News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Director of Golf & Head Pro
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:56:51 PM »
My club has abolished the position of "Director of Golf" because of budgetary concerns.  It makes me sad because the man who holds the position has come up through the ranks.  My question, however, is, What is the difference between the Director of Golf and Head Pro?  I don't remember ever seeing a job description.  Does that mean that the super and everyone involved in the golf course report to him?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Cory Lewis

Re: Director of Golf & Head Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »
You are correct Tommy.  The PGA defines Director of Golf as the person that oversees the entire golf operation, meaning they oversee the superintendent and the head professional.  I believe this title was created for courses where there was no need for a GM, but they did need somebody to oversee the operation.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:04:57 PM »
There really isn't a difference; if a course has both of them then the Director of Golf is the top guy for golf operations.  Some places only have a Director of Golf and some places only have a Head Professional.  At the places I have worked the DOG is in charge of all golf operations (mainly tee sheet, course setup, budgeting, and member relations) and the Head Professional is more in charge of (inventory of merchandise, lessons, member tournaments) that is only if both of the jobs are employed at a golf club.  If there is only one, then they inherit most of those duties.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
I've also seen the position as a person who oversees the pro shop and golf play operations on multi- course facilities that subsequently name a head pro for each course.

On the supers side of the business, a super who oversees the maintenance of more than one course for a facility would be called the director of golf course operations. They likely would have a head super on each course.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Chris Cupit

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:44:14 PM »
As a practical matter here is what often happens:

You have a Head Golf Professional and he has a terrific Asst. Pro.  The asst finishes up his requirements and becomes a Class "A" pro and wants to really begin looking for his own head job.  If the Asst. has been at the same club for a while and the Head Pro feels it is merited he may assume the DoG title and allow his long time and loyal asst. to take on the title Head Professional thereby helping at least in a small way the former asst. in his job search.  It makes his resume look better and in many if not all cases it is a well deserved promotion.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:54:58 PM »
I suspect in today's deteriorating economy, a guy who can do it all will be increasingly more valuable.  Club budgets are being hammered and it will just get worse.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 11:07:31 PM »
I suspect in today's deteriorating economy, a guy who can do it all will be increasingly more valuable.  Club budgets are being hammered and it will just get worse.

Chris, this is the exact scenario that happened at my club. The DOG had been ass't then Head Pro then DOG and his ass't became Head Pro.  We now have a Head Pro, one ass't and two guys who just work in the shop. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:22:08 PM »

Chris, this is the exact scenario that happened at my club. The DOG had been ass't then Head Pro then DOG and his ass't became Head Pro.  We now have a Head Pro, one ass't and two guys who just work in the shop. 

That's one more assistant than we have.  We have a head pro and a super, and another teaching pro who has to be self-sustaining.  Over the pro and the super we have a GM.  It seems to be working but very thin.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 02:50:54 AM »
As a practical matter here is what often happens:

You have a Head Golf Professional and he has a terrific Asst. Pro.  The asst finishes up his requirements and becomes a Class "A" pro and wants to really begin looking for his own head job.  If the Asst. has been at the same club for a while and the Head Pro feels it is merited he may assume the DoG title and allow his long time and loyal asst. to take on the title Head Professional thereby helping at least in a small way the former asst. in his job search.  It makes his resume look better and in many if not all cases it is a well deserved promotion.

It's title thing-kind've like now there are office managers,not secretaries.
It makes sense at facility with multiple courses where multiple Had pros would answer to a DOG.
Chris is right in that it can help the resume, but only if the next employer isn't savvy enough to know that a Head Pro under a DOG is simply a first assistant with a fancy title.(and the same old salary)
A superintendant is no more likely to report to a DOG than he would a Head Pro (which is rare unless the Head pro or DOG is also GM)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dave_Miller

