News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

The 200th USA Course for Team Nicklaus -- Red Ledges !
« on: September 05, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »
I just recently returned from The Beehive State -- Utah. I have always been a fan of what the state provides on a wide variety of outdoor activities -- but the golf side has slowly come forward -- most especially in and around the greater Park City area.

Located in Heber City -- Red Ledges is the 200th USA designed course for Jack Nicklaus and in a word the course is simply fantastic.

When I first saw the entry road to Red Ledges the dynamics of the property didn't readily appear. In fact, the course is located just two miles from Main Street in downtown Heber City and frankly I was rather skeptical that such a stellar piece of property could be found that close to such pedestrian activity.

Red Ledges came about over 30 years as 27 different parcels were brought together to highlight the nearly 2,000 acres of land that makes up the site.

For years I have been a fan of TF's Glenwild -- located in Park City and I have always believed it to be the state's finest course. Today, there is a new #1 for me in Utah.

Red Ledges is not mountainously hilly but always rolling and unlike earlier Nicklaus designs from when Jack first started designing there's no attempt to ride roughshod over the property and bend it to the Bear's will.

Going forward from what Jack has designed in recent years -- Red Ledges combines the visual moments that can leave you breathless but the golf side is not merely an orphan to the incredible views you get on just about every hole there.

Fortunately, Jack has strived to accentuate playability at Red Ledges and if players seek the approproate tees the challenge is fair and worthy of one's time. However, from the tip tees Red Ledges asks for plenty and unless you can truly play to a high level the terrain and all the details associated with the design will be too much to overcome for all but a few.

From the tips the course plays 7,653 yards / par-72. Given the elevation of roughly one mile above sea level the ball will fly a good bit more than at sea level. The corresponding CR and SL is 77.2 and 153 respectively. From the next sets of tees the course is 6,803 yards and a more manageable 73.0 / 149 CR and SL respectively.

Jack starts the round in fine fashion -- the tee shot is played from where the clubhouse is planned. Set high above the fairway the tee shot calls upon placement to the max. There is a solitary bunker that inserts itself nicely on the right side and the rough that creeps in from the left is quite daunting with juniper trees, sage brush and other western dilemmas that will cause sufficient pain for the wayward driver.

What makes Red Ledges work is the putting surfaces -- they neatly hug natural ridges and provide for a range of different pin placements. Hitting a fine tee shot is only the start of the game when there.

The front nine works its way over the more tamer topography. When I say tamer that's only when held against what the back nine provided.

A good bit of the site can be seen via the club's website redledges.com -- the interviews with The Bear himself are quite revealing about what makes the course standout among all the other recent Nicklaus design team productions.

Jack and his team also fashioned bunkers that are a good bit more penal than other layouts of his I have played. They are often smaller -- and deeper. Getting into one of them can mean a bit more challenge than from his earliest efforts. The bunkers don't clog the design -- they simply add a degree of distraction without disrupting the overall flow of the property.

One of the more interesting holes at Red Ledges is the closing hole on the outbound side -- the 203-yard 9th. Here you climb up a hill set on sandstone and the green is set below -- with a solitay juniper tree which is roughly 15-yards in front of the green but which needs to be navigated either over or around. The green hugs itself close to where the tree is situated and it falls away from front to back. It's very e-z to fly to the rear area of the green but caution needs to be paid for if you are short the speed of the fall away green will likely produce a number other than par. What makes the hole is that it's not your traditional par-3 hole with flanking bunkers or the silly inclusion of a water hazard when none should be present.

The back nine is one of the most stunning settings for golf I have ever played. Each hole uses the existing land to heighten the senses as you move from one hole to the next. Nicklaus was quite smart and wise to include uphill holes with the opening two holes on the inner half ... the 10th plays 434 yards but plays 1-2 clubs shorter than the 11th which comes in at 438 yards. On both holes you need to get your tee ball on the correct side -- for the 10th that means close enough to a trio of fairway bunkers that can really impact your play there. On the 11th you need to slide a fade to land that rises a good bit from tee to green.

One of the things that makes Red Ledges challenging is that the greens there will only hold shots that are well hit. In a number of instances Nicklaus has allowed a gound game option and frankly it's needed to provide a healthy balance between that form of play and the traditional aerial style.

On other UT courses of note I have played the abruptness of the site can sometimes take away from the quality of a number of holes. Rees Jones effort at nearby Victory Ranch is good in spots but the savage nature of the site makes cart riding a chore on a few of the holes there. Red Ledges is Jack's 3rd course in UT and Red Ledges provide a clear counterpoint to what he did at nearby Painted Valley at Promontory. At Painted Valley Jack had to work within the context of a canyon that limited his efforts on the front nine there to play down and back. The inner half at Painted Valley sports the better property from a visual and hole variety perspective.

