News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: ....so much fuss over concrete...
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »

Clint,
You're right, of course, but this thread was ONLY about 3 individuals ranting pages ago.  They weren't seeking information, just a pulpit.

Melvyn, you're 100% right.  So in order to understand, please fly over the US and visit Stone Eagle next July.  If you walk and carry 36, I'd be willing to bet every participant on this website will call golf in the US "cartball". 

Until then, you're blowing in the wind.

Why does he have to do that? The USGA has labeled it cartball, so technically he is already right. The USGA says if you are not walking you are not playing golf! Melvyn simply is in compliance with the USGA! How more American can he get?
 :P
 ;)

What is a rant? Someone who would ask another who has openly stated he can no longer walk and play golf to walk and carry 36 in perhaps 110 degree heat at Stone Eagle. Or, someone who would remind us what the USGA has written on the matter?

Engh stated his points clearly and correctly, and those have been expounded and expanded upon long since by others.  I think it is safe to say that none of the three are going to have eureka moments and acknowledge that:
     a. there are courses that are simply better if they are less walkable, unfortunately, due to the available terrain

Most of what I assume you refer to as ranting has not been about severe terrain. But, when I asked you to identify the rants you were referring to you failed to respond.

b. that most golfers in 2009 don't especially want to walk anyway (with many of the 1500 on this site as notable exceptions, IMO.)
     c. that there are golfers who, though willing, are unable to walk for one reason or another but still love the game

Where have any of those you have labelled ranters even remotely suggested forcing those people to walk?

d. that developers and housing often drive routing, rather than architecture alone

Perhaps you missed this thread where an important GCA makes the argument that from the very beginning that was a business model headed for failure..
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41475.0/

e. that there is a market system at work in the golf business, rather than simply "the game"
     f.  that architects are responsible to the person(s) paying them, rather than to someone's notion of the purity of the game.

You teach economics don't you? I am sure no one would guess! ;)

All of this and more has been pointed out over and over to these three, and yet they continue to rant and drive others who know far, far more about the subject (and profession) of GCA away from the site.  Unfortunate, but the simple fact is that an open mind is required for education to occur.  You tried; the failure is theirs, not yours.

And the evidence for an open mind is the ability to lay down absurd walking challenges?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2009, 03:41:04 PM »
This thread is a good example of why I have little interestest in participating here anymore.

A great start by Jim [I would like to cut and paste with your permission], about real world golf design....followed by a bunch of cyber space little dicks's  [you know who you are] comments.

Thanks Ran, and I will stay in touch.

AG,

Would this be one of those rants you speak of?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

DMoriarty

« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2009, 04:05:26 PM »
This has been a very strange thread.    I agree with Rich:  

PS--great starting post, Jim.  I hope as I wade forward the rest of the field will start trying to think about and carry on a conversation about what you said, but my hopes are not high.... :-[

As for the "is it really golf" debate, I think I understand the passion of the posts on both sides, but in the end it is purely a definitional debate, isn't it?   More importantly, it has taken the conversation away from a discussion of the impact all this has on golf architecture.    Not that the definitional debate isn't important, but on a website about golf architecture and in response to a thoughtful post by an architect, it seems that should be our focus, no matter the names we prefer for each of the two schools.  

In the hopes of doing so . . .

A.G. Crockett wrote the following:
Engh stated his points clearly and correctly, and those have been expounded and expanded upon long since by others.  

I disagree that Mr. Engh's points have been expounded and expanded upon long since.  There have been many tangents and some accusations and name calling, but I must have missed the discussion part.   Also, it is tough to discuss his post because it seems that a few posters don't want anyone else to challenge or even discuss Mr. Engh's post.   If we are willing to challenge and discuss every other designers' views, I am not sure why Mr. Engh should be exempted?

