News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

Re: Scottish courses you haven't heard of
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »
Does anyone use "The Scottish golf guide". by David Hamilton? David is particularly fond of obscure courses.
There is supposed to be a new edition out, that I can't seem to find, and it includes some interesting lists

Ralph

Golf World used to publish the top 1000 courses in the UK, sectioning them into regions. Each course gets a a rating out of 5, the club details are included and actual players comments used (don't know where they get them from mind you ! but they give both views for and views against).

I find this the best guide, as if the course doesn't get in this list then you know its probably not worth the walk. I've found it very good and usually provides a fairly good description of the course. The last edition was about 4 or 5 years ago so Amazon or second hand might be your best bet of getting it.

Niall

Niall,

thanks, but that is off the topic. The OP was asking about "obscure" Scottish courses, not the top 1000 of the UK.
I was referring to an article I read covering the 2009 update release of David's book about Scottish golf courses. I have one of the previous versions...
All the book dealers, UK and US, are still listing older editions.
David get's into courses that cover the range from still having honor boxes all the way through Open courses. In Scotland.

If you are familiar with David's writing you would know why I am interested.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 05:03:09 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Phil McDade

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 06:39:07 PM »
Ralph:

David's book is a good one; the most definitive guide I've come across is (now out of print?) called "The Complete Guide to the Golf Courses of Scotland," written by a Cincinnati dentist named Robert Kroeger. He's a big fan of obscure, out-of-the-way courses -- I played several based solely on his recommendation and enjoyed each one.

He runs a website: http://www.niblickgolf.com/ that also includes books he's written on Old Tom Morris and a few other subjects.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 07:15:29 PM »

Phil

Ralph has Bob's book on the golf courses of OTM, he told me earlier today.

Melvyn

Mark Pearce

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 02:33:38 AM »
I enjoyed Pitreavie, which I believe is a Mackenzie, with additional work by FBD.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 05:59:11 AM »
Ralph

Probably every Scottish course written about on this thread so far with the possible exceptions of the nine holers will be in the WG book. I really don't know how many scottish courses it lists but I would guess at least as many as David Hamiltons book. If you are looking for a reference book go for GW, if you like Mr Hamiltons writing, then I suggest that you go for his book.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back