I've often stated that the land itself constitutes no less than 60% of the equation when sizing up any course. Red Ledges is absolutely a home run in that regard. As good as the front nine is -- the back ups the ante considerably.

The only downside with the course deals with the 263-yard par-3 15th which is a bit long for a greensite that would work better if played from the 200-yard markers. I was told there may be some corrections on that score. If played from the middle markers the existing hole works fine.

The final trio of holes that closes out the round at Red Ledges is magnificent. The uphill and somewhat blind tee shot at the 577-yard par-5 16th is well done. The hole plays uphill for nearly the entire distance. After you hit the fairway Jack skillfully used a dry ceek bed which runs diagonally from lower left to upper right. The player must determine if carrying this creek is worth the play. The more right you go the greater the carry becomes. One of the more interesting aspects of the hole is that Jack does provide a fair bailout area before the creek and from the most forward position short of the creek you'll have roughly 125 yards to the green -- although the angle from across the creek works better. Just a solid three-shot hole for 99% of those who play the game.

The 17th runs back downhill slightly and moves from right-to-left -- one of the few holes that works that way at Red Ledges. The key is dealing with the prevailing wind which can blow into one's face. The deeper you go with the tee shot the more challenging the demands are. The fairway pinches in noticeable past the 300-yard area and the green is far from large with a key solitary bunker protecting the front left section of the putting surface. Bogey for most people will be a wonderful score because this 491 / 426 hole iwill only reward the highest level of successful execution.

The finale is 422 / 370 and allows players to possibly get back a stroke. The hole rises gently from the tee and even more so to the green itself. There is a fairway bunker on the preferred left side and the green is sloped noticeably from back to front.

Red Ledges opened this past July and likely has flown under the radar for many people. I was thoroughly impressed with what Jack did there becaiuse for a housing development there's plenty of options that have been brought into play -- working the ball from one side to the other is a big time plus -- additionally you have the stunning vistas which only add to the time spent there.

UT has waited for a layout that can make a case no less compelling that what you see with the other best courses in the mountain time zone. I see Red Ledges as being the equal of just about any of them. The overall Park City area is not there just yet in terms of depth of courses but Red Ledges has clearly made a major statement for me that Nicklaus has learned from the past and at the same time is prepared to both make top players eanr their keep if played from the tips while still providing a fun and entertaining time from the more forward tee positions.

I had a photographer with me during my time there and I hope to post some shots of the different holes.

Jed Rammell

Re: The 200th USA Course for Team Nicklaus -- Red Ledges !
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 11:08:49 PM »
You didn't like Victory Ranch because of a bumpy cart ride?  ???

DMoriarty

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »
Matt, I haven't played the course, but I have a few questions about your review.   You wrote

. . .
Fortunately, Jack has strived to accentuate playability at Red Ledges and if players seek the approproate tees the challenge is fair and worthy of one's time. However, from the tip tees Red Ledges asks for plenty and unless you can truly play to a high level the terrain and all the details associated with the design will be too much to overcome for all but a few.

Accentuates playability?  How so?   Because in your next paragraph you wrote:

From the tips the course plays 7,653 yards / par-72. Given the elevation of roughly one mile above sea level the ball will fly a good bit more than at sea level. The corresponding CR and SL is 77.2 and 153 respectively. From the next sets of tees the course is 6,803 yards and a more manageable 73.0 / 149 CR and SL respectively.

Here's what I don't get:  The slope is 153 from the tip and from your "more manageable" tees the rating drops 4.2 strokes yet the slope is still a whopping  149.  In other words, according to the slope and rating the course gets a hell of a lot easier for the scratch golfer who moves up a tee, but it is still remains incredibly difficult for the bogey golfer relative to the scratch.  Is this what you mean by a course that accentuates playability?

Courses with slopes of 149 from the middle tees are generally a freaking playability nightmare for the bogey golfer.  Why should this course be any different?    Or do you know better than those who rated the course?   