A.G. then provides a useful list of what he got out of Mr. Engh's post.   I tried to do the same thing above, only in a bit more detail.  Some of A.G.'s points are worth considering, whether he thinks so or not.

a. there are courses that are simply better if they are less walkable, unfortunately, due to the available terrain

This really gets to the heart of the matter.  
-- Is entirely accurate to say "if they are less walkable, unfortunately, due to the available terrain?   Isn't it the designer's choice as to how to use that terrain that determines the relative walkability?
-- Why is this "unfortunate," if the course ends up the better for it?   Maybe I have misunderstood, but it sure seems like Mr. Engh has turned these supposedly difficult sites toward his advantage and treats them as huge assets.   These moderate and difficult sites give him the opportunity to build spectacular, inspiring, and powerful golf holes, don't they?   So what is unfortunate about this?
- But from my perspective, the real crux is whether or not this approach produces better golf holes, and more importantly, better golf courses.  I have my doubts, but I am curous what others think.

b. that most golfers in 2009 don't especially want to walk anyway (with many of the 1500 on this site as notable exceptions, IMO.)

I think this is true in this country at least, But I am not so sure it is as simple as all this.  
-  As I indicated above, I suspect that building a course for walkers might just produce better golf courses, whether anyone walks them or not.
-  I am not sure this is the total percentage of cart riders is the most relevant question.   Shouldn't we be wondering about things like who is more likely to be an avid golfer?  Who is more likely to stick with the game for a lifetime?  As the percentage of cart riders grows, isn't the number of golfers shrinking?
-   In other words, shouldn't we be wondering about the long term impact the proliferation of cart courses may have on the game of golf?   Does it make golf more sustainable or less?   Do these courses take even longer to play?  Do they bring people into the game who truly care about the game of golf and who will care about the values that supposedly are part of it?   Etc.

c. that there are golfers who, though willing, are unable to walk for one reason or another but still love the game

No doubt, but I think we are confusing issues here. I don't think anyone is suggesting that  architects should only build courses if they will prohibit riding.  These riders can still ride at the vast majority of courses built for walking, but cart ball golf pushes walkers out of the game, at least at these courses.

d. that developers and housing often drive routing, rather than architecture alone
     e. that there is a market system at work in the golf business, rather than simply "the game"
     f.  that architects are responsible to the person(s) paying them, rather than to someone's notion of the purity of the game.

All these individually have merit, but for me it makes sense to look at them as what Mr. Engh called something like the realities of the profession in an older post.    I agree that these guys are running businesses and have the responsibilities and duties that go with it.   And judging by Mr. Engh's success and the success of some others, they obviously know better than I do what works in their particular business model.   That being said . . .
--   What is good for a real estate developer is not necessarily good for golf.   What is good for Jim Engh's or Jeff Brauer's or Tom Doak's client won't necessarily produce the best golf courses.  Likewise with each of these designer's business plans.  
--  I think it is worth pointing out that your examples only become realities once the designer takes a job.  Apparently some designers seem to have at least some control over they type of work they get and take, don't they?   So I don't think it is quite accurate for us to say, "don't look at them, they are just doing their job."
--  Most importantly and directly, their business plans are really none of my business, on more levels than one.   Why certain courses got built is interesting, but ultimately it is the course that matters.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:19:31 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2009, 06:21:03 PM »
My course is very walkable, yet I'd wager 80% of the members ride...and for many, they would not be able to play if they had to walk...what a sad world it would be if these guys did not get up out of the house, and come to the course, ride in their carts, and play golf with their buddies....

And ya know, the more I think about what Melvyn said about "no soul"...I believe he is the one that has "lost" his soul through his narrow feeling for "the game" of golf....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2009, 07:02:58 PM »

Craig

I have kept faith with the game all my life. It people like you who look for the easy way, the soft options. Riding a cart when totally able bodied or using all form of artificial distance aids because you do not feel confident enough to play the game by eye.

I question if you and others like you ever knew of the Spirit let alone the Soul of the Game. Certainly not enough to maintain its traditional ways. Jumping ship at the first opportunity because you cannot hack it, which says more about you than me.

If I am guilty of anything, it’s reminding those who have taken the easy, nay the simple options of not walking and not thinking for themselves.

Don’t blame me for your own inabilities, for failing to rise to the challenges when trying to play a game called Golf.

If there is a problem look to yourselves for creating it and also for the answers.

Stop using me as an excuse for your own failures when it comes to Golf.

Melvyn

PS Keep trying to reinvent the game on a weekly or monthly basis and soon there will not be much left, but then perhaps that is the real intention of some of the thoughtless.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2009, 08:04:21 PM »
This thread is a good example of why I have little interestest in participating here anymore.

