News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

The Idaho Club - SandPoint, ID with Pics.
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:03:43 PM »
The Idaho Club is a new Jack Nicklaus course in the Pacific Northwest near the northern Washington/Idaho border. (http://www.theidahoclub.com/index.cfm). It’s located just outside of Sandpoint, ID which is 75 minutes from downtown Spokane, WA. The course meanders over a gorgeous piece of property that butts up to a low mountain range to the north and the Pack River to the south with Lake Pend Oreille just beyond that. Originally an 18 hole public course known as Hidden Lakes GC, the updated routing uses a new piece of land on the other side of the highway. While I'm not as travelled as many of you, this is hands down one of the most drop-dead stunner courses I've ever played.  That being said, its also one of the most difficult courses I've played but given its setting I didn't mind one bit. 

The course has many elements at play of which the forced carry is the most noticeable as I counted at least 20 to be negotiated. While a few holes like 12 and 13 were a bit of a breather, the golfer is constantly asked to make their best swing on most swings, especially from the tee box. While the fairways are mostly generous, if you’re just off them in just about any direction, its usually tough going from there.  The bunkering style was well done and I felt overall they were placed in strategic locations more often than not to induce at least some risk/reward action.  The greens fit the property well as they were undulating and challenging whole being on the correct part of them was needed to score well. While the course seemed walkable, it would certainly be a difficult one due to a few long transitions and the hilly nature of the new property.

Overall I felt the course’s playing style was a cross between the heroic and penal categories as those elements required on several occasions. While I’ve never played Pine Valley, The Idaho Club seems to me to be in the same spirit in that it combines beauty, heroism, and exacting shot requirements to put even the best players’ abilities to the test.

With that I’ve included a few additional pictures of selected holes...

#1 - Par 4

Right out of the gate, the course is asking.. "Did you bring your game today?"   ;D

A look from behind on this cape style opener.

#3 - Par 4

A straightaway 4 with a neat green...ask Andy about that pond in front of the fairway... ;)

#4 - Par 3

This is one of the holes from the teaser thread.  A look back at the hole from behind the green.

#5 - Par 5

A gorgeous yet demanding tee shot. From the fairway one must decide to challenge a rock out cropping to get home in 2 or play safe.

A look from behind the green with the obligatory "behind" shot of a GCA.com celeb!!

#6 - Par 4

A downhill par 4 tee shot...

With a very very neat and challenging green complex.  We stopped here for a few minutes to play around and try some different chips/putts.

#7 - Par 3

Gulp, a long par 3 that's all carry.  Time to cowboy up!!  ;D

#8 - Par 4

Just an amazingly pretty hole that tempts the longer hitter to have a go at...

#9 - Par 5

After this tee shot..

This is the approach into the green after the layup.  Bogey this is what the hole looks like from the front side...it was a really interesting green location and this pic doesn't do it justice.

#10 - Par 5

Another demanding tee shot back over the marsh to an elevated fairway.

A look back at the hole from behind the green.  You can see how much that cliff/plateau really encourages the player to make thier choice with the 2nd shot.

#11 - Par 4

The approach into this longish par 4.  Mr. Franklin hit a tee ball on this one that would have made John Daly jealous!  ;)

#12 - Par 5

Getting back into the flatter parts of the property, the tee shot where challenging the bunkers will leave a shorter shot in.

#13 - Par 4

Tee shot with bunkers on the inside corner of the dogleg.

#14 - Par 3

The previously shown par 3 tee shot to a well protected green.

#15 - Par 4

A longish cape hole where you really have to pick how much you're going to bite off.

The approach into the green with a fantastic back-drop

#16 - Par 3

A view of the 16th green from the 18th tee...the other pic didn't turn out so well!  :'(

#17 - Par 4

A look back at the hole from behind the green.  The approach is played over the river!

#18 - Par 4

The approach into the 18th green.

John Mayhugh

Re: The Idaho Club - SandPoint, ID with Pics.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:35:03 PM »
Very scenic.  How many sleeves of balls required?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 12:37:12 PM »

That depends on one's handicap John,

Safe to say I didn't break 100 that day!!  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 12:37:20 PM »

For Kalen, probably minimum three.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Daryl David

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 01:08:42 PM »
What is the status of the development?  Selling lots or stuck dead in the economy?  Also, have they rebuilt the clubhouse?  The original Hidden Lakes log clubhouse burned a few years ago.   it was massive and was some fire as I recall.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 01:15:54 PM »
What is the status of the development?  Selling lots or stuck dead in the economy?  Also, have they rebuilt the clubhouse?  The original Hidden Lakes log clubhouse burned a few years ago.   it was massive and was some fire as I recall.