And Matt, are you sure you are not doing PR work for anyone?   Because again this reads more like a puff piece aiming to please everyone than a frank description of the pluses and minuses of the course.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

DMoriarty

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:20:36 AM »
Is this a puff piece?

http://golftravel.about.com/od/unitedstates/qt/red-ledges.htm

I am not familiar with the author's other reviews so it is hard to say, but it sure as heck isn't a frank discussion of the golf course's pluses and minuses.   Reading the author's description of attending the openings of this course and another Nicklaus course, it is hard for me to imagine him writing anything critical and risking losing an invitation to a third.   I am not going to fly to Salt Lake based on this reviewer's praise, or Matt's either.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Jason McNamara

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:24:29 AM by Jason McNamara »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 09:41:01 AM »
Is it just me, or does it seem to others also that Jack Nicklaus is making his courses harder than ever?

Sebonack is ridiculously hard, of course.

Dismal River looked very hard to me, even on a calm day, and it must be a bitch when the wind is blowing [frequently].

I've heard two reviews of The Idaho Club, and both said it was one of the hardest courses they've ever played.

And now I see the slope rating for Red Ledges.  Trend?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 09:56:50 AM »
Tom,
Absolutely--add in The Concession with its slope of 155 and I think you definitely have a trend from Nicklaus of building ridiculously hard golf courses. Wasn't Dove Mountain supposed to be really hard for anyone not playing in the Match Play as well?

Painted Valley is really difficult as well--its something like 8100 yards from the tips. Even at the elevation its long and difficult and I didn't play it from back there.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 08:14:30 PM »
Allow me to state my comments on the validity of the slope ratings posted for Red Ledges. I don't see the course being as high as the are posted -- from either the tips or member tees.

Tom D, before you and others leap off the ledge and see some sort of "end of world" outcomes here -- Red Ledges is not sloped correctly from the member tees at minimum. I see the tips being no higher than 150 and the member tees would be at best somewhere in the range of 135-139 tops. Let me also point out Red Ledges plays at 6,800+ yards and from the member marks is really much shorter because of the elevation and Nicklaus does provide increased width for play from those markers and even more strategic elements that are well within the capabilty of most average members.

In regards to the overdosage of difficulties -- the reality is that far too many people attempt to handle tees from which they have little or no chances for success. Then these same folks grouse about a course being unfair or stupid. If anything -- the stupid tag belongs to those folks who believe they have the game to handle what they clearly are not capable in handling. Instead of looking in the mirror and realizing their own limitations -- the easier course is to curse the course and throw it under the bus for ridicule.

One last word on Red Ledges -- Jack and his talented team did a stellar job in creating a course with multiple routes for just about any player to handle. To paraphrase Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations." If people understand what they are capable and not capable in doing when playing any course - the net result will likely be far different.

I have played in my lifetime courses that are beyond any reasonable definition of fairness. Red Ledges is very fair and it only asks those who stand on certain tee boxes -- notably the championship markers to have the kind of game to justify such an undertaking. Nicklaus has added features now -- with very unique internal contours to his greens and the surrounding land areas that tie into such sites.

I played Dismal River shortly after it opened and it gives the "appearance" of being very demanding but the play dimension from what I personally experienced is a good bit different. No doubt some changes were needed at Dismal River -- most notably the par-4 13th -- but I personally believe Dismal River gets a bad wrap because it just so happens to be in Mullen, NE and the airspace for that area's top tier neighboring layout is quite a high bar to approach.

Andy, Painted Valley is not to be played from the tips with the exception of low handicap amateurs and seasoned professionals. I thought the course was quite fair and it did provide alternate routes for just about most plays. There were few "forced do-or-die" type shots. Let me also point out that at that elevation a so-called 8,100 yards course is really 7-8% less than the number posted on the card. For what it's worth -- although Painted Valley is demanding from the tips -- it's no more demanding than Bethpage Black, Oakmont or The Ocean Course at Kiawah.

DMoriarty

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »
Matt are you trained to determine the slope on golf courses?   Did you play the course from the 6800 yard tees?   Can you share your exact calculations where you come up with a slope in the 130's?    Are you really the best person to determine how much more difficult a course is for a bogey golfer than a scratch?

Because you list the slope at 149 from the middle tees!  A slope of 149 is a far distance from 133!    Isnt the maximum 155?    

I know that determining slope and rating are not exact sciences, but the trained raters do have specific criteria to consider, don't they?  

Is it possible that you are inadvertently minimizing the difficulty to justify your praise of the course?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:28:13 PM by DMoriarty »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »

Andy, Painted Valley is not to be played from the tips with the exception of low handicap amateurs and seasoned professionals. I thought the course was quite fair and it did provide alternate routes for just about most plays. There were few "forced do-or-die" type shots. Let me also point out that at that elevation a so-called 8,100 yards course is really 7-8% less than the number posted on the card. For what it's worth -- although Painted Valley is demanding from the tips -- it's no more demanding than Bethpage Black, Oakmont or The Ocean Course at Kiawah.