A great start by Jim [I would like to cut and paste with your permission], about real world golf design....followed by a bunch of cyber space little dicks's  [you know who you are] comments.

AG,

No, it isn't.  It's just Paul's dismay at what has happened to this thread.  You may have noticed that Mr. Engh has declined to participate further in this, and I can't blame him, either.

Are you familiar with Paul Cowley's work, and do you know why his absence would be a loss to a site/DG about (supposedly) golf course architecture?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Garland Bayley

« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2009, 08:11:24 PM »

AG,

No, it isn't.  It's just Paul's dismay at what has happened to this thread.  You may have noticed that Mr. Engh has declined to participate further in this, and I can't blame him, either.

Are you familiar with Paul Cowley's work, and do you know why his absence would be a loss to a site/DG about (supposedly) golf course architecture?

Please define rant! Since you don't think "bunch of cyber space little dicks's" is ranting we are all curious to know what is ranting.

As far as Mr. Engh's participation is concerned, it has been suggested to me that he may be ashamed of his supporters.

I have not played a Paul Cowley course. In that sense, I am not familiar with his work.
Mr. Cowley does not think well of me, so I won't get into the loss.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2009, 08:18:01 PM »

AG,

Please define rant! Since you don't think "bunch of cyber space little dicks's" is ranting we are all curious to know what is ranting.

As far as Mr. Engh's participation is concerned, it has been suggested to me that he may be ashamed of his supporters.

I have not played a Paul Cowley course. In that sense, I am not familiar with his work.
Mr. Cowley does not think well of me, so I won't get into the loss.

Exactly as I thought.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jay Flemma

« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2009, 08:32:42 PM »

who ever "suggested it to you" must love to hear mindless untrue gossip.  When you little scamps get together you're worse than a sewing circle.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Craig Sweet

« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »
Melvyn...I walk as often as I can...and if I take a cart it's because my guest or golf partner NEEDS to ride...I don't use any distance aid except the old 150 yard trees they planted 40 years ago...and most importantly, I LOVE playing golf regardless of outcome, weather, etc...I work on the course 8 hours or more everyday and try to play two or three times a week after work...I live and breath golf...

I embody the spirit of the game, and find golf to be a soulful experience....

For you to insist that YOU, and ONLY YOU, know the spirit and soul of the game is BULLSHIT....the next thing you'll tell me is YOURS is the one and only true god....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

DMoriarty

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2009, 08:40:23 PM »
My course is very walkable, yet I'd wager 80% of the members ride...and for many, they would not be able to play if they had to walk...what a sad world it would be if these guys did not get up out of the house, and come to the course, ride in their carts, and play golf with their buddies....

And ya know, the more I think about what Melvyn said about "no soul"...I believe he is the one that has "lost" his soul through his narrow feeling for "the game" of golf....

But without golf they could get to the Union Club or Red's a little earlier . . .

Seriously I don't think anyone has suggested that carts should not be allowed on courses where they are currently allowed.  I don't even think Melvyn has taken this position.   So I am not sure why we keep returning to it as if it is at issue here.  It's not.

Do you suppose we could quit talking about who ranted against what and who needs to re-soul his golf shoes?  Return to a discussion of golf course design, perhaps?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

C. Squier

« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2009, 08:45:05 PM »

Seriously I don't think anyone has suggested that carts should not be allowed on courses where they are currently allowed.  I don't even think Melvyn has taken this position.   So I am not sure why we keep returning to it as if it is at issue here.  It's not.

You're kidding, right?  Have you read anything he's read over the last year?

DMoriarty

« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2009, 09:01:25 PM »

You're kidding, right?  Have you read anything he's read over the last year?

Clint, I really don't want to get too deep into that discussion, because it isn't really at issue, but I seem to recall him writing that people can do what they want, including riding in a cart.  What he objects to is them calling it golf, because he feels that walking is an integral and indispensable part golf.   It is extreme but I can understand where he is coming from even if I may not agree with it entirely.   I don't think he goes so far as to say that no carts should ever be allowed on a golf course, just that the people in them are not really golfing.  But I guess I could be wrong, and I haven't gone back and checked and don't plan to.  As I said, I think it is beside the point.