Daryl,

I'm not sure what the status of the development is.  I have the owner's email address if you'd like to speak to him directly.

The clubhouse has indeed burnt down, but the foundation is still there so I'm not sure if they plan to re-use it or not.  For now they have a temporary clubhouse, a permanent structure, which did the trick just fine during our visit.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »

For Kalen, probably minimum three.

Kalen and I both went through at least that if I remember correctly. Granted--I found a few balls that I deposited back into the wilderness later in the round that would be included so I probably only ended up around -7 (golf balls) for the day. I'll try to write more later, but its definitely a tough ball-eating course, but at the same time I'd like to see it again to see if I could do better.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 02:04:08 PM »
Nice-looking place.  The one thing that stuck out was the pic of #6.  The green looks pretty cool in the following picture, but why didn't the green go into that semi-circular quarry?

Could be possible that the rolling landform where the green is now fits the hole better, but that quarry looks like a great place to put a green...

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 02:48:59 PM »
Nice-looking place.  The one thing that stuck out was the pic of #6.  The green looks pretty cool in the following picture, but why didn't the green go into that semi-circular quarry?

Could be possible that the rolling landform where the green is now fits the hole better, but that quarry looks like a great place to put a green...

That's a good question. I really liked the green they came up with and it was right next to the 7th green so Jack found a good combo. But a green in the quarry could have been cool too.
Mr Hurricane

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 03:24:47 PM »
Looks cool to me.

Kalen,

Are you going to do one of these for Black Rock? I'd be interested in the groups perspective on individual holes there, especially since it is such a polarizing course.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 04:15:09 PM »
Thank you Kalen. I'm really digging this hole.  As hoped, it apears that if one can carry the rock covered bank on the left portion of the photograph the ball will bound forward and right toward the hole and pin location shown.

Heroic stuff indeed.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Rob Rigg

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »
Kalen - great pics, looks like a stunner - both the course and the setting.

Cart ball?

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 04:48:09 PM »
Ahhh...me...after seeing that, I'd bring a fishing pole and leave the clubs at home.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 05:14:43 PM »
Brad,

Good question. I'm guessing like Jim it was apart of the quarry and Jack just decided not to use it....it certainly would have made the distance to #7 tee that much further.  I will agree also that the 6th green site is no slouch.  Outside of #9 its probably my next favorite on the entire course.

Sean,

There has already been a review done on Black Rock by Tommy Williamson.  I suppose I could dig it up and add a few comments.

Bogey,

I really loved that 9th hole, especially the green complex..it was outstanding.  I made a mess of the hole utlimately but when faced with my original approach shot I was thinking about how "heroic" I was going to be!!   ;D

Rob,

I wouldn't call it cart ball, but it would be a tough walk yes.  Someone who is in shape would be able to get around but certainly your average weekend warrior would be huffing and puffing a bit.  The only real long transition was from 8 green to 9 tee...Up the hill, probably a 300-400 yard walk.  And yes it really is a stunner....it was absolutly gorgeous despite the fact I was getting beat up as a high capper.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 05:25:41 PM »
It doesn't look a whole lot different than it did when I played it several years ago...I had forgotten how "wet" this course is...ugh!!!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 05:33:14 PM »
It doesn't look a whole lot different than it did when I played it several years ago...I had forgotten how "wet" this course is...ugh!!!

Craig,

There is still alot of water...but the routing is almost entirely different.  Only a few holes follow in thier original corridors and holes 5-11 are on the other side of the highway.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »
A shame that 6 and 9 are both going to finish in backyards (which may also be why the quarry wasn't used on 6).

As to Craig's point... between the water and the houses, you look at the master plan for this course and think, "OK, so is this Orlando or Naples?"

Obviously the views are far better, and so is the weather in season, but water in play on 14 holes seems like a lot for Idaho.
http://www.theidahoclub.com/index.cfm?id=9

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 06:11:39 PM »
A shame that 6 and 9 are both going to finish in backyards (which may also be why the quarry wasn't used on 6).