Matt--that's basically my point. Its as difficult as some of the most difficult championship tests in the country. Its relatively well thought out, but its VERY difficult even from the 7200 yard tees. Especially since a large portion of the stretch goes uphill and there's often signficant wind to deal with.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 08:45:06 PM »
Matt:

Just to clarify -- I am not leaping off any ledges here [red or otherwise].  I was wondering if Mr. Nicklaus is.

Simple question for you:  based on what you saw at Red Ledges, how many players do you know who are capable of playing the tips?  I'll have a follow-up question once I hear your report.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 09:40:47 PM »
Tom D:

Trust me from a field perspective of at least one recent Nicklaus course that Jack has not lost his senses or marbles in regards to the so-called building of over-the-top demanding layouts. My God, people don't throw Bethpage Black or Winged Foot / West or Oakmont under the bus with that criticism do they ? And each of the aforementioned layouts is based upon its sheer demands.

The playabilty elements are alive and well with Red Ledges. People just need to play from tees -- similiar to people deciding upon ski slopes (they should not be handling double diamond slopes when they can get barely past the bunny slopes -- dont you agree?).

The problem I have with people drawing conclusion is often times it comes from pictures alone -- clearly you didn't do that and simply asked a question given what others have posted on a few other layouts -- namely Jack's other new layout in Idaho.

In regards to Red Ledges and its tip tees -- I would say in terms of handicap guidelines I would say those up to a nine (9) might be able to want to try to play from those lengths provided such players have sufficient adequate length off the tee. Guess what Tom -- the percentage of people would be no different than what people do now with tip tee lengths at Bethpage Black, Winged Foot / West, Medinah #3 and other demanding type layouts.

Andy:

I can make the same argument for places like The Ocean Course at Kiawah and it's rated among the best in the USA. Painted Valley has a posted yardage from the tips of over 8,000 yards but when you factor in the altitude and often times elevated tees (the holes just don't run uphill alone -- right?) the EFFECTIVE yardage for the place is likely in the range of 7,300 to 7,400 yards. You also have mega width built into the place to allow for the wind and to give players fair crack at belting a driver or whatever their longest club is when needed. I know of a few courses in the USA where the effetive yardage is also linked to excessively narrow fairways and numerous forced carries to even smaller landing zones, etc, etc.

Given today's technology Painted Valley is well within reach of those most capable in playing such a layout from the tips. I do grant you -- that only the smallest of percentages should even entertain such a thought. And that would be the same for numerous other courses where demands are stringent -- places like Shinnecock Hills, OH/S, Bethpage Black, shall I go on and on and on ?

David:

I have played enough courses in my lifetime to know what I believe is appropriate numbers -- there's one other thing I have over you in regards to Red Ledges -- I actually played the course. There's sufficient width and alternate routes for those playing from the 6,800 yard markers as opposed to those who play from the 7,600 tees. Try to keep this in mind -- you have several holes there where you have elevated tees and coupled that with the altitude elevation of the area too. In sum -- the length dimension makes the course actually play shorter and I played numerous holes there from both markers to get a real feel on what's encountered.

One other thing -- the posted slope from the tips is 153 and I don't see Red Ledges being more demandiing than a number of other demanding courses I have already mentioned on this thread. In my mind - that number would be tops 150. In regards to the member markers the stated slope of 149 is only four points lower than the 153 number but the effective change in yardage is roughly 800+ yards. For a layout to have only four points lower from tip tees to member tees doesn't add up to what I personally saw and played when there.

Another point -- it's not uncommon for the original CR and slope numbers to be stated at a very high number because of the newness factor of the course. I have seen this happen to other courses and usually within a few years the numbers do go down -- in some cases dramatically.

When I stack Red Ledges tip tee CR and SL up against the likes of BB, WF/W and others of that type and the UT-based course is in some cases two strokes more demanding from its posted rating numbers -- then something is amiss in my mind.

You ask is it possible that I am "inadvertently" minimizing the difficulty to justify my praise for the course. Sure anything is possible. Just as it's possible you may be wrong and I''m right here. I have commented on other Nicklaus courses where I saw the demand elements going far beyond reasonableness and that was the case with a number of earlier Bear layouts. Red Ledges does a very smart thing that other great architects usually do -- they make the course APPEAR more demanding than it is and with such stellar scenery it's very e-z to be thrown off one's game when playing there.