EDIT:  I went back and looked at some of the threads, briefly.  Maybe he does take this position, I am not sure.  But regardless it is really beside the topic at hand.    He definitely excludes those who need a cart from his proclamation so can't we just leave it at that?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 09:12:02 PM by DMoriarty »

Rob Rigg

« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2009, 10:51:11 PM »

who ever "suggested it to you" must love to hear mindless untrue gossip.  When you little scamps get together you're worse than a sewing circle.

Jay,

Really.

Have you apologized to Mr Engh yet for starting a fire on this thread supposedly defending the erroneous fact that he does not design "cart golf" - aka - "mostly cart" courses (his words) even though he clearly stated he did in his initial post?

Based on the quality of his post, that was not followed up on - I would imagine because of the subsequent grade school garbage, it is clear that he does not need you to fight his battles.

I assume that you are including yourself in the "little scamp" camp because you fueled the initial fire that took the excellent thread topic from thoughts on designing courses on extreme to moderate sites and how that impacts the cart/walking relationship to page upon page of bickering and name calling interspersed with a call or two for reason.

Fortunately DM started another thread that basically speaks to the same topic - which has not fallen off such a pathetic cliff.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2009, 07:57:09 AM »
[But without golf they could get to the Union Club or Red's a little earlier . . .

Seriously I don't think anyone has suggested that carts should not be allowed on courses where they are currently allowed.  I don't even think Melvyn has taken this position.   So I am not sure why we keep returning to it as if it is at issue here.  It's not.
quote]

I was on the practice tee the other day and one old duffer said to another "we're heading for the Mo Club to grab a burger and a beer, ya with us?"

Seriously...Melvyn says you have no soul, you don't have a clue about the "spirit"  of the game, you are not "faithful" to the game, and basically, you are NOT playing golf if you ride a cart....

Pretty damn narrow view if you ask me...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2009, 07:57:56 AM »
Man, I have no clue hpw to make this quote thing work!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2009, 08:53:06 AM »
Melyvn,

I get you have your views on how the game "should be" played, so I'm not offering a rebutall with this post.....I'm just merely trying to explain why many need and/or prefer a cart.

1st)  The easy one is those who need a cart.  As Mr. Mucci explained for those getting on in years and those with legit physical issues, taking a cart is way they can enjoy the game again, because after all it is a game and its played for enjoyment.  Why would anyone want to pay money, and take 4 hrs from thier day to chase a little white ball around and be in complete agony doing so because they are walking and thier feet, or legs, or whatever are just not up to the task?.  I mean seriously, why would someone pay money to torture themselves like this?  Certainly someone like Casey Martin would also fit into this category.

2nd)  Those who want to take a cart.  This is likely where more people have varying opinions, so lets look at a few scenarios.  Why would someone want to risk dehyrdation, and pay for this experience because they are attempting to walk a 4.5 mile course when its 104 degrees?  Its supposed to be for fun and enjoyment right, not boot camp!!  ;D  Suppose another guy works construction 50 hrs a week and on the weekend he wants to get off his feet and enjoy a relaxing round with his buddies?  Or someone else who has a sore back or any other gaggle of temporary physical ailments?  Or he just wants to fit in with his buddies who all want to take a cart because it seems like a fun thing to do?? 

In the end its just about having fun and enjoyment to whatever manner seems most interesting to you. Its a game meant for leisure, not as a serious, strict, regimental act. For those who get the most fun from walking the course, this is awesome, not a problem.  And for those who have the most fun riding in a cart and having a few beers, this is fine, not a problem.

Finally, I think you are robbing yourself of the fun you could be having on the course playing the game, mingling with friends, having a few laughs, enjoying the outdoors....all because you refuse to ride in between shots.  Life is short my friend, and you only get to do it once.... carpe diem, regardless of how you have to sieze it!  :)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:57:41 AM by Kalen Braley »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2009, 09:04:26 AM »
Craig. Can you argue that riding golf is just as spiritual as walking? I think its exponentially more spiritual to walk talk and convein(sp?) with nature.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

DMoriarty

« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2009, 12:36:47 PM »
I was on the practice tee the other day and one old duffer said to another "we're heading for the Mo Club to grab a burger and a beer, ya with us?"