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 10:34:48 AM »
My club has abolished the position of "Director of Golf" because of budgetary concerns.  It makes me sad because the man who holds the position has come up through the ranks.  My question, however, is, What is the difference between the Director of Golf and Head Pro?  I don't remember ever seeing a job description.  Does that mean that the super and everyone involved in the golf course report to him?
Tommy:
Not sure how the PGA of America defines Director Golf but I'm also not sure it matters.  I have usually seen the Director of Golf position at clubs that have multiple courses and clubhouses, etc. with a head Pro at each course.  The Clubs I am affiliated with that have this position limit the duties to overseeing the actual golf activities and shop operations.  The Director has no control over the Superintendent, etc.
Also many clubs do this to give an Assistant the Title Head Golf Pro to attempt to help them get there own jobs.  The problem is that when clubs are interviewing they see through this pretty quickly.

Best
Dave

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 01:09:17 PM »
One local club has a Director of Golf but no pro.  The Director of Golf isn't Class A, so they shouldn't (and don't) call him a club professional.  Director seems to require no such credential (though at higher-end places it's almost always a former Head Pro (with full PGA certification)).

WW

bill_k

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »
All of the replies on this thread are pretty accurate.
It has been my experience that the position and title of Director of Golf is a needed, legitimate entity only at a handful of facilities. Not sure how the title evolved, but I'm fairly certain that it is a peculiar response to all of the big-budget real estate/high end clubs that have been the norm since the mid-80's.
I'm no historian, but I cannot think of too many of the old, well known clubs that ever employed a golf professional with a title other than either "Head Golf Professional" or simply "Golf Professional"...even today you can look at many of these clubs that have survived for decades with strong memberships and a certain cache due either to social standing or a great golf course/courses...Bill Stines at Scioto, Scott Nye at Merion, and John Buczek at Winged Foot all possess the title of "Head Golf Professional" at their respective facilities. Nye, Buczek and even Bob Ford work at facilities which have more than one golf course but an enhanced title is unnecessary because everybody understands who is in charge of the operation.
Almost all of the clubs that I am familiar with who employ a "Director of Golf"...have an individual who rarely interacts with the day to day operation of the facility. The merchandising, phone answering, lesson scheduling, and sweater folding is typically done by the assistant golf professionals...with the "Head Golf Professional" serving as the main supervisor. The DOG's main function, in my experience, is to spend his days in budget meetings and returning phone calls...having very little to do with member service as it relates to his own day-to-day schedule.
So why should a club like Colleton River need a "Director of Golf", when a 'Head Golf Professional" is enough for Winged Foot, Merion, Oakmont, and Scioto? My answer is simple...REAL ESTATE.
When your average wealthy guy retires and decides to look around in the Hilton Head area for a place to retire and play golf at a private club, he might visit and investigate Colleton River, Belfair, and Berkeley Hall. All of these are great facilities, but would Berkeley Hall be perceived differently by a prospective member/real estate investor if it only employed a "Head Golf Professional" whle the other two had DOG'S? What if it were the Assistant Golf Professionals out giving lessons at that incredible practice facility...instead of a "name" Director of Instruction? Would you be more likely to invest in a facility that was upscale enough to employ a "DOG" and a
"Director of Instruction"...or a facility that had a "Head Golf Professional" and several assistants to take lessons from? I'm here to tell you, that distinction makes a huge difference to many people. It simply sounds more prestigious to have a "Director of Golf" than a "Head Golf Professional"...but that's just my own opinion. There is NO enhanced benefit from having a position above that of a Head Golf Professional...save the vanity of the membership/developer. Also, the enhanced title has undoubtedly led to higher compensation for those individuals, but I would argue it also has the effect of pushing down the salaries of anyone subordinate because there IS a budget to adhere to...if you are paying your DOG $160-225K per year (which CR, Belfair, and BH certainly do), and since he is pretty removed from member service day-to-day - you have to pay a "Head Golf Professional" $45-65K to to run things (considerably less than what he would make if it were his own facility). That leaves $28-35K for assistants...most of whom have both a bachelors degree AND an advanced professional certification (PGA membership).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back