One last thing -- after my 18-hole round -- I went out and played the course again with average golfers who were previewing the course for possible membership -- they ranged in handicaps from roughly 10 to 22. I asked then point blank if they thought the course was too demanding from the member-based tees? The answer from each member was no -- they had played tougher and two of them mentioned Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV as a relatively nearby choice over Red Ledges. They enjoyed the course and likely one or two of them plan to join.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 11:41:34 PM »
Matt:

It was actually one of the guys who built The Idaho Club for Nicklaus who told me how difficult it was.  Maybe it's a leap for me to believe him, but not anymore than it is to believe you.

I've got nothing against a course here and there which is built to be incredibly difficult -- Oakmont, Winged Foot (West), yada yada.  But Tillinghast didn't try to make ALL of his courses that way.  My question here from the beginning has been whether this course is really as difficult as you say -- though I was shocked to hear you say it's playable for 9-handicaps from the tips after what you'd said before -- and if this is a trend in all of Nicklaus' work now.

Let me ask it another way.  You've played a lot of Nicklaus' new work over the past five years, way more than I have.  Were there any of those newer ones that are NOT double-black-diamond difficult from the tips?  What was the most player-friendly of the bunch?

DMoriarty

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 11:58:24 PM »
Matt,

You seem to want to argue with me, but it seems your beef ought to be with those who were trained to rate the course and set the slope at a whopping 149 from the middle tees.   Playing many courses doesn't qualify you to pronounce the slope, so I am sure you will understand if I go by their opinion over yours.

Besides, from some of your posts it is not even clear that you understand what slope is, or the difference between slope at rating.    For example, in your first post you wrote From the next sets of tees the course is 6,803 yards and a more manageable 73.0 / 149 CR and SL respectively.  Much more manageable for the scratch, but hardly more manageable for the duffer relative to that scratch.   Yet you nonsensically offered this information to support your conclusion that Nicklaus accentuated playability!  

Also Matt, you keep focusing on the difference in distance between the tees, but that difference would be primarily indicated in the rating, not the slope.   You seem to be lumping them into one which indicates you might not understand them.  

In fact the more you write about high or medium handicap golfers the more it becomes apparent that you have no idea what you are talking about.    There is no way in hell that most of those with a 9 index ought to be playing Bethpage Black from the tips!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:21:15 AM by DMoriarty »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 01:26:18 AM »
Does slope take into account altitude above sea level?  Mile-high courses play about 10% shorter.  Meaning a 6800 yard course on paper plays more like 6200 yards.  Wouldn't a 6200 yard course that slopes at 149 be a holy terror? 

Andy Troeger

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 07:46:33 AM »
Matt,
Tom D. is making my argument for me in a more coherent manner--its about much more than Painted Valley. Painted Valley is reasonably playable, just too hard to be that fun for most of us.

What are these courses that are even harder?

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 01:25:05 PM »
I have played lots of golf in and around Park City---all the high-end privates, and many of the modestly-priced daily fee courses.  I played two rounds at Red Ledges consecutively about one month ago, and a day or so later, played Victory Ranch for the first time.

During the trip I also revisited all the other area all-stars for the 5th or 6th time---Promontory, Tuhaye, Glenwild, Jeremy Ranch, etc.

In my opinion Red Ledges is very difficult.  There are some terrifying uphill approach shots, lots of tangential scrubland, and greens that are super, super firm...and will remain so until another aeration cycle or two.  I can't imagine a 9 handicap playing well from the blues, never mind the blacks, unless he was very long off the tee, and having a really good day.

I found Victory Ranch to be delightful---hundreds and hundreds of acres of waving fields of fescue, lots of length, but lots of exhilirating downhill shots (#1,  #10, #17, and both drive and approach on #18.)

I think JN's Painted Valley GC at Promontory is brutally tough---the middle eight holes (6--13) play uphill into the prevailing wind.  The first 5 and last 5 play downhill, downwind.

The Dye Course at Promontory is, believe it or not, the "user friendly" GC on property, and according to members of the professional staff does nearly 10 times the number of rounds as the Nicklaus GC.

Glenwild is a delight, both GC and club, and just as much fun, and for a pittance in comparison, is  Arnold Palmer's Jeremy Ranch.  Tuhaye will go unmentioned because my mom once told me if you don't have anything nice to say........

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 07:12:56 PM »
Tom D:

You can believe or not believe whoever you wish. I have not played The Idaho Club so I will not comment there. I have played a number of extremely hard courses from a wide variety of different architects over the years and for those to believe Red Ledges is borderline unfair or a desire by Jack to simply throw all the obstacles at-will needs to play places like The Ocean Course at Kiawah or others of this type to see when things truly go above the boundaries of relative fairness.