With pepper-jack cheese, I hope.   I have fond memories of afternoons at the Missoula Club-- a beer, a burger, and a good used book.  Montana may still have some catching up to do with regard to world class courses, but it could give anyplace a run for its money with world class bars, or at least it could before the poker machine turned every place into a "casino."   Maybe we need a new thread . . . are poker machines the cart-ball of Mt bars?

Seriously...Melvyn says you have no soul, you don't have a clue about the "spirit"  of the game, you are not "faithful" to the game, and basically, you are NOT playing golf if you ride a cart....

Pretty damn narrow view if you ask me...

No doubt it is a narrow view, but if we set aside the vitriol and the religious references and the holier than thou proclamations bouncing back and forth, I think it is possible to understand both sides.   Melvyn views walking as an integral and indispensable component of the game, and he has hundreds of years of history to support his claim, and without walking it just isn't golf to him.   Many here are so passionate about the game that they aren't willing to give it up even when they are unable to walk, because however important the experience of walking may be to golf, there are many other compelling components to the game that keep them coming back despite physical obstacles.    In both cases we have very passionate people who love whatever it is that they do with their balls and clubs, so to speak.  I haven't met Melvyn but I don't doubt the sincerity or depth of his beliefs, nor do I doubt your beliefs.   I have met Patrick, and seen his passion and his genuine interest in doing what is best for the game.  

But frankly it has degenerated into a shouting match between brothers arguing over who loves Mom more.  

And all passions aside, it is really tangential to Mr. Engh's post.   Melvyn expressed his viewpoint to Mr. Engh and his is a viewpoint that should be heard, whether we agree or not, but isn't it about time we started focusing on trying to understand Mr. Engh's approach and the impact it is having on golf and golf architecture.    I don't think he is an anomaly, but is a very good representation of what is going on and being celebrated in mainstream design, and so it seems like it is worthwhile to discuss how the approach impacts the game and the courses we all care about.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:38:40 PM by DMoriarty »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2009, 01:05:02 PM »

Thank you David. I have asked my question to Jim and given him an idea where I am coming from hopefully to understand the reason for my question.

As usual, it turns into an anti Melvyn action nearly every time I post, courtesy of the real closed minds on this group. I don't agree with some but I believe they have a right to their opinion. As and when I am wrong I apologize for my comments. Clearly actions that escape those belonging to the anti Melvyn Group. No Kalen I don't include you.

Its time, I hope for Jims the answer some of the question his comments have raised.

Melvyn   

Craig Sweet

« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2009, 08:01:15 PM »
"Stop using me as an excuse for your own failures when it comes to Golf."

Melvyn, what would those failures be?

I am very happy with golf..

Adam...regarding riding in a cart...is it spiritually better than walking? Sometimes, but usually not...but sometime walking is impossible.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tony Weiler

« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2009, 08:49:40 PM »
So your whole agenda has been to tell people NOT to play his courses.  That's the whole purpose behind these relentless rude attacks, to demonize Jim and brand him as something you think is bad for the game because you simply won't tolerate something a little different from your own preferences and won't broaden your mind one jot...not even after only playing ONE of his courses.

This is Ran Morrissett's North Star, his raison d'etre...a place where we - his guests - are lucky enough to talk with, and even ask questions of the greatest minds in the golf design.  You just treat people here - including architects who we should be overjoyed to get to know - as a footrag, cross-examining and overlawyering them.  Give it a rest, will ya?  This is a place where gentlemen are supposed to have fun, unwind, and exchange ideas.  You seem to think there's a scoreboard somewhere.  Well your theories will win more respect if you present them more politely instead of trying to conduct depositions and serving endless interrogatories.  After the way you've treated Jim on this thread and the other...why should he even bother giving you the time of day?

You wanna know why I don't participate in threads with you any more?  Because for a man who incessantly demands respect and acts with such superiority, you go about seeking it with a remarkable lack of skill and tact.  You need to change your Internet persona from this overbearing, dominant condescension because people don't look forward to interacting with you with much pleasure.  No one likes internet trolls, so try being nicer.

I know that you could be good company if you chose, and I know you want to be liked and respected.  Well you'll go a lot further if you tone down the lawyer act here and let people be who they are and free to have their own opinions.  

