Ciao

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 02:02:20 PM »
That photo of #2 shows what I mean about narrowness on two of the par 3's. The slopes on both sides with that firmness tells me to just hit straight.
AKA Mayday

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 03:05:59 PM »
Mayday

"I thought a couple of the par threes of 150 ish length did not allow for much space . They called for a straight shot."

I am not sure what this means.  Could you elaborate?

"Pennard was a course where I never really thought about whether it was a par five 5 or a par 4. I was too busy trying to figure out where I wanted to hit it. Although there were 2 par 5's that required target tee shots."

This is an interesting take.  It suggests you were in survival mode. Personally, I think all of the holes are target golf - meaning there is an awful, poor, better and best place to be to approach. 

There are a few holes I haven't figured out yet; #s 7 and 14.  My instincts tell me that if the pin is up front to stay left off the tee and approach toward the #8 tee trying for a kick in, but I can't seem to get my eyes to confirm what my guts say - so I always end up bottom left with an awkward putt. So far as #14 goes, when its down wind with the hole up front, perhaps one must accept that the chip up the hill may not be any better than the aerial approach.

Is there a place earlier in the round where you can scope out the pin location on #7?  I'm not sure it would make any difference, as every shot I hit to that green and the one my wife hit all ran to the back right corner with a front pin.

"If BUDA goes there I will do all I can to return."

I am happy to try and organize something, but I need whole-hearted support before I even venture into the game.

Bill

I think everything that has been done to #2 was a waste of time and money.  I don't understand the need to create a bowl green - the old hole was fine - nothing stellar, but quite interesting.  Plus, the green condition is worse than ever.

I l only saw the old one but thought it a great green, very small and looked smaller with the front berm.  At that length it was just right.

Ciao

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:20:12 PM »
That photo of #2 shows what I mean about narrowness on two of the par 3's. The slopes on both sides with that firmness tells me to just hit straight.

Mayday

The current form of the 2nd hole is actually very forgiving - much more so than it used to be.  It is effectively a bowl green and from 135 - 150 yards(downhill!) in length it should be a piece of piss.  This is easily the weakest hole on the course which makes me wonder what the heck the thinking was to create it a few years ago.  

#5 requires a very accurate shot - especially considering the wind.  #11 requires a VERY accurate shot - the sort I call a do or or don't die becasuse hitting the green is hard, but getting a bogey isn't if the player learns to leave the right side of the green alone - its a great hole. #13 has plenty of room, but one has to be aggressive over the dune to access it.  This used to be more diffciult until the dune was cut down a bit - its a very good hole and anotehr one of those which isn't nearly as hard as it looks.  #15 isn't nearly as narrow as it looks because the front tier is dipped and can't really be seen from the tee - plus balls will move in off the left.  One just has to decide how aggressive they are gonna be because the flag is never up front so taking that easy option leaves an awkward putt up the tier(s).  

What I like about the 3s is they are all very different and none are too long.

Bill

No, one can't spy the 7th flag earlier in the round.  Once you play the hole a few times it is easy to detect where the hole is located on the green.   

You could be right about access to the top tier, but my instincts still tell me its possible to pitch up for a good birdie opportunity - only I have never seen it done.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:23:53 PM by Sean Arble »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back