Nicklaus gets dissed often on this site because of who he is and the approach he has taken on designs. I have commented previously that early Nicklaus has changed his approach to courses and you see more variety -- less formulaic greens -- more interesting land movements with holes shaped in partnership with the land -- and not standing grossly apart from such topography. To listen to Jack now when he expounds about his design philosophy I see a person who genuinely wants to make playability a functionality of his designs. Provided -- that such players play his courses with their own limitations firmly in place - that means the proper tees when held against their handicap level.

When I say playable -- for Red Ledges -- for the 9-handicap types -- it depends upon the nature of the game that such a 9-handicap has. Some 9-handicaps will have an easier time than others because of the wherewithal to carry shots / distance they earn, etc, etc. I am not suggesting any 9-handicap types would easily match their scores from such tees when held against member tees. But that's nodifferent than if the same type of player(s) played PV from tips and regular tee boxes.

In regards to your last question -- I am going to spend some time so I can post a few key courses that are not double-diamond difficult types but offer a much more elastic approach. I should have a few answers shortly on that front.

Joel:

A few comments on your latest post -- I too liked Victory Ranch -- in spots. The land is brutally severe and as a result you get massive UP and DOWNHILL holes. The quality of the land at Red Ledges is night and day beyond what you have at Victory Ranch in my mind. In addition, Rees Jones has unfortunately applied his hop scotch creation of tee pads -- some have as many as 5 which are square shaped and stick out like a sore thumb. Counter that to Red Ledges and you can see how skillfully Team Nicklaus placed tee markers and tried to have them blend in rather than STANDOUT as seen at Victory Ranch.

To Rees Jones credit the back nine at Victory Ranch is what saves the day there. I played it with a 20-25 mph wind out of the west and the course adds even more demands with the hay-like rough that you forgot to mention. Miss a fairway at Victory Ranch and it's a donation in most cases. No doubt Red Ledges doesn't give away free passes -- but you can play errant balls in a number of instances when compared to Victory Ranch.

I really enjoyed the final three holes at Victory Ranch -- they are some of the best I have played from the layouts of Rees Jones that I have played.

When you speak about Red Ledges and its difficulty -- the issue is really what tees people play and what handicap level they have for their respective game. Candidly, I get tired of the 19th hole grousing from those who bitch and moan about a course's difficulty when they really should have played from a more forward tee position in order to provide a more level playing field for themselves. I am not saying you are like this -- so don't misunderstand me -- but far too often players will throw a respective course under the bus because it's e-z to blame their shortcomings on the course rather than their desire to bite off more than they can reasonably chew.

Joel,. the member tees of 6,800 yards are effectively much shorter at Red Ledges. In addition, the playing angles and width of the landing areas from those tee markers makes the opportunities to score from those tees much more fairer than you mentioned initially in your comments in my mind.

I too share your love for Glenwild -- one of TF's best layouts and one that is simply overlooked by so many people. No doubt few people figure UT as being worth their time to play quality golf. That is their loss.

On the Painted Valley front -- I can understand your comments on the demand meter -- in fact, Painted Valley demonstrates my case on how grand Red Ledges is when held together. Red Ledges has spectacular land, a first rate routing and a truly marvelous combination of holes. In my mind, Red Ledges will elevate UT golf in much the same manner as Rock Creek did for Montana and for what Ballyneal has done for Colorado.

David:

Let me try again to see if I can break through the self-created misunderstandings you have on this topic thus far.

I understand the distinction clearly between CR (which is geared towards the scratch player) and that of slope (which is added to the mixture to deal with the relative difficulty of a course for players who are not scratch golfers).

David, it's not uncommon for states with a growing golf course population to often overstate the nature of a few courses -- especially those designed by big name players in the field. When Nicklaus opened Geronimo at Desert Mountain (Scottsdale, AZ) the CR amd SL were off the charts. Within a few years -- the same course was adjusted accordingly DOWNWARD on both fronts. This has happened numerous times and I'll be more than happy to state such instances specifically.

UT doesn't have a solid and deep roster of top tier layouts -- especially when held against national standards of note. Too often those entrusted with such a process only have lower tier courses to use as a basis and often times when that happens there can be an overeaction when such numbers are applied. My comments - which you once again missed -- is that given the range of courses I have played across the USA I have had the advantage in playing bonafide high CR and slope layouts in a number of instances. When I see Red Ledges rated with a higher CR and SL than Bethpage Black something is indeed amiss. Candidly, in the metro NYC area I firmly believe that the top tier courses -- not all mind you -- show be rated even higher on both accounts than they are now.