Great post, Jay
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:51:41 PM by Anthony Weiler »

Kirk Gill

« Reply #197 on: September 26, 2009, 08:51:42 PM »
It seems to me that all of you have a partially correct position as to my opinion regarding cart path design, just not the entire perspective. It is simply a matter of degrees. Do I prefer to look for the best golf holes first? Yes. Would I make a 2 mile transition from one hole to the next to incorporate a feature into the course? No. Would I make you walk up a one foot incline to incorporate a wonderful grove of trees into a hole? Yes. Obviously, somewhere in the middle is the correct answer. And each situation has many other factors.

From my perspective, I often times do not get the opportunity to choose whether walking is an option. We are typically given  mountainous and very rolling terrain type sites. On the truly mountainous sites like Sanctuary, Redlands Mesa and Lakota Canyon, the decision was not whether walking is resonable, but more to the point,  is this project even possible to build on this land. At this point, riding vs walking is a mute point.   The good news is, if it is possible it will be very spectacular. When dealing with moderate land upon which it might be "possible" to create a walking course, I have the following decision; should I create a course that is very much less exciting/fun but is potentially walkable for 50% of the players? Or should I decide that this will be a mostly cart course and create a much more powerful golfing experience and sales engine for thr project? When making that decision, you must, as a professional,  consider that if the course is walkable for 50% of the players, it is likely that you will have 90% of the golfers using a cart. In my mind that is an easy decsion. Do the better course. Now, if it is a flattish piece of land that I have been given, the factor of walking is a much bigger consideration. For example, at our new project in the snad hills of Nebraska, called Awarii Dunes, I have set a paramount on walking. Cart paths will be green to tee only and consist of a mixture of native sand and small gravel. Tee placements have been located for ease of access from the previous green. I am very pleased to be able to take this position, still I suspect that we will have a significant amount of cart use. Unfortunately, that is the way things are.

It is possible to make a walkable course on a mountainous site by finding a way to make all of the holes at a similar elevation. The property in question would determine this. I’ve played a Banff Springs which is certainly a mountain course. It was built before the advent of carts, and is walkable (although all current green fees include cart rental). Of course, not all mountainous sites may allow for this. As Jim says – can a course be built there at all? And if so, it may be that any course built on the property would be either “cartball” by some definitions, or an “extreme walk” by others. But it seems like this is less controversial than what Jim says next, which begs the question, are creating a walkable course and creating an “exciting/fun” course mutually exclusive?

Well, of course not. There are lots of exciting and fun courses that are walkable. So the question then becomes, what features or course design options are exciting and fun that make a course less walkable? Speaking for myself, the two things that come to mind are elevated tees, and distances between holes that allow for use of natural features that aren’t as close together as you might like. Lots of folks on this thread have stated their ambivalence regarding elevated tees, but many people like them. They also afford great views which, on a course built more to appeal to the traveling golfer rather than the local, adds to the fun/excitement factor. And a given piece of property might have a certain number of great greensites, or places where fairways might naturally lie. Including the maximum number of these might end up in some longer distances between greens and tees. In cases like that it’s up to the architect to decide whether that distance is worth it, and the question of how many golfers might end up riding, regardless of the design, might come into play for the architect, per Jim’s quote above.

Of course, all of these considerations go out the window if your belief is that golf is a walking game only, and carts are at best inherently wrong, and at worst tantamount to the destruction of the game of golf. And if that is your feeling, then even Jim's new course in Nebraska won't please you, as they will apparently allow carts there as well, despite all best efforts by the architect to make the course as walkable as possible.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Brian Phillips

« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »
I played golf in China once and they forced us to have BOTH a caddie and a golf buggy...I made the caddie drive the golf buggy while I walked the most of course!!  The woman caddie thought I was nuts!!  I beat John Strawn on the 17th hole as well..

However, I have also used a buggy around Sand Hills for one round....Sorry.

We are in the middle of designing a course in Lisbon and if we didn't build cart paths no one apart from Chris Bonnington could play it.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2009, 05:05:01 PM »

Brian

Then please do not build cart paths. ;)

Carts, cart paths do not a game of golf make.

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back