As to Craig's point... between the water and the houses, you look at the master plan for this course and think, "OK, so is this Orlando or Naples?"

Obviously the views are far better, and so is the weather in season, but water in play on 14 holes seems like a lot for Idaho.
http://www.theidahoclub.com/index.cfm?id=9

Jason,

I know water on the course is not a hugely popular GCA.com tenet....but the water on this course is not out of place one bit.  The entire area in Northern Idaho is chock full of lakes, streams, rivers, ponds, low lying marshes, etc.  Seattle and Portland aren't the only ones that get all that moisture off the Pacific.

But don't take my word for it, go look at Google Maps and you will see this is very representative of the entire sub-region.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=48.125768,-116.94397&spn=1.789355,3.609009&t=h&z=8

Andy Troeger

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 06:17:56 PM »
Now that I have a little more time...

I have mixed feelings about this course. The setting is absolutely spectacular--the pictures really just don't do it justice, especially the middle stretch. Most of the holes are well thought out--the 9th has been mentioned a couple of times and I think the par five tenth is just as good or better. The length of the course is not overbearing, its about 7100 yards with a par of 71. The par three 4th is a little gem and I did enjoy the third, particularly after skipping my poorly hit tee shot across the water. I was too busy looking down in disgust to watch, but I think Kalen and Jim said it skipped three times and actually bounded out well into the fairway.

My criticism of the course, especially while we were playing, is that its too dang hard because of all of the lost ball/water hazard/penalty shot situations. If you hit good shots its a heck of a lot of fun--Jim made the front nine look pretty playable. However, if you miss a fairway by more than a few feet the ball is just gone. The corridors themselves have some width, especially on certain holes, but most holes had a forced carry and at least 4-5 holes have a river/ravine right in front of the green.

Even with that, because of all the good features and individual holes I still like the course quite a bit. It definitely falls behind Rock Creek, Black Rock, and Gozzer Ranch and wouldn't be on any national top 100 lists IMO, but it might be #3 in Idaho and would be comparable in quality to many of the private clubs in Arizona that I've seen including DM Chiricahua and Outlaw, Stone Canyon, and Blacktstone.

If there was a way to improve the playability aspect of the quarry holes, the stretch from #5-11 would be one of the finest I've ever played. There is a lot of water on the original side--but its a natural river and water feature and I think the course is routed through there about as well as could be expected.

And its definitely cartball--the current ride from the temporary clubhouse to the 1st tee is very long, the ride across the road from #4 to #5 is long, the one coming back isn't too bad but isn't short, and I don't remember foot-bridges across most of the crossing hazards so you'd have to walk all the way around (about 20 times). Someone in good shape could walk it, but it wouldn't be my recommendation.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »
Andy...#3 in Idaho?  Better than Circling Raven? Better than Gozzer and Black Rock? Better than that course outside of Boise (the name escapes me)? Better than Tamarack?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 06:50:26 PM »
Andy...#3 in Idaho?  Better than Circling Raven? Better than Gozzer and Black Rock? Better than that course outside of Boise (the name escapes me)? Better than Tamarack?

Craig,

He said it was behing Gozzer and Black Rock and ahead of Circling...which I would agree with as well.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 07:24:33 PM »
What makes it rate high (#3)? It's a tough slog in very average scenery. So what's the big deal?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Rigg

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Garland,

The scenery is only average for those of us who live in the PNW :)

Stunningly average? Interesting.

Definitely sounds like a tough hike that is probably not worth it unless you are REALLY on your game.

Sean Leary

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »
Garland,

You don't think that this course looks interesting? There is a place for hard courses too.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »
Hold on guys--I said it "MIGHT" be #3 in Idaho. Its definitely behind Black Rock and Gozzer Ranch and its a smidge ahead of Circling Raven which is currently #5. In my head when I made that comment I was thinking that I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Idaho Club is #3 in Idaho next time Digest's state list comes out. I won't be surprised if its not.

And...to be honest I could see how some people might absolutely hate it. Kalen and Jim can attest that I said in the car when Kalen was talking about posting these photos that I thought some GCA'ers wouldn't be impressed. I love the mountains and the scenery so its my type of setting.

And for you PNW homers, Paa-Ko Ridge in New Mexico is just as good, if not better, aesthetically.  :D ;D  Include the entire West next time!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back