When you say you"ll go by "their opinion" - again, try to realize that many of these same people are applying such numbers in a limited vacuum and as a result it's very likely they will skew higher than what is indeed accurate.

David, the CR from member tees at Red Ledges is likely more accurate than what the slope says. Let me help you out OK -- I have played the course -- you have not. You are making left field comments on the nature of the course when I have actually played it and seen others do likewise -- from both markers.

I have to wonder if it's in your DNA to simply argue over and over again and not see fit to admit that maybe, just maybe, Ward has a point which you have stubbornly refused to acknowledge.

Red Ledges at 6,800 yards is far from that effective yardage given the altitude locally. You also have wider landing areas and more accessible playing angles to the greens from those tees -- to believe that at member's tees -- which are 800+ yards shorter is only four points lower in slope is nonsense. Both the slope and CR should be lowered accordingly. Let me also point out another relatively new course that is nearby in CO -- Greg Norman's Cornerstone in the greater Montrose area. Here you have a course that is LONGER than Red Ledges and it actually sports a lower CR and slope from both the tips and member tees. I can honestly say that Cornerstone which has a 142 slope from the tips -- is not some sort pf pushover layout when held against Red Ledges. To think that Red Ledges is 11 points higher makes no sense to me.

On the member tee front Cornerstone weighs in at 73.5 / 138 and again plays longer from those markers (7,227) than what you see at Red Ledges. Before you leap to type what about the length at Cornerstone -- can member tees really be 7,227 yards? Yes, when you begin to understand that Cornerstone is at 9,000 foot elevation and can impact distances of 8-10%.

My point on highlighting Red Ledges to Cornerstone is to show how CO applies the numbers in a much more reasonable and fairer fashion.

David, I always chuckle at your inclusoin of the "duffer" into the equation. I love your incessant self-righteous appeal to the Joe Sixpacks of the golfing world. Might it be too much to ask for a defintion of the term duffer? I mean are we talking about players who routinely hit grounds balls -- play military golf (e.g. left/right/left) at-will. If so, then these folks need more time on the practice tee than any course of quality -- beyond the likes of Red Ledges.

Let me point out another error on your part -- different golfers can vary greatly in terms of their overall golf game skills even if they have the same handicap. What I meant about the single digit player being able to play Bethpage Black (those at 9 or better) is that you can have players who can hit the ball a long ways and not be impacted to the same degree as those who hit the ball shorter but can score better when they get nearer to the green(s). I am not saying that all nine handicap players can play Bethpage Black but it would be inane to suggest that only those who are extremely low handicap types can play the tips is also not accurate either.

Last point -- Red Ledges uses the bold topography to strike fear in the minds of players when playing there. It is spectacular and it's very e-z for people to be intimidated by such mental interference caused by the architect. There are a number of more demanding courses I can name than Red Ledges and some of those are not so kind to the "duffer" you champion. Try Pine Valley for size -- or Oakmont -- or Oakland Hillls / South, etc, etc, etc.

Andy:

A quick response -- Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV is harder than Painted Valley and Red Ledges. In fact, Red Ledges is a great case point to show how playability is more possible there than at Painted Valley -- the exact opposite of what Joel believes. Interesting.

Jim:

You are right -- if the 149 number was accurate than your presumption would be true. The slope from the members tee at Red Ledges is far less than what is stated now in my mind for the reasons I have already mentioned and repeated to a few others before and now.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »

A quick response -- Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV is harder than Painted Valley and Red Ledges. In fact, Red Ledges is a great case point to show how playability is more possible there than at Painted Valley -- the exact opposite of what Joel believes. Interesting.

I am trying to understand this comment, but I'm still confused!  For the record:  I have played both RL and PV twice--Red Ledges 20 minutes between rounds, and Painted Valley two years between rounds.  I much prefer RL--more fun, more scenic, pretty exciting, and when those greens soften up in a year or so it will be that much better.  Painted Valley is a tough slog, and not nearly as much fun for me.  (BTW--I am that proverbial 9 handicap under discussion---7.8 index, to be precise.  BUT--I only hit drives (sea level) 220--240 if I'm lucky, hit tons of woods/hybrids for approach shots, and try and get up-and-in for par)

Jed Rammell

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »
I'll echo Joel's thoughts on Victory Ranch - - - I thought it was tremendous. For me, the front nine had some really good strategic holes (and was my favorite nine) and the back winds it way up a plateau before climaxing on the 17th tee. I walked off the 18th green and couldn't wait to visit again. Rees missed a couple of opportunities on par 4's, but other than that, I loved it. The land is much less savage than Ward's Wolf Creek, and square tee boxes mean nothing to me. We played it from the back tees, and I never thought it was out of control in terms of difficulty.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 08:45:17 PM »
Jed:

You missed my point / re: Wolf Creek. The issue in which I raised Wolf Creek was to Andy T's question on overall course toughness beyond the likes of Painted Valley. That's where Wolf Creek got inserted.

