News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale_McCallon

Suggestion to improve Pine Valley
« on: September 23, 2009, 10:21:12 AM »
I live in a small community on the western tip of Ky.  We don't have any great golf courses and I don't know anyone in this area who travels for golf to anywhere besides Myrtle Beach or Gulf Shores.  So imagine my suprise when I see someone sporting a Pine Valley shirt. 

I say something about the shirt and he said that he got to play there in July.  When I asked how he liked it his reply:
"Its a tough SOB; but I thought it was way overrated.  You have to walk.  I don't even think they had cart paths."

I've never heard that as a negative at PV, but I guess Tom Paul's "Big World Theory" lives on.

Dan Boerger

Re: Suggestion to improve Pine Valley
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:59:01 AM »
Yes, and no cart girl either. ;)
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 11:11:06 AM »
And they have the gall to put the 1/2-way house at 8 instead of where it should be between 9 and 10!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 12:09:16 PM »
And they have the gall to put the 1/2-way house at 8 instead of where it should be between 9 and 10!

That's better than Olympic putting it even later...between 10 and 11.  What were they thinking??
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »
That is classic.
Mr Hurricane

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:37:57 PM »

That's better than Olympic putting it even later...between 10 and 11.  What were they thinking??

RCCC fubar'd it too, they put it between 8 and 9 also....pfft, what a dog track!!  ;D

Richard Choi

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 12:39:35 PM »
A prime case of life being unfair... sigh.

;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »
Dale,

Your post reminds me of the GD rater who didn't like Ballyneal because it didn't have any trees.  ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
Dale,

Your post reminds me of the GD rater who didn't like Ballyneal because it didn't have any trees.  ;D

Where is Charlie Georges when you need his wizardy with photoshop.

We gotta get a few pics posted up of how a few holes would look after being "upgraded" with trees!!   ;D

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:58:51 PM »
Dale,

Did someone really utter those words? they do not deserve to be on any panel let alone the GD panel.
Mr Hurricane

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »
Looked like a soldier from Ft Dix got lost and built a foxhole by the 10th hole and forgot to fill it up. What was with that?
A windmill in the middle of trees? Who thought of that, MacDonald?

Steve Kline

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 04:25:13 PM »
Before I played PV I remember thinking there was no way it could live up to my expectations. My dad thought the same thing. After 45 holes there we both agreed it was better than we could have imagined and it was clearly the best course we had ever played. Now, we haven't played Shinnecock, Cypress Point or many of the other great courses in the U.S. But it's hard for me to imagine feeling it was overrated.

ChipOat

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »
Pine Valley absolutely does have cart paths.  It's just that they're made of sand and they blend into the landscape so you don't even notice them.

What a concept!

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »
"And they have the gall to put the 1/2-way house at 8 instead of where it should be between 9 and 10!"

Actually, on Crump's initial routing #7 was #9 and an iteration of#12 was #10 and so if the halfway house had been where it is now it would've been very close to the tenth tee.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 07:31:09 PM »
Joking aside, the initial post re no cart paths = bad course brings home the point. This mans view would actually be popular with many although it would find no home on this site.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

astavrides

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »
Likewise there are some people prefer pictures of dogs playing poker to a cezanne.  Not all opinions of what makes good art or architecture are equally valid. 

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 08:41:10 PM »
I asked for a trolley to carry my worn bag and 18 rusted irons and was indignant when they politely told me I had to take a caddie!  I was pissed at 18 that I had to give the caddie a 3 buck tip!  The nerve!

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »
And by the way, what low life run-down clubhouse can't afford to serve a good wholesome all-america soup like chicken noodle.  What's with this swamp turtle soup??

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 09:32:23 PM »
"improve" and "pine valley" are not two words i think of in the same sentence....18 holes of perfection

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 12:05:38 AM »
I give you Pine Bally:
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

DMoriarty

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 12:20:34 AM »
Maybe the guy has a point.  I've heard the course is good, but when they built it they had to make it walkable.   Surely they could have chosen even better golf holes had they not had to worry about making it a walking course.  So perhaps they should do some rerouting to include some of the holes they couldn't have built before carts.  

Isn't that the way it is supposed to work?  We've got carts now, so shouldn't finding the best possible holes trump making the course walkable?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 12:22:56 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tim Bert

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 12:24:57 AM »
Very nicely done, though I propose we call it Bally Valley.

I give you Pine Bally:

Norbert P

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 01:19:10 AM »

They could return Hell's Half Acre to its previous splendor.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 06:55:25 AM »
Slags got a point.  When I first played PVGC (back when even Tom Paul was young) the waste areas throughout the course were basically unkept.  As Lewis Grizzard once said "it would be better to die a young boy then get into PVGC's wate areas!"

JC

Tim Taylor

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 09:53:58 AM »
Looked like a soldier from Ft Dix got lost and built a foxhole by the 10th hole and forgot to fill it up. What was with that?
A windmill in the middle of trees? Who thought of that, MacDonald?

Yes, in fact, it was Old Macdonald of "... eee aye eee aye oh" fame.

Tim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back