Let me point out in regards to Victory Ranch -- the cart rides there are akin to an amusement park -- do you remember the one for the par-3 6th hole? I mean how many twists and turns does have one to make before you finally get to the green itself?

My point on tee pads is a simple one -- at Victory Ranch they stand out like a sore thumb -- they are stacked like airplanes waiting to take off from O'Hare. At Red Ledges they blend into the natural landscape so that they don't stand out and look forced into the terrain.

The other issue for Victory Ranch was the playability dimension -- missing fairways there likely results in balls finding the beautiful hay-like fescue which doesn't allow for recovery options.

Jed, help me out -- what was more strategic on the front when compared to the back? For me the backl nine made up for lost opportunities that the front missed save for one or two holes.

Joel Z:

My point -- liikely poorly communicated originally -- is that Red Ledges even as is -- is more playable than Painted Valley for a greater range of handicap types. Clearly, those who have choice seem to prefer the Dye original 18 based on total rounds played at promontory.

Tom D:

To highlight one quick Nicklaus course which is quite elastic and playable and has a range of wonderful design features -- see Outlaw at Desert Mountain in Scottsdale, AZ as one quick example. The course isn't long -- likely just over 7.000 yards and has little intrusion from the native desert areas. A number of others here on this site have played it and many enjoyed it thoroughly. I will list a few others shortly.

Jed Rammell

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 09:26:07 PM »
Matt -

I'll give you my rundown of the front nine:
1- Make the choice to challenge the hole with driver (bringing the water into play) or lay back with hybrid. Back right pin is really good.
2 - We played the par 3 to the middle right location (the best one on the green). You have to make a decision on how long you want your lag putt to be. A slope helps move the ball to the hole if you are aggressive.
3 - A cool 4 1/2 par par 5. If you challenge the right bunkers you get a big hop in the fairway which leaves an iron into the green.
4 - A chance to make birdie on this short par 4 if you are willing to hit driver (3 wood is probably the play, as it gets narrow if you hit driver).
5 - A wonderful cape style par 5, on terrific terrain. The green sits out on the edge of the plateau, inviting you to make a 4, or a 7.
6 - Played this par 3 to the back left pin (has a really cool shelf which takes guts to get to). I didn't notice the cart ride.
7 - Tough par 4. Hitting driver brings the bunkers into play, but if you play back with 3 wood you have over 200 for your second.
8 - Loved this par 4. Can challenge the left bunker with a 280 carry, or can thread a fairway wood into the fat of the fairway. Really a nice collection/chipping area right of this green.
9 - A missed opportunity for Rees. Green is built to accept the a shot from the right side of the fairway, but the fairway bunkers hug the left side. The bunkers should have been reversed.

Jed Rammell

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 09:29:47 PM »
Matt -

I also don't get the playability issue. If a player mind-numbingly brings out driver on every hole, then I suppose a person could call it penal . . . but from 220-280, the fairways were 30-40 yards wide. 3 wood takes a lot of the narrowness out of play. Of course, if you can get driver in play, you are rewarded with speed slots or much shorter approaches. I felt the course was almost too easy from the tee.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 09:45:03 PM »
Matt:

Outlaw at Desert Mountain is 6-7 years old.  I know that only because Jim Lipe was telling me about it when we were working on Sebonack, and Jim Urbina had played it by then.  [I haven't been back to Desert Mountain since I played 36 holes there and watched Danny Briggs break the course record at Geronimo while playing in a Skins game against yours truly!]

For reference, I am asking these questions because I am starting to think Sebonack added some new difficulties to Mr. Nicklaus' arsenal, but that he hasn't thrown out any of the old ones, so his courses are all super-tough.  I hope that's not the case but it seems like everything I hear about has a slope of 150 [whether or not it is justified].  Incidentally, some of the slope ratings for my own courses have been so low that the clubs are embarrassed to put them on the scorecard, although after the state associations see the scores posted they tend to go back and revise the slope ratings upward.  I agree with you that there are a lot of things which slope does not quantify correctly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back